bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:24   #1
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

Tigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run Crysis
Parents computer has died

Hi guys, I wonder if you might know what my problem is, my parents computer has died on them.
It's a Dell XPS420 running Vista Home Premium. It loads through boot up normally and as it starts windows and gets to the welcome/login screen then the top two inches of screen goes black and it freezes up.

Anyone have any idea what that is?

If its basically busted, would it be possible for me to recover their photos and such off the hard drive? I could plug it into my computer but would the separate OSs clash?
MY FIRST BUILD Case:Corsair Carbide 400R | MoBo:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | CPU:Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.23v | Cooler:Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 | RAM:8GB (2x4GB) LP Corsair Vengeance Blue | GPU:Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1.2GB | PSU:600W Corsair Gaming Series | Monitor:Dell U2412M
Tigernos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:27   #2
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You should be able to connect the HDD to another rig and get access to the photos etc

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:34   #3
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Most likely a software error if it's getting that far. I'd recover the files you need by plugging the hdd into another computer and try windows repair
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:41   #4
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

Tigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run Crysis
Sad thing is my parents are paying a monthly cover with PC world. They sent it off to have the files recovered because all their photos are on there from years and years ago. They sent it back after having it for about 9 days and said "We didn't do anything with it as the amount of data was too large to fit on a disc, you need to provide an external HDD or USB drives" my dads response of course was "So in the week you have had it none of you thought to ring me and tell me that? Or ask me if I would mind paying and you provided it? Idiots"

I lolled
MY FIRST BUILD Case:Corsair Carbide 400R | MoBo:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | CPU:Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.23v | Cooler:Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 | RAM:8GB (2x4GB) LP Corsair Vengeance Blue | GPU:Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1.2GB | PSU:600W Corsair Gaming Series | Monitor:Dell U2412M
Old 12th Nov 2012, 17:54   #5
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stickeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh, now that is a good one!
9 days though! I'd have thought they'd copy it somewhere internally....fix the machine and then copy it back...
Old 12th Nov 2012, 18:22   #6
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Does it boot into safe mode? Or, if you're getting the boot menu appear (I'd presume so with the failed boots) try the 'last known good configuration'.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 00:46   #7
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Put the drive into your PC, boot into your OS, get the files off, done
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 20:44   #8
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If the computer itself is at fault and the HDD is not on the way out then slap it in an external HDD enclosure and voila! Instant access to your parents files, just link it up to another computer via USB or esata. Alternatively link it internally to another computer and rip off all the files then slap it back in the PC for the retailer to repair, replace or refund!
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2012, 18:49   #9
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I actually got it to start up in it's last known successful configuration or whatever. I did in five minutes what PC World couldn't in nine days and I'm no computer savvy tech person.

So far so good seems to be working as normal and I can't see any loss of information or such. All the files my parents wanted including the booking details of their week in Vegas this weekend are safe haha
Old 14th Nov 2012, 19:27   #10
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
I sincerely hope they've stopped paying for 'cover' with PC World- extended warrenties & breakdown cover are nothing but a money making scam, especially when talking about places like that ( Curries, Dixons, Comet etc ); The Sale of Goods act will cover most issues for a couple of years, if not 5-6 years with certain goods.
Old 14th Nov 2012, 20:41   #11
Stickeh
Help me , Help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigernos View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I actually got it to start up in it's last known successful configuration or whatever. I did in five minutes what PC World couldn't in nine days and I'm no computer savvy tech person.

So far so good seems to be working as normal and I can't see any loss of information or such. All the files my parents wanted including the booking details of their week in Vegas this weekend are safe haha
Get them to back up their data now its working, get that external hard drive and have them back it up daily /weekly / monthly whatever. Data isn't safe unless it's in more than 2 or more physical locations.

Just goes to prove how useless PC World are...
Old 15th Nov 2012, 22:45   #12
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.
Off topic but.

I bought a Laptop from Curries paid for the cover.

Due to my own stupidity I got a virus, I formatted the HDD installed windows from partition it then completely died.

Install partition was screwed as no boot.ini.

I took it to then Tech Guys who told me to call a number and have it sent off. All it needed was a software fix or replacement HDD.

I thought screw that. Cancelled my cover in front of the guy who was unwilling to help me.

Went to a computer fair. Paid £40 and replaced the HDD myself.

I formatted the old drive and have been using as external storage for years now.

Tech Guys are a joke tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
At least you'll have moisturised gums!
MrDomRocks is offline   Reply With Quote