bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 11th Nov 2012, 23:25   #1
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Steam Saves via Dropbox or similar?

Hi guys,

Just had a brain wave and need you guys to vet the idea:

Dropbox can act as a drive on your harddrive when it's actually on the cloud. Can you set your steam save files to be located there so you can play on another PC? Maybe, have it so that the local file on the 2 pc's are auto-copied and auto retrieved whenever they are changed?

What's your thoughts?
Old 11th Nov 2012, 23:45   #2
lancer778544
isnt really an ultramodder...

lancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought Steam Cloud enabled games took care of all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In September 2008, Valve added support for Steam Cloud, a service that can automatically store game saves and related custom files on Valve's servers; users can then access this data from any other machine running the Steam client.
AMD FX-8320 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | 2x 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified SLI | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX860i | CM Storm Trooper | Enermax Dreambass Sound Card
lancer778544 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2012, 23:47   #3
Bogomip
... Yo Momma

Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bogomip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Doesn't steam save games over cloud anyway?!

Even if not you would need a pretty massive dropbox to do it as afaik there is no method of separating gamefiles and save games from their respective directories. You would almost certainly need to pay for it.
Bogomip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 00:04   #4
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogomip View Post
Doesn't steam save games over cloud anyway?!

Even if not you would need a pretty massive dropbox to do it as afaik there is no method of separating gamefiles and save games from their respective directories. You would almost certainly need to pay for it.
How big are save files? I don't think all games have steam save files. Xcom for example has different save files for me different pcs
Old 12th Nov 2012, 09:01   #5
Salty Wagyu
moo

Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Salty Wagyu - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
\Steam\userdata is where most of the saves are stored. Your method can be achieved by using a NTFS symlink to a dropbox folder, but rather than fiddle with that I have a task scheduler job which copies my userdata folder to a backup location daily.

I don't trust the Steam cloud much, they lose stuff sometimes >.<
Old 12th Nov 2012, 09:16   #6
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
The number of times steam cloud says it can't save stuff etc means I wouldn't trust it if I wanted my saves in multiple places.
Dropbox seems like a good idea
Old 12th Nov 2012, 09:43   #7
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
The number of times steam cloud says it can't save stuff etc means I wouldn't trust it if I wanted my saves in multiple places.
Dropbox seems like a good idea
Could use Google Drive?

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 10:00   #8
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Could use Google Drive?
Yeah that would work, it doesn't bother me since I only have the one pc.
Steam cloud annoys me since it asks me what to do when it fails to update the cloud when playing something like tf2, where I think it is meant to be able to store configs etc, which could be useful.
If I wanted to start backing stuff like that up, would you recommend drive over dropbox?
Old 12th Nov 2012, 10:08   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
dropbox are for noobs.

use SVN, and commit the saves you are happy to the server. you can also branch your gameplay by creating SVN branches. before you go into a memorable mission, you tag that save point. also setup Trac to manage your gameplay progress, and perhaps even delegate tasks to your little brother.
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:06   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Steam cloud keeps all your saves ive used my account on 2 pcs and transfered the saves no problem at all.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 12:23   #11
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
dropbox are for noobs.

use SVN, and commit the saves you are happy to the server. you can also branch your gameplay by creating SVN branches. before you go into a memorable mission, you tag that save point. also setup Trac to manage your gameplay progress, and perhaps even delegate tasks to your little brother.
^^^ +rep. that is immense. extreme overkill, but immense all the same
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 14:27   #12
adzc1987
Supermodder

adzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I noticed in Civ 5 the steam cloud option, its a little annoying tbh having to pick to save there everytime.

Mind you i dont really have a use for cloud savegames.

Drop me a PM if you buy an account and I can share the reward with you

Arma3 - VOLCBAT - Realism without the bollocks!
adzc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:57   #13
sotu1
Ex-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Steam cloud keeps all your saves ive used my account on 2 pcs and transfered the saves no problem at all.
:/ unless I'm missing something my Xcom saves don't cross PCs.
Old 12th Nov 2012, 21:00   #14
ThirtyQuidKid
Supermodder

ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ThirtyQuidKid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Use simlinks to cloud save or look up gamestow or game save manager
ThirtyQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 10:06   #15
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I've done it with this Link Shell Extension.

Works perfectly. Install link shell extension and dropbox client. Move the folder with your saves to your drop box folder then right click and hold on the moved folder and drag back to the original location. you'll have a new option in your context menu which will be "drop as". Select drop as and choose junction. This will create a ntfs junction the same way steam mover does.

I'm using this for steam and origin games and so far it's been great.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 12:25   #16
sotu1
Ex-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_chegg View Post
I've done it with this Link Shell Extension.

Works perfectly. Install link shell extension and dropbox client. Move the folder with your saves to your drop box folder then right click and hold on the moved folder and drag back to the original location. you'll have a new option in your context menu which will be "drop as". Select drop as and choose junction. This will create a ntfs junction the same way steam mover does.

I'm using this for steam and origin games and so far it's been great.
Sounds good! So does this auto update the save files on both PC's o do you have to manually update it?
Old 13th Nov 2012, 13:48   #17
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You'd do that in the dropbox client. I created a folder on dropbox called Game Saves. I then set the dropbox client to sync that folder. I'm only using this on one PC at the moment so you'd have to configure the client on both PC's to do this.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 14:32   #18
hughwi
Ultramodder

hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
dropbox are for noobs.

nice, what happens if you dont have a little brother?
Old 13th Nov 2012, 23:49   #19
sotu1
Ex-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughwi View Post
nice, what happens if you dont have a little brother?
+1. I LOL'd
Old 15th Nov 2012, 14:58   #20
adzc1987
Supermodder

adzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
:/ unless I'm missing something my Xcom saves don't cross PCs.
I think it depends on the game if it syncs, im certain none of my valve games (portal, HL2 etc etc) goto the cloud.

Drop me a PM if you buy an account and I can share the reward with you

Arma3 - VOLCBAT - Realism without the bollocks!
adzc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote