bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 52 44.44%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 27 23.08%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th Nov 2012, 12:48   #1581
CDomville
^ I am THIS Possum

CDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the DremelCDomville has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yay, loving Windows 8 now, it feels fluid, and the Hybrid Shutdown is awesome, as it means I'm seeing sub 15 second "boots". Nice set of recovery features too, it's the only OS I use on my laptop.

Unfortunately, I'll have to change my setup (hardware wise) on the desktop to make it run as I need. There's not enough space on the drives to get it to do what I want it to do without all sorts of mess arising from the installations, so I'll probably be getting a 3TB HDD.

My desktop (at present) is used for Windows, Linux, Android (ARM and Intel) and Windows Phone development inside a Windows 7 installation, using Oracle's VirtualBox software. The problem arises because Hyper-V is required for the WinPhone 8 simulators (a platform I wish to support and cross-compile with Windows 8), Hyper-V can't run Linux, and Virtualbox can't run because Hyper-V is running, and I end up corrupting the boot sequence of the OS with the borked VM hooks.
Current Machine Specifications: Mobo: GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3 | Processor: Core i5 2500K (soon to be OC'ed, researching atm) | 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz DDR3 | GFX: MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II (also soon to be OC'ed) | Akasa Venom Cooler | Antec 100 case
CDomville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 13:22   #1582
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Another backpedaling from Microsoft...
You confuse me. First you accuse Microsoft of not listening to its customers, and now it does it is "backpedaling". But isn't this what you wanted? So why the criticism?

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 19:41   #1583
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
You confuse me. First you accuse Microsoft of not listening to its customers, and now it does it is "backpedaling". But isn't this what you wanted? So why the criticism?
It was not criticism. Their position on the matter was wrong and they conceded that.

Last edited by impar; 15th Nov 2012 at 19:50.
impar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 20:02   #1584
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Greetings!

It was not criticism. Their position on the matter was wrong and they conceded that.
Then why call it "backpedaling"? That would suggest that it is a negative move, while in fact you think it is a good thing.

Old 15th Nov 2012, 20:29   #1585
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Then why call it "backpedaling"? That would suggest that it is a negative move, while in fact you think it is a good thing.
Oh? The intricacies of a foreign language.
Quote:
To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/backpedaling
Seemed to fit so well.
Old 15th Nov 2012, 20:57   #1586
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
hyper-v on windows 8 can run certain distributions of Linux, the Microsoft representative, had Ubuntu on his win 8 hyper v

just found this on eightforums

Last edited by RichCreedy; 15th Nov 2012 at 21:09.
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 21:42   #1587
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's interesting indeed. It seems hyper-v can do Suse and Red Hat server as well which I didn't realise. I thought it was just for virtualising windows. I wonder if it will expand eventually support desktop distributions by default since its moved down from server to professional. It would be nice to have the same kind of options built in to the O/S as vmware and virtualbox offers.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 22:04   #1588
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
the 3.0 onwards Linux kernel supports linux on HyperV (it's more linux supporting the hyperv virtualisation, not windows supporting linux)
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2012, 22:27   #1589
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Greetings!

Oh? The intricacies of a foreign language.

Seemed to fit so well.
So does reconsideration, redecision, re-evaluation...

Old 15th Nov 2012, 22:34   #1590
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How about changing the thread title to something more appropriate since its no longer in Beta.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 06:50   #1591
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run Crysis
Apparently if you set Windows 7 as default in Win8's dual boot screen and then attempt to boot windows 8 again, everything breaks.

Can't boot into w7 OR w8 now, startup repair does nothing. Sigh.

I was just logging in to make a fresh backup, too

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 10:53   #1592
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
So does reconsideration, redecision, re-evaluation...
"So does"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN View Post
Apparently if you set Windows 7 as default in Win8's dual boot screen and then attempt to boot windows 8 again, everything breaks.
Had something like that happen on one of the previews. Only thing that worked was to reinstall W7.

Sinofsky speaks, denies he tried to take over Windows Phone division at Microsoft
Old 16th Nov 2012, 11:23   #1593
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN View Post

Can't boot into w7 OR w8 now, startup repair does nothing. Sigh.

I was just logging in to make a fresh backup, too
Try going into you motherboard bios and change the boot drive to the drive that has your Windows 7 install. Mine defaults back to another option, something like 'Windows 8 boot', so this could be affecting things as you have now told the system to use the Windows 7 bootloader. This may be wrong, but I've had a couple of issues with Windows 8 not booting and had to change the boot drive in the bios to fix it. Not happened for a while though.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 13:19   #1594
DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run Crysis
Quote:
snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullonien View Post
snip
Apparently my BCD was busted, it prevented any OS from loading drivers and no amount of reinstalling or disconnecting drives was able to fix it. I tried bootrec and I even deleted the little hidden partition. I'm currently in the process of salvaging some files (as my backup is slightly out of date) and starting from scratch.

EDIT: Disregard all that, i just installed windows 8 on a freshly formatted drive with nothing else connected, and it still won't boot. How is that even possible?

EDIT: Windows 7 boots but won't autodetect my resolution, attempting to install a graphics driver prevents it from booting again.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!

Last edited by DragunovHUN; 16th Nov 2012 at 13:59.
Old 16th Nov 2012, 15:15   #1595
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Windows 8 is full GPU rendered, Windows 7 isn't.
So something is wrong with your GPU is what i would conclude. Try a different GPU.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 15:26   #1596
DragunovHUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Windows 8 is full GPU rendered, Windows 7 isn't.
So something is wrong with your GPU is what i would conclude. Try a different GPU.
That was my fear as well until a couple minutes ago, but after about 7 million reinstalls i am now up and running on windows 7 again, playing videogames.

Well that was proper weird.

Old 16th Nov 2012, 16:47   #1597
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

OT: the guy on the left in the second picture of that article: trollface?

Old 18th Nov 2012, 20:51   #1598
impar
2n-1

Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 8 PC sales reportedly 'well below Microsoft's internal projections'
...Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott has now offered just a bit of information on how the Redmond-based company is viewing the OS' first few weeks on market. Citing one of his "most trusted sources at Microsoft," Thurrott reports that sales of Windows 8 PC's are disappointing and "well below Microsoft’s internal projections." The source says that, internally, the blame is being placed on manufacturers' "inability to deliver."
Quote:
Windows 8 Is Too Complicated For You to Figure Out
Okay Joe User, you just may have been insulted by Staples as being too stupid to use Microsoft’s new Windows 8 operating system. This commercial will probably be a big hit with the guys over at Redmond since Staples contends the Microsoft guys have made an OS too difficult for the everyday user without proper training.
Quote:
Old malware on Google Docs updated to mess with Windows 8
Malware on Google Docs is unusual, but a variant has been found that considers whether a user is running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 on his or her machine.
Old 18th Nov 2012, 20:53   #1599
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Greetings!
@Staples ad: you do realize that ad was uploaded on October 26, in other words at launch date. If Windows 7 would have been released now, you would have exactly the same ad.
Old 18th Nov 2012, 20:55   #1600
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Today, I've been mostly rocking my Windows 8 machine.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview