bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 7th Nov 2012, 02:59   #41
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
He got the whole setup for free. Give him a break. If you want to gripe at someone, I paid (a lot) for my case and electronics, and they're Alienware too. PC internals might not be, but I have a full ESA setup in mine from the Area51 it used to be. But if you want a challenge, getting that to play with non Dell components and expanding its capabilities is enough of one that you ought to be busy for a little while.

Kier is one of the best of the best, and Dell recognized it by giving him this setup. Why not put your bias aside, give the case itself another look (who else has motorized venting that's controlled by software?) and let the man work? Modding is doing with whatever you're given sometimes. By that definition, this is definitely modding.

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 05:55   #42
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
(who else has motorized venting that's controlled by software?)
I first saw it on Fangame's project Fury last year
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...+vents&page=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9oBDD1wpR4

But I agree, I haven't seen any other manufactured PCs with it. I agree, though, let the man get on with it.
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 06:25   #43
kier
-----------------

kier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owndapwn View Post
Horrible price to performance, a record of parts failing, a very significant overheating rate, a rather poor case internally, the stigma associated with owning an Alienware, and the part where it's a $600 dell with LED's, a $40 presealed watercooler prone to pump failures and leaks, and an outdated $200 graphics card that they charge upwards of $1100 for.
Ahh...ok, that's your opinion and I respect that. But what has this to do with me modding one?

kier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 06:33   #44
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
This forum seems to love horribly unbalanced builds so much,
That's what we do here. We build ridiculous mods for fun, because we can. If you don't like what's going on here then stop punishing yourself. Find something else more to your taste. There are lots of interesting things happening here and you can just ignore the ones you don't like. I do it all the time.

Quote:
they're willing to insult their betters over something that can't be debated.
OK, well, that statement is just sad.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 12:38   #45
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
This forum seems to love horribly unbalanced builds so much, they're willing to insult their betters over something that can't be debated.
By all means, don't let us hold back your arogance. Come one! Come all! Massive ego on display!

You have to relax man, if your a well respected member on other forums then I'm surprised you would have that kind of attitude on this one. And with that I'm all done hijacking Kier's thread.

Kier... my apologies
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 13:23   #46
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thats really impressive. I like the way that you've changed the lower side pannels rather than reuse the old one.

I've always liked the Alienware design, I saw one at the I-series a few years ago, and I am very interested in whats going into it next.

PS NOTE:

Could a mod not just delete the argument above? It doesn't add much to the topic, or could just be moved to the rant section?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 13:59   #47
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Or just ban the user for being a stinking troll?

Looking forward to the mod by the way kier, and that's something because I don't often venture into this section (I get too jealous )
Old 7th Nov 2012, 17:47   #48
kier
-----------------

kier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for president
Thanks you guys but please relax
Owndapwn is free to give his opinion, I don't mind.

This forum, his community and there builds are great, no matter what some individuals say.

Old 7th Nov 2012, 18:04   #49
xxxsonic1971
W.O.T xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks fantastic, great job!!
xxxsonic1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 20:05   #50
Owndapwn
Modder

Owndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run Crysis
Sorry guys. I was just having a bad day yesterday. Just the straw that broke the camel's back, but that's still no excuse to take it out on you blokes.
I have nothing against the OP, his modding skills, or case modding.
Just Alienware, as they, iBUYPOWER and CyberPowerPC manage to simultaneously cut myself and other small-time IT's out of a sale and rip off the customer.
If no other computer brands existed, and custom building was illegal, I'd breadboard myself a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kier View Post
Ahh...ok, that's your opinion and I respect that. But what has this to do with me modding one?
Nothing.
They make decent desk ornaments (Albeit large).
But as a computer, they're good. As a gaming computer (As they advertise it), they're well below sub-par. An Alienware would make a better video / 3D modeling computer than gaming.
For gaming, an i7 is useless (Most games only use one or two cores. Quad-cores are only recommended for gaming builds so you can run a recording program, Teamspeak, music, etc in the background).
Then they put a GTX 555 (OEM 550ti) in a ~$1500 gaming PC. The 550ti is a ~$130 GPU, and the 6850 is a better ~$130 GPU. (Source)
Unless you have triple or quad GPU's, LGA 2011/LGA 1366 quad cores just raise mobo prices.
If they didn't throw out "extreme gaming" so many times and they lowered the price ~30%, they'd be great prebuilts.

Also, can that first 680 even breathe? ._.
I thought my board had a tight fit for Crossfire, with it's one PCI gap...
Owndapwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 20:47   #51
kier
-----------------

Quote:
Sorry guys. I was just having a bad day yesterday. Just the straw that broke the camel's back, but that's still no excuse to take it out on you blokes.
I have nothing against the OP, his modding skills, or case modding.
Just Alienware, as they, iBUYPOWER and CyberPowerPC manage to simultaneously cut myself and other small-time IT's out of a sale and rip off the customer.
If no other computer brands existed, and custom building was illegal, I'd breadboard myself a PC.
No problem

Quote:
Nothing.
They make decent desk ornaments (Albeit large).
But as a computer, they're good. As a gaming computer (As they advertise it), they're well below sub-par. An Alienware would make a better video / 3D modeling computer than gaming.
For gaming, an i7 is useless (Most games only use one or two cores. Quad-cores are only recommended for gaming builds so you can run a recording program, Teamspeak, music, etc in the background).
Then they put a GTX 555 (OEM 550ti) in a ~$1500 gaming PC. The 550ti is a ~$130 GPU, and the 6850 is a better ~$130 GPU. (Source)
Unless you have triple or quad GPU's, LGA 2011/LGA 1366 quad cores just raise mobo prices.
If they didn't throw out "extreme gaming" so many times and they lowered the price ~30%, they'd be great prebuilts.

Also, can that first 680 even breathe? ._.
I thought my board had a tight fit for Crossfire, with it's one PCI gap...
Actually I dont care what kind of hardware they put in. They give me this system to mod with and i am very happy they give me this opportunity.

It is tight yes, but the GPU's will be watercooled

Old 9th Nov 2012, 10:23   #52
Gtek
Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I want to believe..., that you will remove this funny X-files era alien head from the top Nice progress so far, of course
Old 19th Nov 2012, 18:05   #53
kier
-----------------

Update!!!

Hi Y'all,

I had a nice update in mind about the internal and the beautiful water blocks. Unfortunately GLS did it again... destroyed my package and send it back to Slovenie.... Thanks again GLS!

So this time only an update about the internal parts.

First I have some RAM coolers mounted on the Dell RAMs

I also changed the CPU cooler.

Before:

Shorten the tubes, turn the cover, turn the alien and re-route the cable

Internal: First cut and bent a custom cover

What hides the 5.25 bay

Made it black

Placed it

Next cut a piece of green acrylic to the right size with two small pieces for mounting the midplate and side cover

Which will be like this

The midplate. Later on there will be holes in it and a vinyl cover with the brand names which will be illuminated from below

The side cover is also made ​​of aluminum with recess for the power for the side panel

And last... made a cover next to the motherboard tray,which will hide all cables

Next week after the waterblocks are in, the case will go to the coater and turns completely black.

Last edited by kier; 29th Nov 2012 at 20:13.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 02:00   #54
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan

with all the epicness going on around here chuck norris will need a new boot
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2012, 09:02   #55
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks great Kier,hoping that next update will be soon.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2012, 15:45   #56
kier
-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post

with all the epicness going on around here chuck norris will need a new boot
Thank you and thanks Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Looks great Kier,hoping that next update will be soon.
Me too...thanks

Old 26th Nov 2012, 20:16   #57
kier
-----------------

Update!!!

Received a beautiful package today. This time GLS did a good job

Early christmas

EKWB your the best

Unpacking can begin

First some EK-PSC Fitting 10mm - G1/4 Black

No build without EK-PSC Adapter 90 G1/4 Black

And offcourse the EK-PSC Adapter 45 G1/4 Black

Two beautiful EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360)

And for the great Nvidia GTX680 GPUs 2x EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal + Nickel CSQ

Linked with a EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial CSQ

And don't forget the EK-FC680 GTX Backplate - Black CSQ (QClass2)

This time I will use the new EK-BAY DCP 2.2 Combo Reservoir - Acetal

With this the EK-DCP 2.2 (12V DC Pump)

Filled with EK-Ekoolant CLEAR (premix 1000mL)

Thanks Gregor and everyone from EKWB who made ​​this possible.

Don't forget to look at the great new site from EKWB CooledPC and show your system to win great prizes

Last edited by kier; 29th Nov 2012 at 20:15.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 20:57   #58
S1KO85
Minimodder

S1KO85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love that res!

Didn't know they did combo to hold a dcp 2.2... It's one of my all time favourite pumps for a silent build (I have one running at 5v 24/7 on my xb360, you just can't hear it at all!).

Thanks for showing!

S1KO85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2012, 21:42   #59
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hah, I've been waiting on a delivery from GLS for almost a week now. Bloody courier didn't find my house so decided to leave a gun sight in my local pub and claimed that he called me to confirm if that was ok (which he didn't)!

On-topic, looks like were in for some WC cheesecake soon!
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 16:39   #60
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is awesome, though blingy, I love most of the cases Alienware design - this one included!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode