bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 9th Nov 2012, 07:01   #1
russ555
Supermodder

russ555 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Internet being really slow.

For the last few days connecting to web pages, wow or steam can take 30-60 seconds and it is getting really annoying.

Firefox and chrome says connecting and usually the page will eventually load although sometimes parts of the page will be incomplete.

Steam just takes a while to display store pages and World of Warcraft will hang on connecting or success for a while.

I have tried disabling firewall/antivirus and that seemed to work for 2 mins before the problem came back. I have also restarted my homehub and changed to google dns and I am know out of ideas
Old 9th Nov 2012, 07:10   #2
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
Did you contact your ISP?? It's probably on their end.. also.. I got a feeling that your computer may be bogged down.. have you done any scans recently??
Old 9th Nov 2012, 07:19   #3
russ555
Supermodder

Contacting call centers is always a last resort I will run some scans and if that doesn't find anything I will contact BT.
Old 9th Nov 2012, 07:20   #4
Gaming_freak_10
Hypermodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
Contacting call centers is always a last resort :P I will run some scans and if that doesn't find anything I will contact BT.
OK, Keep us up to date if you manage to find out what's going on!
Old 9th Nov 2012, 10:14   #5
russ555
Supermodder

Did a scan with walwarebytes and AVAST both were clear. Now I get to phone BT
Old 9th Nov 2012, 10:36   #6
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Might be worth going to speedtest.net and seeing if your ping is especially high or your speeds especially slow.
Do you have an alternate machine on the same network to test?
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2012, 10:52   #7
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.Votick is definitely a rep cheat.
Also check over your DNS servers, I use around 5 forwarders on my home server.

This week Google has been taking an age to do lookups and it took me a good 30seconds for a page to load while it went through other dns servers to find the result. Swapped the priority to opendns and it's loading instantly

| Apple Mac Mini (late 2012) | Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM 2.6GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz |
|Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD | LG IPS225V X 2 |

http://stats.bish.pro/
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/cbishop92/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2012, 11:56   #8
russ555
Supermodder

I phoned BT and things went pretty much as expected.

Apparently download speed is measured in hertz and having too many games consoles (his words not mine) installed on your pc can cause your internet to slow down.

He did find around 6gb of temporary files though so it wasn't a total waste of time.

He then declared the problem solved even though pages were still slow to load. He also said he would phone back tomorrow to make sure everything is still ok.

My ping in WoW is around 30ms which is normal.

Just tried browsing on my 360 and it seemed to be having problems too.

I was going to try open dns but when I saw how simple the google one was to set up I went with that one instead. I will give it a try now.

Last edited by russ555; 9th Nov 2012 at 12:05.
russ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2012, 12:06   #9
russ555
Supermodder

switching to OpenDNS didn't help so I'm going to try using my friends laptop later.
Old 9th Nov 2012, 12:24   #10
russ555
Supermodder

It seems swapping to my friends old homehub has sorted the problem
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:44   #11
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
Apparently download speed is measured in hertz and having too many games consoles (his words not mine) installed on your pc can cause your internet to slow down.
Ahahahahahahaha! Classic.

Sorry, this isn't helpful, but that statement is priceless.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote