bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 59 42.14%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.29%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th Nov 2012, 00:21   #1681
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
as I understand it, OEM machines will still have a certificate of authenticity, but they won't have product keys on them
Yes, the big manufacturer OEM's will have their COA in UEFI.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 00:26   #1682
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Impar is just posting articles faug

I dout he reads them thats for others who care to read.

I find his links useful for info personally but thats just me i guess.

Google in general is getting ultra aggresive on pricing.

nexus 4 phone and nexus 7 / 10 tablets are going to put alot of andriod OEMs out of business wether thats googles aim or not i have no idea.

I know that the likes of HTC cant afford to compete with the nexus products in the phone space. And there is no andriod tablet outside of a nexus to have made any sales.

Even samsung will struggle to match googles pricing for a nexus 4.

nexus 4 has basically same specs as a SG3 but is costing £200 less. How on earth are they making money on it i have no idea and im pretty sure samsung and company are asking similar questions.

If the SG4 comes out at £500 ( not an unreasonable guess last one was pretty close )Whilst the nexus is selling at around £259 give or take. Will any buyer who is not going contract really even consider a SG4 a wise investment. Not sure i could stomach a £241 difference on a phone if i was going andriod.

Even big business who has gone andriod must be wondering about that the next time it comes to upgrade a 1000 phones at £200 ( or whatever they pay in discount ) vs 1000 phones at £400 is alot of extra cash that can be put elsewere.

Google has upped the stakes it will be intresting to see how it pans out in the next year or so. ( i expect one of the big 3 that are struggling to be broke. Nokia HTC RIM.)
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 01:11   #1683
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Impar is just posting articles faug
Sometimes I wonder if I should. Shoot the messenger seems popular here.
Quote:
I dout he reads them thats for others who care to read.
I do. Posted for the awareness and to see if anyone knows if one such device accepts another W8 version, not the one recorded in BIOS.
Quote:
I find his links useful for info personally but thats just me i guess.

Quote:
Google in general is getting ultra aggresive on pricing.
nexus 4 phone and nexus 7 / 10 tablets are going to put alot of andriod OEMs out of business wether thats googles aim or not i have no idea.
Nexus 4 is out of stock everywhere, no?
And the 300-350 listed price only works for the Google store, elsewhere the listed price is at least 50 more.
But yeah, Android prices dont leave much room for WP8/WRT devices to grow. Had already hinted to that somewhere here.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 20:27   #1684
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I should. Shoot the messenger seems popular here.
We'd just like to hear your opinion. We've already got RSS Readers.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 22:28   #1685
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Microsoft reports that they have sold over 40 million licenses of Windows 8.
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/b...nses-sold.aspx

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 22:50   #1686
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
To put it in perspective - Windows 7 numbers :
Quote:
On March 4, 2010, Microsoft announced that it had sold more than 90 million Windows 7 licenses.[78] By April 23, 2010, Windows 7 had sold more than 100 million copies in six months, which made it Microsoft's fastest-selling operating-system.[79][80] As of June 23, 2010, Windows 7 has sold 150 million copies
Old 27th Nov 2012, 23:14   #1687
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
To put it in perspective - Windows 7 numbers :
So?
Windows 7, you had people upgrading from Vista and XP. Plus, any modern computer didn't work properly under XP. So Windows 7 was a must. Plus businesses were buying new PC as their 6 year old systems didn't fit their needs/broke. This time, businesses aren't in, and still migrating to Windows 7. Mid life of Windows 9 you'll see some businesses take the plunge in upgrading their system. Microsoft had everything on their side for Windows 7 to sale like free delicious hot cakes.

Right now, people are happy with Windows 7. Why upgrade? New computers works fine with Windows 7. The only compelling reason is just for something new, some Windows utilities updated, for full UEFI support, and free 30 million song music streaming service (or unlimited download and streaming if you pay the month/year subscription)

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2012, 23:19   #1688
faugusztin

It was meant to give a comparison, a base value how good previous version performed, nothing more. And 40 million in 1st month for W8 versus 90 million in 8 months for W7 looks very, very bad for W7 and very, very good for W8.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 00:27   #1689
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
A bit more elaborate here:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...e-first-month/

Does this number includes WRT?
The reduced upgrade price seem to have worked. But this one is puzzling:
"... 85 percent (of users) launch the desktop on the first day."
Old 28th Nov 2012, 01:06   #1690
faugusztin

Quote:
Does this number includes WRT?
The reduced upgrade price seem to have worked. But this one is puzzling:
Surprising it is not 100%.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 08:38   #1691
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
But this one is puzzling:
OMG, you mean Windows users are actually, like, running Windows programs on Windows? Yeah, puzzling!
Old 28th Nov 2012, 12:26   #1692
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
OMG, you mean Windows users are actually, like, running Windows programs on Windows? Yeah, puzzling!

More like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Surprising it is not 100%.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 13:18   #1693
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

It's a meaningless statistic. Not sure why Reller found the need to mention it, nor why others felt the need to comment on it.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 10:47   #1694
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
It's a meaningless statistic.
Why do you think that?

Microsoft is busy preparing its next-generation Windows client, shortly after shipping Windows 8 in October. The Verge has learned from several sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans that the company is planning to standardize on an approach, codenamed Blue, across Windows and Windows Phone in an effort to provide more regular updates to consumers.

Originally unveiled by ZDNet, the update on the Windows side, due in mid-2013, will include UI changes and alterations to the entire platform and pricing. We’re told that Microsoft is aiming to make Windows Blue the next OS that everyone installs.

The approach is simple, Microsoft will price its next Windows release at a low cost or even free to ensure users upgrade. Once Windows Blue is released, the Windows SDK will be updated to support the new release and Microsoft will stop accepting apps that are built specifically for Windows 8, pushing developers to create apps for Blue.
Too many Windows changes. Guess I will be going Android.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:07   #1695
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Greetings!

Why do you think that?
Users access the desktop during first installation to set up the printer. Every Windows application written before Windows 8 is a desktop application. If you open anything at all that you had on your computer before, you open the desktop. It's like saying: "85% of people who got into their new car for the first time started the engine and put it in gear". No kidding?

Quote:
Too many Windows changes. Guess I will be going Android.
Please do (and good luck with that on your desktop PC). How often does Android OS update and make significant changes to its OS? How often does OSX update and introduce changes? No problem, no? But now Windows follows suit and it's too many changes! You are contradicting yourself.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:18   #1696
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
It's like saying: "85% of people who got into their new car for the first time started the engine and put it in gear". No kidding?
Exactly. "15% of new car users didnt put gear in their first drive", how could that possibly make sense to you?
Quote:
But now Windows follows suit and it's too many changes! You are contradicting yourself.
Where I am contradicting myself?
The advantage of Windows has always been their "stableness", that is going out the window.
Microsoft just released WRT, W8, WP8 and Server, and in less than a year they will be changing the game rules again?
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:24   #1697
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
How are they becoming less stable? If anything Microsoft are firming up their range. They are the first company to offer true OS integration with the cloud across devices which I can tell you as I use Windows 8 on my PC and Windows 8 Phone is a great thing.

What is wrong with 85% of people accessing the desktop? Have you actually used Windows 8?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:30   #1698
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Impar, some people just like to smell the leather. . It makes perfect sense. Some people don't have printers to install and just spent the first session playing with the new apps. I did.

You are contradicting yourself in that you intend to switch to Android which has had two updates just this year alone, with some considerable GUI changes (improvements, actually) to boot. Its consistency does not seem to worry you. Apple updates iOS and OSX every year. No consistency worries there either, it seems. But it is when Windows does it? Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Last edited by Nexxo; 29th Nov 2012 at 13:42.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 13:07   #1699
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
me thinks people are nuts.

Microsoft Surface will need yearly updates if its ever going to get a foothold in the current market, Same as the windows phone.( on the hardware side of things ) This is not really debate worthy, the current consummer market expects a new release from samsung apple ect every year without fail. ( And millions of customers upgrade every single year even buying out of there current contracts)

On software i dout we will see a major upgrade of windows RT with the release of new hardware, They may add a few more things to the OS but im not really sure if they can add in anything thats not already there.

The simple reason is if microsoft released windows 9 this time next year people would find something else to use as there OS, Big business would start to look elsewhere as they can ill afford an upgrade to the latest windows every year.

IOS and Andriod software side are not critical to the survival of anything in use. You could live without a mobile phone or tablet. Most companies could not live without a windows PC at this present time. OSX is not majorly implemented in many businesses unless they are doing graphics work. ( In which case its a small ish business anyway)
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2012, 13:40   #1700
faugusztin

Quote:
Once Windows Blue is released, the Windows SDK will be updated to support the new release and Microsoft will stop accepting apps that are built specifically for Windows 8, pushing developers to create apps for Blue.
And if you would understand what it means, then you would understand that it means absolutely nothing. Windows Blue SDK will be Windows 8 SDK + new things. And considering Windows Blue will be pretty much a free Windows 8 SP1 everyone will have it on their computers as mandatory update.

Win32 API is still there. RT/Store app API will be still there, even in Windows Blue. It only will be expanded by new features.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview