bit-tech.net

Old 23rd Nov 2012, 05:44   #1
Prime
Multimodder

Prime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fungus

I bought two lenses off of the local auction site, a 28mm F3.5 Ais Nikkor and a 135mm F3.5 Ais Nikkor. Unfortunately the seller either didn't notice or neglected to mention that both are infected with fungus

I've been given the option from the seller to return the lenses for a full refund; or I can send them to Sunray (who is the premier camera and lens repair place in Joburg )and see if he can clean them at my own expense. I spoke to him on the phone and Sunray said that they can clean them as best as possible but can't guarantee that the lenses will ever be 100%. He also said he can't do anything if it's got in between glued elements.

The one lens contains 6 elements in 6 groups and the other contains 7 elements in 7 groups - does this mean that none of the lenses are glued together?.
Which interal lenses are coated?

All the fungus is internal. The 28mm is more severe than the 135mm.

So my question is, is it worth it to try fix them or should i cut my losses and return them?
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 07:30   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Personally, I would cut your losses and run.

Even if Sunray manages to get all the fungus out, you'll still have a worry in your mind that it'll come back. There's also a chance that the dismantled lenses won't work quite as perfectly again once they've been repaired.
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 10:08   #3
obaidbd
Supermodder

obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!obaidbd - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
in my opinion best is to get refund, there is no point of spending more money on those lens, also if repairs fail then you will lost both lens and money
obaidbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 18:21   #4
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Refund! There is a chance the fungus has etched itself into the glass!

Lens fungus excretes an acid that can etch the glass of the lens leaving it permanently unusable
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 20:33   #5
TheBlackSwordsMan
Moto: Never Justify A Fake Mustache

TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.
Get refund while you still can. There's no guarantee that the fungus didn't already damaged the lens coating, even a pro won't be able to fix it if it's the case.
Old 25th Nov 2012, 20:24   #6
Prime
Multimodder

Prime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Inclined to agree.

Refund it is.

Thanks

For interest sake, is fungus ever an issue on modern lenses and how does one prevent it?
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Nov 2012, 21:20   #7
TheBlackSwordsMan
Moto: Never Justify A Fake Mustache

TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.
Interesting information here:

''A very unusual problem is caused when lenses are exposed to extreme cold and then brought into a warm building. The moisture inside the cold lens condenses into liquid water or "fog" on cold interior lens surfaces, especially when it is allowed to warm too quickly. The best way to control this is to leave the lens in its closed protective case and allow it warm very slowly after is brought inside from sub-freezing conditions.

Overall, the best way to control moisture is to keep small packets of "Silica Gel" desiccant inside the case with each lens. (Most new lenses come with a Silica Gel packet inside the box. Keep it and use it!)''