bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 10th Nov 2012, 11:44   #1
Ra6
Multimodder

Ra6 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
NZXT Phantom leds

Hello everybody!

I'm planning to mod a little bit my Phantom case (black with blue leds), and first of all, I would like to change those blue leds to red ones, but I don't know what voltage do they use or what kind of leds do I have to buy...

can anybody help me please?

Thankyou!

Edit: Forgot to post some pics! ^^'

Power LEDs:

Fan controller LEDs:

Last edited by Ra6; 10th Nov 2012 at 21:52.
Ra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 18:28   #2
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
You can use a multi-meter to check the voltage- use the probes on the led leads where they leave the pcb. If the board is powered from a sata or molex connector chances are they are 12v leds, but check anyway.

Then you need to measure the diameter of the led- they look like 5mm but again, check with some callipers or compare them to some drill bits to work it out.

The just go to ebay or whichever electronics store you prefer and pick out some red leds of the correct voltage and size.
Old 11th Nov 2012, 18:52   #3
Ra6
Multimodder

Thank you! So I think that I would try some 3mm 12v red leds, could that work well?
Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:23   #4
Lostconfession
Multimodder

Lostconfession has yet to learn the way of the DremelLostconfession has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The firs two LED on the first picture seem to be 5 mm the second image with the LED at a backward bend are 3 mm.

Voltage wise all LED require 3 ~3.5 volt and around 25 to 30 milli amp's. No more then this or the life expectancy of your LED will be very short then the usual 16,000 hour of use time.

The most important to know about LED is the degree of light angel. Some are 60 degree and other are 90 to 95 degree of focus light angel. Second is the LCM (luminescent) which is the brightness. Most LED are around 650 LCM but the super bright LED are around 1,000 to 1,500 LCM and higher.

Ebay is truly your friend unless you want just a small handful around 5 or 6 led then radio shack is your other friend.

To check polarity their are a simple way to tell which is the Anode (+) and which is the cathode (-)

Last edited by Lostconfession; 12th Nov 2012 at 00:35. Reason: needed to add a bit more information
Lostconfession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:23   #5
Lostconfession
Multimodder

Lostconfession has yet to learn the way of the DremelLostconfession has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Opps sorry dual reply Someone delete this post thank you in advance

Last edited by Lostconfession; 12th Nov 2012 at 00:30. Reason: delete, accidently posted twice
Old 12th Nov 2012, 07:44   #6
Tealc
Multimodder

Tealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Voltage wise all LED require 3 ~3.5 volt and around 25 to 30 milli amp's.
Sorry that's not quite right.

The voltage a LED require varies depending on the colour.
Red are 1.8v-2.0v and White/Blue are 3.0-3.5v
Other colours such as Orange, Green, Yellow occupy the voltage values between them.

Using a Red LED where the circuit is designed for Blue might cause the Red LED to pull too much current and may reduce it's lifespan.
Old 12th Nov 2012, 09:46   #7
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post

Other colours such as Orange, Green, Yellow occupy the voltage values between them.

Using a Red LED where the circuit is designed for Blue might cause the Red LED to pull too much current and may reduce it's lifespan.
?

You can buy 3v red led's.

Here

and here

..other places too.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 16:55   #8
Lostconfession
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealc View Post

your partly right But they do not very in full spend. some LED require 2 to 3.5 volt. I honestly never seen an led requiring less then 2 volt :/

but i have seen red LED with LCM at 1,600 that does require 3v and 30 milli amps. But no if the LED is 1.8v it will not require more current I have yet to see a 1.8v LED that needs over 35 mill amp.
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:05   #9
Ra6
Multimodder

First of all thanks to everybody, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still some confusion about the LED to use... ^^'
I have to say that all 7 leds are 3mm, and for the moment I'll try 3v red leds...
What's the worst thing that can happen?

Thankyou!
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:00   #10
Tealc
Multimodder

Tealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitTealc is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I was able to replace a super bright blue LED front panel indicator with an orange one without any ill effects. From this I assumed, as there was no in line resistor, that the HDD LED power is current limited somehow, otherwise it would have lasted but seconds before blowing.

The only thing you'd lose is a few LEDs if there's too much current going through them. No big loss. If you want to make absolutely sure measure the voltage being supplied to the respective LEDs and the current flowing and work out if you need an additional series resistor.

LEDs are current devices and must always be current controlled, otherwise they'll go pop. The voltage rating is an indicator of the amount of voltage needed to get them to light up.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 02:07   #11
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra6 View Post
First of all thanks to everybody, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still some confusion about the LED to use... ^^'
I have to say that all 7 leds are 3mm, and for the moment I'll try 3v red leds...
What's the worst thing that can happen?

Thankyou!
Did you check the voltage they are being fed from the PCB?

For the record though, you can leds that feed off of 24v, let alone 12v, though most smaller ones like you'll need do require ~3v or there abouts. Check though, you don't want to blow anythign important up...

View Mode