Fredcompany
Sir, your PC just bit me.

Fredcompany has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Been following this for a while, but I might as well sub Good work so far
Fredcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 21:07   #42
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Are you gonna run this off a second dedicated graphics card? Two extra monitors will require that or an AMD eyefinity card. I was thinking about what I'd do if/when I make a cintiq clone, and I'd probably have to swithc my Nvidia 470 for a 6 series Radeon to run my 2 monitors and the tablet monitor. Using mATX, I don't have a second PCI-e slot for a second GPU, unless I upgrade my mobo.

Glad you've got the second monitor sorted. Looking forward to seeing this propperly underway, i.e. things in bits.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 21:22   #43
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
arduinos provides LCD controller shield. I think the small lcd will be driven by the µcontroler

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 21:30   #44
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
the only thing i think the concept is missing is a numpad, unless you can figure out a simple touch screen solution on the 6.2in unit.

Solidworks user since 06 and the space pilot and numpad are essential tools not fancy extras, lol!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 21:34   #45
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I do think it's not too complicated to have a numpad on the touch screen.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 23:35   #46
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
dullonien, these are questions that have been haunting me! I have a few GPU's sitting around (8800GTS, 8800GTX, 9800GTX - none of them stellar but more than good enough for this sort of thing) the big problem with this is that having a second GPU installed lowers the performance of my FX4600, a lot! Having the two cards in dumps SPECviewperf's solidworks testing from 24fps down to under 10fps! This sort of slowdown is unacceptable. Therefore, my usual second monitor (a 15" 4:3 in portrait - which is currently sitting in a draw due to space constraints on my desk) will be replaced with the UXGA, and the 6.2" screen will most likely be run using a USB->VGA converter. I'll probably pick up a second USB->VGA converter for my syncmaster (sentimental old sod I am) once I get everything sorted out and see how it runs... historically it's just been used as a file browser / web browser / toolbox, nothing demanding so it should run ok.

Guile, this is going to be a fully functional (death star!) extra monitor I can think of three or four uses for it and will gladly take in ideas for others; I'm currently thinking RSS / HotKey Map / extents image / print spooler (not that I do so much printing these days) / to-do list that sync's to my phone. And as far as I can tell the LCD boards for the Arduino are simpler creatures...

Number pad was never so essential to me Burnout, first of all learned Autocad (having to hit enter at the end of every damn command!) then had the release of Vectorworks where, yes the number pad played a part, but pretty much the whole keyboard was in use, and now I mostly piddle about with SketchUp where again it's all the keyboard that's in use (well mostly c, a, and r to be honest) with my most used commands mapped to the space pilot.

I can see myself adding a column or two of capacitive switches down the right hand edge as due to the wacom PCB there will be an edge - about an inch roughly won't know for sure till it arrives and I open it up - these will be free keys, hopefully I'll be able to set them up so they can be mapped for different applications at a guess there'll be space for about 15 sensors.

Still not sure if I'll have a mounted trackball or keep it separate...
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 01:29   #47
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
tasty!

Numpad win as i am constantly dimensioning in Solidworks or applying equations to constraints but thats me!
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 15:04   #48
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok, monitor disassembled, the picture bellow (apologies for my bed, it's the second largest area of flat white I have; the other's a bit busy at the moment) shows it in three parts; scrap, back-light, and panel. It's now 2mm thinner, which is nice.

The only problem is that I don't get any response with my little intuows3 through the PCB so I'm going to have to extend the ribbon on the side so that I can fold the PCB up perpendicular with the screen. It's *just* possible that I might be able to squeeze the back-light and the intuos3 PCB in there - in fact it's going to be more an issue of the width of the tablet PCB than the depth... 18 pins in 9mm I'm going to need an exceedingly fine tipped soldering iron... why are things never easy

***Ok, that's a 6" length of ribbon on my farnell list - only another £16 to go before I clear their minimum order ***

***Tablet arrived this morning - it's HUGE! Can't test it / take it apart till Monday but it looks pretty good***

Last edited by asura; 24th Nov 2011 at 10:49.
Old 7th Mar 2012, 00:07   #49
asura
jack of all trades

Very minor update, for the most part to show that I haven't forgotten about this monster I'm creating. I've opened up the A4 intuos and produced a rough SketchUp model for my own use, the edges are unfortunately wide due to the touch strip and hot-keys on either side, I'm having a think about cutting the PCB, but it'd be an expensive experiment for the sake of 25mm in width that I may put a strip of buttons down.

Playing about with the intuos PCB and the stripped display proved that I definitely need to extend the ribbon, the good news being that I'm now well above Farnells minimum order.

Further research has unearthed this little beauty from Atmel which will make the direct replacement of the push buttons in the space pilot much easier - still looking at more complex IC's for the additional capacitive switches, but it's possible that it'll end up being a bank of these outputting to a mini Arduino.
Old 7th Mar 2012, 21:34   #50
Fredcompany
Sir, your PC just bit me.

Fredcompany has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How are you going to make the capacitive switches (or where are you getting them from)?
Fredcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2012, 21:58   #51
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

id forgetten about this little beauty of a project.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 21:07   #52
asura
jack of all trades

Those are the capacitive switches linked above... BAH! Atmel doesn't support hot-linking to it's technical documents, sorry about that... thank god for Farnell! That's them, awesome little single-in single-out IC. I'll also probably use a more complex IC will from Cypress - it'll control the number pad and any sliders I might choose to fit in.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 20:42   #53
asura
jack of all trades

Another quick update; due to the shear number of PCB's I'm trying to cram into this thing, it has developed a tilt - it's mostly the fault of the inverter for the 15" monitor (height) and the mini-screen's display adapter (it's huge!) This has lead me to having something both thicker and thinner than I first hoped/expected it to be, at it's thickest it'll end up being over 20mm, but at it's thinnest it should be around 10mm, which'll be nice.

The number pad will likely run down the right hand edge or across the top of the screen, it'll almost certainly use a Cypress Capsense Express chip, one of these to be precise. That'll be on yet another PCB, but I should have space for it now...

It would all be so much thinner/better/easier if I had the knowledge to produce all the controllers and gubbins from scratch rather than having a load of separate solutions jammed in together.

The capacitive pads themselves will be attached to the underside of the glass in a manor not dissimilar to the process that this guy is going through, either that, or I'll get some thicker (0.25mm) copper/silver/silver-plated-copper and cut and glue the traces by hand. The 7 years of my architecture degree have made me something of an expert with a scalpel.
Old 21st Nov 2012, 18:02   #54
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Any progress? Really want one of these!
Old 24th Nov 2012, 09:25   #55
asura
jack of all trades

None what so ever I'm afraid. At the moment, I'm working seven days a week and studying for a distance learning diploma in the evenings so I barely have time to do anything, but it's not dead. I'm using the tablet on a nearly daily basis and each time I do I think... what if...
Old 7th Sep 2013, 18:57   #56
asura
jack of all trades

What kind of unholy progress is this? This wasn't in the plans!

So yea, I sat down at my bench today (jeweller) and turned a horrible institutional grey Wacom pen, a lovely stylish Lamy pen and a few grams of silver into something I'm actually rather happy with.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work yet. With the PCB inside the shaft it tracks and clicks, but once I screw the head in I get nothing. It's quite likely definite that the silver tip is blocking the signal and I'll have to make a black plastic tip an equally elegant tip out of something else. A nice bit of turned hardwood perhaps, or I could try my hand at lapidary, cut it out of stone?
Old 7th Sep 2013, 20:41   #57
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
PROGRESS! -Maybe backward, but it's still something!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2013, 11:33   #58
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Yay, boredom has bought you back to the project!!
Old 8th Sep 2013, 18:36   #59
asura
jack of all trades

Boredom? You must be kidding me! Today I (in addition to what I should have been doing) cut up the silver tip, creating three wide openings and three slender stems (running top to bottom) in the hopes that this would make it clear enough for the near field reception. No dice, it's definitely going to need a non-metallic tip.
Old 16th Feb 2014, 22:27   #60
ferret141
Ultramodder

ferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyanferret141 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Update......?
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 4.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode