bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 8th Nov 2012, 07:25   #1
AT0MAC
Mac Mod'er

AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Expand JBOD in OS X Mountain Lion?

I am currently building a server that is going to run Mountain Lion. I am practically done building but before I start installing software I want to know one thing:

Can I expand my 5TB JBOD later without loosing any data?

I don't need more space now, but if I cant add later I better buy the last disc before I complete the build.
AT0MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 10:26   #2
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
You've not provided much information. How have you configured the JBOD? Using disk utility to create a concatenated desk set I assume? What hardware? (Hackintosh?) What drives? What drive controller?

Not that it really matters as I don't believe you have any 'reliable' way to add a drive to a JBOD set. You can probably hack it if you dig deep enough and work at a low level but my advice - don't go looking!

What are you using for backup? And why are you using JBOD when a striped raid set will be quicker without making your risk of data loss any greater? (Actually it couldn't get any worse as JBOD is terrible)

My advice:
1. Don't set up a 5TB JBOD, go with RAID 5 to get protection from a drive failure.
2. Make sure your backup is reliable, especially if you are using JBOD
3. Test your backups ability to restore
4. Test your RAID 5 can rebuild after a drive failure
5. Test you can restore the OS on the server without losing your data
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 16:21   #3
AT0MAC
Mac Mod'er

AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.AT0MAC is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
You've not provided much information.
Ok here we go:
Quote:
How have you configured the JBOD? Using disk utility to create a concatenated desk set I assume?
Yes
Quote:
What hardware?
Asrock B75M-ITX motherboard, Intel 3225 i3 CPU and more, all can be found @hackingtosh.info
Quote:
(Hackintosh?)
Yes
Quote:
What drives?
So far the JBOD will be a Hitachi 5K3000 2TB and a 5K3000 3TB, OS is on a Plextor M3 64GB that is not part of the JBOD. Will expand with a 3rd data drive when the need is here.
Quote:
What drive controller?
Intel B75 Express
Quote:
What are you using for backup?
Crashplan+ in the cloud
Quote:
And why are you using JBOD when a striped raid set will be quicker without making your risk of data loss any greater? (Actually it couldn't get any worse as JBOD is terrible)
I don't think you are right there, the difference in a RAID0 and a JBOD system is that in JBOD the discs are still separate, just spreads data across the next disc when one disc is filled up. A RAID0 system shares the data across discs for higher write/read speed than what one disc could do. Also meaning that if you make RAID0 with two disc you only have half the file if the other disc fails - in JBOD you will still have all the files on the still working disc.

Quote:
My advice:
1. Don't set up a 5TB JBOD, go with RAID 5 to get protection from a drive failure.
2. Make sure your backup is reliable, especially if you are using JBOD
3. Test your backups ability to restore
4. Test your RAID 5 can rebuild after a drive failure
5. Test you can restore the OS on the server without losing your data
My answers:
1. No can do as I only have two drives, RAID5 needs at least 3. Also, OSX ML don't support RAID5 and I have no space for a separate drive controller that does.
2. It is reliable, off site in a totally different country.
3. I did, and it worked.
4. No can do as mentioned in 1.
5. I know I can as that is on a separate drive.

...you never answered my question, I have now answered a bunch of yours
Old 9th Nov 2012, 11:29   #4
AT0MAC
Mac Mod'er

Never mind, got my answer another place in the web, and yes I can wait with adding a drive until later, it will not mess any of the existing data up.

/over and out
Old 9th Nov 2012, 13:03   #5
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
If you update the thread with an answer it may help someone else later down the line

Edit: I've done it for you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1485795
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2012, 14:45   #6
AT0MAC
Mac Mod'er

Quote:
If you update the thread with an answer it may help someone else later down the line

Edit: I've done it for you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1485795
Yep, that's the one... Thank you