bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 10th Sep 2012, 21:01   #61
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

JitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run Crysis
Update 10/9/12

So this evening I carried on with the cutting of parts, managed to tidy up the side panel some... might possibly need some acrylic polish, but will have to see when I finally take the protective coating off it.

tomorrow I plan to finish cutting the edges and then start to sand the sides down

feel free to subscribe (though I probably should of said that 4 pages ago)

So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy casemod

Last edited by JitsuSparty; 10th Sep 2012 at 22:31. Reason: because I can
JitsuSparty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 20:16   #62
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

JitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run CrysisJitsuSparty can run Crysis
Update 12/9/12

So original idea was to get the case powder coated after I had done all the cutting, I wanted to do this so it would look sleek and be hard wearing. I went to my local powder coating shop, took part of the case - they tested it and said "we can coat that no problem",

I then said "how much would it cost?"

he replied "your looking at £100 if we have the colour in stock otherwise over a grand"

So Plan B

I now plan to paint the case using, wait for it, car paint

First stage is to sand the paint off the case as it is - so I can start from base coating the bare metal for an even finish

I have borrowed a mouse sander from a mate and should be able to get sanding tomorrow

anyway as an update that is all

Thanks for listening :P

Old 12th Sep 2012, 22:52   #63
oliverr97
Multimodder

oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Well i love the bitfenix, so good luck with the project.
Cm Storm Enforcer|Intel i5-2500k|Asus p8p67 pro|8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP Blue1600mhz|EVGA GTX 460 1gb| Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro|Corsair Force 3 60gb SSD|Hitachi 1tb Hard Drive| Windows 7 Professional|
oliverr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2012, 16:28   #64
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Update 15/9/12

Ok so this is a little big update. Firstly thanks to a mate at work I got a workbench now As mentioned before another mate leant me a mouse sander, so I thought I would crack on with the window side of the case.

(BBQ is from last weekend )

The acrylic panel was rough cut, so I put it in the bench and started working on it. I started off trying to sand it by hand with a piece of coarse sandpaper - this gave an uneven and 'scratchy' finish.

So I started 'scrapping' it with a knife blade:

this worked well - and gave a good finish, however I decided I would use the sander to 'polish' the edges. As I used the sander I made sure I wasn't applying pressure downwards so it was just lightly sanding it and not eating away material.

Also you might notice in the picture there is a piece of wood between the jaws and the acrylic - this was to provide a straight edge to scrape/sand against

I'm quite happy with the result:

There's a slight scratch in the window though - don't think you can see it in the picture, but if anyone can give any tips on 'buffing' it out I'm all ears.

Secondly I have to say I have some great mates, remember I started cutting the side panel a few weeks ago? Well the mate I was doing it with said he would finish it off for me - I owe him a few beers. Anyway here's the result:

It's going well so far and I am not going to jinx it by saying how far I want to get this weekend

Old 15th Sep 2012, 16:51   #65
Epiales74
What's a Dremel?

Epiales74 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good so far i have never seen a BSG mod before so im subbed
Epiales74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2012, 00:00   #66
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiales74 View Post
Looking good so far i have never seen a BSG mod before so im subbed
why thank you - its starting to all come together nicely now

Old 17th Sep 2012, 07:58   #67
rchiileea
Multimodder

rchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
keep up the work watching this, fan of small cases
rchiileea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:25   #68
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Update 20/9/12

Sorry all for the lack of progress with this - currently being held up by resource availability (£) and waiting for side panel to come back from laser cutters.

Just in case anyone was thinking this had died - It's alllllliiiveeeeeee

Old 25th Sep 2012, 18:43   #69
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Apologies to anyone reading this - case mod has stalled due to weather, de niro, and slow lazy laser cutter.

so while I am waiting to carry on with stuff here is my wishlist of things to put into it:
  1. Mother board - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mother board - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
  2. i5 3570K (IvyBridge)
  3. 4 Gb Crucial Tracer memory
  4. SSD
  5. Windows 7

Last edited by JitsuSparty; 25th Sep 2012 at 18:43. Reason: I can't spell
Old 29th Sep 2012, 22:35   #70
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Update 29/9/2012

Thought it was about time I did an update (thought Im feeling like you dont love me :P)

I've found I have hit a proverbial brick wall, seems modding isnt all action and plain sailing - am currently getting frustrated with the lack of progress due to several factors:

Firstly I cant move on without getting both side panels back - as this will be the point I can make final measurements and (hopefully) get the case painted.

secondly sh**e weather here - I am modding in my house so my work area is my lounge and garden... I have a load of sanding to do and am finding it easier/cleaner to do it outside.

(updated update) - I have one side panel back - and am working on sanding and filing it to size - I will put up a pic tomorrow I promise

anyway the plan is to put a watercooling loop into this and as such this is my idea for the loop and fans

Old 4th Oct 2012, 18:33   #71
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

UPDATE 4-11-12

At last I have laser cut side panel !!!!!!!

All the guy charged me to do it was some beer - I think he was expecting a bottle and was shocked when I gave him 4 cans of London Pride

Anyway this means I can start moving on with my mod

I started cutting out the piece of acrylic to go in the 'hole'... then found that with the rubber mounting I bought the hole in the middle is too small... so will have to see what I can find that is thinner

anyway - I hope to get a fair bit more done over the weekend Yay !!!

Old 15th Oct 2012, 00:59   #72
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

This ISN'T dead!!!!!!!!!

sorry updates will be slower as I am waiting to get it powdercoated and am in germany this weekend for first holiday of the year

in a vain attempt to get interest going please feel free to comment with ideas on what I could put in it when it is done

Old 27th Nov 2012, 12:17   #73
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Ok - sorry to anyone who thinks this died, basically been off the radar for a while (mainly due to work/£ issues)

this should start moving forward again soon so please get re interested

Old 27th Nov 2012, 14:19   #74
kelvinb
BF3 Username - D0rmarth

kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
dont worry we are still here, im currently doing a BitFenix Survivor mod so im very interested in what you are doing here.

I finding things the same as you waiting for the panel to be done, lack of money this modding life is a hard one !!
Old 27th Nov 2012, 14:20   #75
kelvinb
BF3 Username - D0rmarth

kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!kelvinb - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
P.s with your top rad i would go with a push pull config
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:06   #76
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

thanks, to be honest I nearly wrote this off... but a few mates pushed me on (and theres a £5 bet at stake)

I wont be doing anything for a couple of weeks - but I aim to get the modding of the case done by christmas, powder coating in new year... and then look at putting stuff in it

Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:28   #77
kelvinb
BF3 Username - D0rmarth

There are some great guides on painting I would have a quick search around the forums but im sure another member can point you in the right direction.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 22:03   #78
nagyizom
Supermodder

nagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What the frack is going on?! A new BSG themed case!

Previous mods: |Sandcrawler Mod| |Illuminated Mind| |Graphite5|

Follow me on Facebook
nagyizom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 23:08   #79
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyizom View Post
What the frack is going on?! A new BSG themed case!
hope you like it - I will have it done in the future... might have to watch BSG again though in the mean time

Old 10th Jan 2013, 17:06   #80
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Necro time,

So I have had a few set backs in the past few months - I won't be watercooling the rig now and I am not sure what colour it will end up being powder coated... During Dec had a few issues that meant my funds and will to continue kinda tailed off - Sorry guys.

However, I have started purchasing pieces to go into it to motivate me currently I have:

A silverstone strider fully modular 650W PSU
Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi mobo
i5 3750K ivybridge processor (in the mail)

Basically I am now looking for a cooler, I have been looking at the all in 1 hydro coolers from corsair and want to know if anyone has one and whats it like. Or I am looking for an aircooler - but not sure due to clearances on the mobo - again suggestions appreciated.

Anyway again sorry if it looked like this had died, I am planning on getting it finished by Feb

Tags
bitfenix prodigy, case mod, window

View Mode