bit-tech.net

Old 23rd Nov 2012, 15:29   #1
adzc1987
Supermodder

adzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Scan trying to Scam?

I have used scan a lot in recent years and always been happy.

However, recently i sent off some speakers (Corsair SP2200 32.22+6.44VAT=£38.66) that had originally been ordered 03/12/11. These had a fault (within warranty) and it was agreed i would get replacements.

About 3 weeks later scan realised they no longer stocked the product and offered replacement, these were under-speced and under-priced so i advised they would not be suitable and what can we do now?

I have now had a response from them offering to refund £22.12+VAT (i est 4.24)=£26.36 rather than the actual £38.66 paid.

They state market depreciation due to this.

Personally this feel like outright theft.

I have informed scan this is unacceptable and they should check sale of goods act 1979. I am currently awaiting response.

Depending on how they seek to resolve this issue I will probably never go back.

Drop me a PM if you buy an account and I can share the reward with you

Arma3 - VOLCBAT - Realism without the bollocks!
adzc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 16:55   #2
glendronach
Supermodder

glendronach has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglendronach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's not a scam just a try on.
Scan are not quite the same as the big retailers and do not offer full refunds on non-repairable/replaceable items up to 12 months after purchase. Such refunds include a certain amount of 'good will' on the part of the supplier.

The Sale of Goods Act includes an element of 'betterment' when goods are faulty after purchase. This means any refund would take into account the use you had out of the goods and be adjusted pro rata based on the expected life.
Scan's figure would suggest they don't expect the speakers to last more than 3 years which is in my experience a lot less than any I have owned. Eight to ten years or much longer is quite common.
I would go back to them and request at least an 85% refund.
glendronach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 20:15   #3
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.
6 years under the Sale of Goods Act, so if they were bought on 3rd December 2011 that would give a partial refund in excess of £32.
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 21:31   #4
glendronach
Supermodder

glendronach has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglendronach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Blogins you are confusing the Statute of Limitations with the Sale of Goods.
You have 6 years to make a claim of non compliance with contract which is completely different to the evidential expected life of a product.
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 22:19   #5
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendronach View Post
You have 6 years to make a claim of non compliance with contract which is completely different to the evidential expected life of a product.
I understand the argument but if the goods are covered under the SOGA, so they are not perishable or subject to wear and tear such as headphones as one example. Then it would follow that 6 years is a reasonable time frame for the goods to function. It's common practice to then apply the 6 year period to a partial refund otherwise how else would one quantify how long a product should reasonably function?
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 22:50   #6
sniperdude
Supermodder

sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.
tell scan its not acceptable and ask them to RMA it to corsair their cost.
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 23:42   #7
glendronach
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogins View Post
I understand the argument but if the goods are covered under the SOGA, so they are not perishable or subject to wear and tear such as headphones as one example. Then it would follow that 6 years is a reasonable time frame for the goods to function. It's common practice to then apply the 6 year period to a partial refund otherwise how else would one quantify how long a product should reasonably function?
Sorry, you cannot limit the life expectancy of a product to 6 years.
Expert evidence would be called in a court of law and many products have a life expectancy far exceeding that figure. 6 years is a legal limit (5 years in Scotland) to make a claim in contract law.
Old 24th Nov 2012, 11:56   #8
adzc1987
Supermodder

adzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeladzc1987 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well they were used on xmas day 2011 (xmas pressie for me, the missus bought them) and to be honest i use a headset 75% of the time (plugged straight into MOBO) so they havent even had a full 10 month use.

The speakers still retail from corsair direct at $99.99 which is roughly £63.

Old 25th Nov 2012, 13:42   #9
xxxsonic1971
W.O.T xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.xxxsonic1971 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've always had great service from scan, they are alot cheaper than overclockers too.
xxxsonic1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2012, 13:13   #10
adzc1987
Supermodder

I think we will ask if its possible to RMA with Corsair. Failing that there is a Creative speaker system (cheaper than the one they offer) that seems to be a better choice of replacement. (in terms of reviews)

If they choose to operate this way then i wont be with them again. Deducting around 1/3 of the price for 10month use is unacceptable in my view.

Old 29th Nov 2012, 10:34   #11
adzc1987
Supermodder

Well scan have advised an RMA is not possible with Corsair so i have asked for another set of speakers, however they also advised -

Quote:
"Further to your query, Corsair will not repair the item for us but provide a current market credit"
So if i had took the refund Scan would still be up in profit.....

Never going back to them again.

Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:03   #12
sniperdude
Supermodder

sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.sniperdude is definitely a rep cheat.
this is why I like ebuyers RMA

any time i have RMA'd something with them that they no longer stock they have just given me a full refund no questions
Old 10th Dec 2012, 14:55   #13
adzc1987
Supermodder

Well I got my replacement, the last e-mail we got said they would arrange to get the replacement to me.

First i knew of it being on its way was when it turned up at the door in original box i.e. not a scan box, the actual manufacturers packaging...in the rain (not sure if this is normal for a single product), no word was given to me regarding time of delivery or the fact that it was even on its way.

Tags
refunds, scan