bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 13th Dec 2011, 17:56   #61
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel-R1 View Post
...away as much as possible.

I've noticed that your 12v CPU power lead runs around the board to its socket. Pick yourself up an extension, trim it to size and sleeve it and run it behind the motherboard tray to get another cable out of sight and show off that lovely hardware more.

You could ...
Thanks for the comments Sentinel, I had planned on creating a new cable for the 12v CPU but I think the extension cable will be the better idea for now. Custom cables cant wait until my next build

As for the hunk of cable madness at the right side of the board I have a plan to hide this with a nice piece of frosted acrylic ... but SSSsssHH! don't tell anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Looks good!

I have a small suggestion/question: the tube between the RAM cooler and the CPU cooler seems very long. Wouldn't it be possible to just connect those 2 with a very short piece of tubing, say 3-4 centimeters, if you turned the fittings towards each other?
Hi Nutman, tell me about it! I have cut about 40 cm of tubing down to size to fit into this connection in a nice short piece but all of them resulted in unproductive kinks! I did have two straight fittings in originally but the kink was the problem there aswell ... fittings connection maybe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinb View Post
In order to do that I think the fitting would need to be changed to a 90 degree fitting but I think it would give a much cleaner work. Although great job on your first mod ....
kelvinb welcome to the log and thanks for taking the time to comment and a nice one at the same time which isn't bad at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Are you planning on a window?
I'm planning two windows .. on one panel.
One to open the 5.1/4 bay area which will hopefully be covered by a piece of frosted or backlit acrylic, and a second window in the usual place so I can look at the hardware. Also planning to light up the blocks with some leds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigs_rex View Post
haha ur a heat shrink measuring genius!! very good little idea
looks good colors are spot on!, very busy in there tho, brading is always fun first time around
genius well who am I to argue
I love the way you say 'very busy' when what you wanted to say was 'TIDY UP IN THERE MAN!!'

thank you to everyone for looking, the journey is far from over but the this is running now which had slowed me down tremendously

Last edited by RedManc; 13th Dec 2011 at 18:17.
RedManc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2011, 17:40   #62
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Let there be Light!!

Picked up a couple of premade 3mm Leds today, as well as a little something for a new year mod .. sssh secret!

When I got home I realised I should have bought another 5mm LED for the pump top and I fancy a G1/4 Lighting module for the reservoirs.

Oh and for some reason I cannot 'Go Advanced' in my original post in order to change the date. If a mod happens to stumble across my log can you just take the date out
Old 17th Dec 2011, 22:29   #63
Normano64
Minimodder

Normano64 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManc View Post
Let there be Light!!

Picked up a couple of premade 3mm Leds today, as well as a little something for a new year mod .. sssh secret!

When I got home I realised I should have bought another 5mm LED for the pump top and I fancy a G1/4 Lighting module for the reservoirs.

Oh and for some reason I cannot 'Go Advanced' in my original post in order to change the date. If a mod happens to stumble across my log can you just take the date out
Nice shots you have there! Look likes the LEDs dosen't light up much but they light up enough to not make it to lit imo.
Normano64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2011, 13:58   #64
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is that amount of light what's actually being seen, or is the camera doing "tricks"?

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2011, 16:23   #65
RedManc
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normano64 View Post
Nice shots you have there! Look likes the LEDs dosen't light up much but they light up enough to not make it to lit imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Is that amount of light what's actually being seen, or is the camera doing "tricks"?

Thanks for the comments guys, the LED's don't produce a massive amount of light but it is a little more light than the pictures show ... I was playing tricks with the camera, the camera wasn't doing it by itself this time led cables are now sleeved and installed.
Naturally no photos, there is enought good looking sleeving out there
Old 8th Mar 2012, 19:52   #66
RedManc
Supermodder

why did I start cutting on the good side .... yes the dremel jumped .... yes there are big scratches .... no its not the end of the world,
we mod on!

Old 8th Mar 2012, 21:13   #67
Pranja
Crazy Wolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice mod.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2012, 18:49   #68
RedManc
Supermodder

I've painted the edges which were cut the other day, no acrylic yet but I have a 6ft by 3ft sheet at work which I plan to steal a bit of . . .
Old 11th Mar 2012, 21:28   #69
Nutman

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Looks kickin'.
Did you mount the EK RAM block in the "wrong" direction on purpose, or didn't you notice?
It's mirrored....

Old 12th Mar 2012, 20:39   #70
RedManc
Supermodder

I did notice, the second I screwed the last stop fitting into the res and then cried a little

Its wont be like that forever, im waiting for an influx of money from the lottery *crosses fingers* and i'll be buying the block which has been made for 4 RAM modules.

Also picked up a cheap inmatation of the Tape of the Gods today to mount the window pane.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 20:50   #71
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking really clean and tidy. Red and black always works and never gets old.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2012, 20:02   #72
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedManc View Post
I did notice, the second I screwed the last stop fitting into the res and then cried a little

Its wont be like that forever, im waiting for an influx of money from the lottery *crosses fingers* and i'll be buying the block which has been made for 4 RAM modules.

Also picked up a cheap inmatation of the Tape of the Gods today to mount the window pane.
hmmm... tape of the gods? *curious* :P

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2012, 21:38   #73
Nutman

It's a 3M product, I believe. Watch Bill Owen's "Mod Men" episodes on Youtube (or find them on mnpctech.com) and watch how he uses that tape for mounting an entire setup (monitor, desktop, mouse, keyboard, EVERYTHING) to a window - AND it stays there for the duration of all the shows. Pretty impressive stuff.

Old 14th Mar 2012, 23:15   #74
RedManc
Supermodder

Yeah check out MNPCTECH for the tape of the gods, I've bought the cheap version and as I say in my job, Buy Cheap Buy Twice, mine will not do jalf the job required of it.

Anyway on a more annoying point, I was measuring the perspex and then my brain shouted at me, I have cut the window 5mm from the back for the case to give a direct view of the motherboard when at 90deg to the side of the case. This means that when the perspex is installed I will not be able to remove the Door, but more important I will not be able to put the side panel back onto the computer.

So Side panel locking modifications are now required to close the case.

The lessons we learn!
Old 14th Nov 2012, 12:58   #75
RedManc
Supermodder

Think i'll call this build to a close its been up an running with a few hitches for almost a year now.

I have recently rebuilt the rig though, the eagle eyed amoungst you will notice i've changed the EK-Dominator Ram block for the x4 version which is a little smaller and its now facing the way I wanted it so that the EK logos are orinenated the same way.

Ive learnt quite a bit making this machine and ive really enjoyed it!
Time to concentrate on another build!
Old 15th Nov 2012, 19:04   #76
Nutman

Nice! Congrats on finishing it.
True modders' spirits: On to the next project.

Tags
asus maximus iv extreme-z, atcs 840, ek waterblocks, first build, water cooled

View Mode