bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:03   #1
Darkwisdom
Mods Everything In Sight

Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.
win 7 or 8?

Im getting new parts for xmas including a samsung 830 and a copy of my os of choice but i havent a clue whether to get windows 7 or 8. I have always used xp and I only game. No huge multi threaded tasks here. Skyrim, dark souls and sims 3 for the mrs. Is there any difference in performance? If not then ill get windows 8.

Retro Stuff:USB modded N64, NES, Gamecube, Mega Drive and Dreamcast controllers for Emulation ~ Homemade Arcade Stick ~
Darkwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:05   #2
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
I have both, Tbh I would go for win7 for compatibility with games

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI,4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:07   #3
Darkwisdom
Mods Everything In Sight

Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.Darkwisdom is definitely a rep cheat.
I dont think theres any issues with games i play.

Retro Stuff:USB modded N64, NES, Gamecube, Mega Drive and Dreamcast controllers for Emulation ~ Homemade Arcade Stick ~
Darkwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:10   #4
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows 8 is leaner, faster and (at the moment) considerably cheaper, and if you don't like the Start Screen you can retrofit it with a good ol' fashioned Start Menu using one of several neat plug-ins available.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:11   #5
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok get 8 then it's cheaper than 7 win8 has got a few annoying quirks but it's ok certainly nothing to write home about.

I know people say it boots faster but I've not found that myself on one of my win7 rigs boots from cold to google in 22seconds my win 8 doesn't.

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI,4 bags of weed

Last edited by Teelzebub; 5th Nov 2012 at 13:20.
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:11   #6
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Windows 8 won't have trouble with games compatibility compared to Windows 7. Personally, I've been using Windows 8 since Saturday and I can't fault it. Even the new interface, whilst it took some time to get used to it (best way I found it to figure that it replaces the Start Menu, and my brain instantly got it!), is actually pretty handy and I find myself using it more and more as I find apps that I like and install them and configure the look.

Personally, I'm sticking with Windows 8. It even loads faster from cold boots and restarts, and I like the added function of the PC synching to the cloud with your settings (effectively, you could log in on any person's Win8 machine and it would download your settings and customisations to the machine. Nice touch!).

I find Win8 to be faster, leaner, and generally better to use, once you get your head around the new UI (but that's the same for any new OS, I find). I think people just like to bitch and moan about progress, personally. Despite what people say, the OS isn't just for tablets. It does work well with mouse and keyboard setups.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:22   #7
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
I own both and id still choose 7 over 8 for simple compatibility with older applications you say your comming from xp would indicate you may have older titles that you play.

Virtually every old game that works in xp will require some sort of patch for windows 7 or 8. Homeworld series for example.

As for the UI to each there own download Start1.01 if you dont want the UI it disables it.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:31   #8
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If I had XP programs still to use, I would just virtualise XP and keep that with the licence there, gaining the benefit of a modern OS but keeping the ability to use older programs without the need to dual-boot.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:34   #9
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
If you're starting from scratch I'd probably say W8, not only because it's cheaper, but since you'll be using a new OS anyways, the change in style etc won't be much worse going to W8 than W7.

I haven't made the switch yet since I see no reason to, but I may on my next reinstall.
Old 5th Nov 2012, 13:39   #10
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ive had absolutely no compatibility issues on win 8 with any of my games, as its basically the same as win7 in desktop mode anyway, and XP programs can be run in compatibilty mode which sometimes works.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 14:22   #11
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You are coming from XP. Please note that the learning curve to Windows 8 will be HUGE. Like no joke. It will be HUGE. Vista had a small one, Windows 7 had a bigger one over Win7, and WIn8 has a large cliff over Win7. So from XP to Win8. Ouch!

I would strongly recommend to start reading Windows 8 help documentation carefully as you get started.

Everywhere from what I can see, is that everyone that actually USED Win8 as their main OS, likes it.
Those who just look at pictures, like most reviewer as its a race to release their review the fastest as possible, did not.

If you are used to XP "new" Start Menu, than what I suggest is to change the layout of the start screen. This is mine on my laptop (so games are put aside)

Notice how I pin my most used folders/programs at the right bottom side. As this is where you show the start screen, so I can access them quickly. Also remember that you can pin programs on your task bar as well for fast access.

Also, if you ever need anything, you can always search instantly on the start screen for settings, files, or app that you have installed. Simply type what you want in the start screen, just like that.. out of the bloom, and it will start searching.

Also start learning keyboard shortcuts. you have the ones form Vista, Win7 and new ones from Win8 to learn.

I expect that you'll need 4-5 months to get used to it. If you don't like fast change. I would strongly suggest to try and find Windows Vista, use that for a year or two, then switch to Win7, and use that for a year or two, then Win8 and use that for a year, then Win9 (as it will be already out, and Win10 would be near completion), and so on, until you slowly catch up.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 14:28   #12
Shirty
Alan Fistington

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows 1.0 cheesecake:

Funny how things come around isn't it?
Shirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 13:20   #13
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
If I had XP programs still to use, I would just virtualise XP and keep that with the licence there, gaining the benefit of a modern OS but keeping the ability to use older programs without the need to dual-boot.
Note: Would only work for programs that don't need directX
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2012, 13:34   #14
Phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
Note: Would only work for programs that don't need directX
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

DirectX Problem solved.
Old 16th Nov 2012, 11:52   #15
ggicollegeindia
Banned

ggicollegeindia has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Windows 8 have some advanced features which may not adjust with a normal user easily but it is far more better to use insted of its previous version.
ggicollegeindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2012, 12:48   #16
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Windows 1.0 cheesecake:

Funny how things come around isn't it?
Heh, I've been thinking its similar to 3.1 in a lot of ways. Same idea basically.

I just bought a copy of 7 for my new HTPC anyways. Nothing about 8 attracts me in the slightest.
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 11:41   #17
m3rk
Minimodder

m3rk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'm currently still using Windows 7 Ultimate - I will be buying Windows 8 though (rude not to for £24.99 on there website)...Not aure i am going to like the main screen interface but have heard you can change this to look like a classic menu via a plugin
m3rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 15:46   #18
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rk View Post
i'm currently still using Windows 7 Ultimate - I will be buying Windows 8 though (rude not to for £24.99 on there website)...Not aure i am going to like the main screen interface but have heard you can change this to look like a classic menu via a plugin
If you use it seriously, and of course organize and pin what you need, like so (this is on my laptop, so no games at the moment of taking the picture):

Than you'll see it's will be enjoyable to use.

Give it a month, and you'll see. Also have a look at the new keyboard short cuts of Windows 8.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ortcuts#1TC=t1

Also remember that like before, you can type anywhere on the start screen and it search through your apps.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 15:51   #19
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Just remember: every time you boot up Windows 8, somewhere in the world a kitten dies. Apparently.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2012, 16:44   #20
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Just remember: every time you boot up Windows 8, somewhere in the world a kitten dies. Apparently.
it happens at my house
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote