bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 19th Nov 2012, 17:20   #121
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Let's consider a scenario with an IBM, a Dell and a HP server. If they all used the same CPU, would a Windows guest see different hardware when moved between hosts? The storage and network adapters are all virtualized, and if there's no pass-through of host devices involved, what would actually be different for a guest?

I bet Linux will run on any host without a hiccup (provided everything that's needed is compiled into the kernel)
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2012, 18:13   #122
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that it should be that simple, but its just not. You can relatively smoothly - possibly even seemlessly - live migrate between two Intel servers which have same-generation CPUs i.e. Core2 duo E6600 to E8400 and the same network card models but don't expect to go from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad or a Xeon E5500 to an E2-1275 or something.

Equally don't expect to be able to go from an Intel network card in your host to a Broadcom.

Both Windows and Linux can relatively easily tolerate a cold-migration using VMware Converter through the above, but Live Migration - as far as I know - won't even let you set up a HA cluster between disparate environments because of the issues.
Old 19th Nov 2012, 18:20   #123
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Zoon, vmware converter ? He is taking a vmx+associated files from one ESXi 5.0 host to another ESXi 5.0 host. Where is the need to convert ?

Edit: Ok, i read that that is the tool to use if he has no vMotion... Still, i don't understand what issues can he ran into if he takes a offline VM from one host and puts it in different.
Old 19th Nov 2012, 19:31   #124
Zoon

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I can only tell you what I've experienced using both scalable HA datacentres on identical hardware and small single-host labs. YMMV.
Old 19th Nov 2012, 21:11   #125
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Going to give this ESXi a go. Moving my boxes from Various server onto one host box.

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2012, 22:41   #126
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Zoon, I understand that moving a running VM between hosts is very tricky and the hardware has to be as close to identical as possible, but that's just not my concern. I'm only talking about what you called "cold migration". In this scenario, if the differences between hosts are not that big, is the use of VMware Converter still necessary? Can one just stop a VM and then import and start it on a different host without major redetection in Windows? (I'm not worried about Linux)
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2012, 11:50   #127
Zoon

I've only ever used VMware Converter to do that so I can't really comment I'm afraid. There's a difference between 'not recommended' and 'won't work' - so just ensure you have backups if you try it??