bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 22nd Nov 2012, 14:18   #1
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

Tigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run Crysis
Reccomend me some headphones/headset

As per the title. I'm looking to get a decent set of headphones, sub 100 I'd say as I don't wanna go too crazy, although if I can get mega-awesome over mediocre for an extra few notes then I might be persuaded.

My priorities are sound quality (strange that) having an attached mic isn't a big issue ill just buy a desk mic, other than that I'm easy
MY FIRST BUILD Case:Corsair Carbide 400R | MoBo:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | CPU:Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.23v | Cooler:Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 | RAM:8GB (2x4GB) LP Corsair Vengeance Blue | GPU:Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1.2GB | PSU:600W Corsair Gaming Series | Monitor:Dell U2412M
Tigernos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 14:44   #2
ripmax
Supermodder

ripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysis
Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5/Lindy Premium

http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/revi...-neutral-champ
Incredibly good headphones for around 70

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-20378-.../dp/B0057P09EK

Last edited by ripmax; 22nd Nov 2012 at 17:23.
ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 15:07   #3
hamza_tm
I Mod, Therefore I Own

hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The choices above are great, perhaps not suited to gaming though if that's a focus for you?

I'd say the HD558 if it comes in your budget second hand. Audiophiles tend to baby their stuff a lot so used headphones are a great source of awesomeness.

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (White Filco caps) | Zowie AM | Sennheiser PC360 | Razer Sphex
hamza_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 15:53   #4
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

Tigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run CrysisTigernos can run Crysis
Yeah gaming is a big thing but I watch films and all sorts on my computer so it's a mix really. What's the difference? Will using a "music" oriented set be a bad thing for games or vice versa?
MY FIRST BUILD Case:Corsair Carbide 400R | MoBo:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | CPU:Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.23v | Cooler:Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 | RAM:8GB (2x4GB) LP Corsair Vengeance Blue | GPU:Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1.2GB | PSU:600W Corsair Gaming Series | Monitor:Dell U2412M
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 15:58   #5
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Asus Vulcan headset is best gamer headset if its critical.

If you don't need the mic you can find some nice headsets for your budget with top end sound
Hd500 series is in budget if you go second hand and sounds awesome to boot.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 16:12   #6
Tigernos
Resident Roman Soldier

I see people talking about "get a nice set of sennheisers" all the time. They any good?
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 16:17   #7
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigernos View Post
I see people talking about "get a nice set of sennheisers" all the time. They any good?
Don't go for the 300 range, personally they make my ears throb after 5 minutes of using them (they aren't as flexible as you might think) other than that the sound quality from sennheiser products are immense.
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 16:29   #8
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Get a mic. A desk mic is so crap and cumbersome and many mics are now removable (eg, the ASUS Vulcan)
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 16:43   #9
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Sennheiser HD202
Review here:-
http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-hd-202

Amazing VFM
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 17:05   #10
hamza_tm
I Mod, Therefore I Own

hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Any good headphone will be fine for music and gaming, but you can do so much better than "fine" tbh

Headphones great for music will usually give you a very cinematic gaming experience, but may fall short in key areas. For gaming not just any cans will do, you want those that have a larger soundstage and better sound projection/directional audio. This makes a large difference in FPS games, where you can hear very precisely where the enemy is based on sound alone. Also look out for detail, clarity, perhaps bass based on preference so you can pick out sound cues.

On the other hand headphones that are amazing in games will also be good for music, unless you have very specific and refined music tastes.

Of the Sennheiser models, I am only familiar with the high end ones. I can vouch for the HD555, HD558 and more expensive ones. If you can find them within your budget then go for it. These have quite a wide soundstage and great directional audio, plus are detailed enough. They are open headphones.

Another type of headphone that suits gaming is the bass heavy Beyerdynamic DT770 series. They are closed, isolate sound better, and have better bass than the Sennheisers mentioned. But they don't have the soundstage size as the Sennheisers.

Just a few options

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (White Filco caps) | Zowie AM | Sennheiser PC360 | Razer Sphex
hamza_tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 17:11   #11
icemanTM
Minimodder

icemanTM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOgitech G35 is a great option if ure into surround gaming
icemanTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 17:24   #12
ripmax
Supermodder

ripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysisripmax can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigernos View Post
Yeah gaming is a big thing but I watch films and all sorts on my computer so it's a mix really. What's the difference? Will using a "music" oriented set be a bad thing for games or vice versa?
They aren't bad for gaming in any way, I use them for gaming. People usually categorize headphones as good/bad for a specific task based on if the headphones are open backed or closed backed. Open back headphones having a better soundstage but little to no noise isolation and closed back headphones having good noise isolation but less soundstage.

The headphones I suggested have a very open soundstage for closed back headphones, making them an ideal choice if you need noise isolation without compromising the soundstage.
ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 18:01   #13
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
AKG K-242 HD (76 GBP) : http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k242_hd.htm

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 18:14   #14
legoman
breaker of things

legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Another vote for the AKGs i have those and a clip on mic. i find it better than any combined headset ive used and ive been using plantronics Logitech etc for years
AMD Phenom X6 1605T @ 4.5Ghz |Corsair H80 |Gigbyte970A-UD3 | 2X4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast | ASUS AMD 6950 2GB DirectCU II & Arctic Accelero Hybrid | Corsair HX750 | Liteon Blue Ray Drive | Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb | Crucial M4 SSD 64GB |Crucial M500 120GB| TP-Link 450MPs WiFi adaptor | Coolermaster Storm Trooper | Win 7 Pro 64it | Roccat ARVO | Logitech G500 | Bamboo 1 | Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW
legoman is offline   Reply With Quote