bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 4th Dec 2012, 11:48   #1
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Xir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxony / Germany
Posts: 3,947
Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Win7 and Office 2010 for dummy (me)

I know I know, I’m a couple of years late.
But the larger the company, the slower the software rollouts.
Anyway, returning from a year off I got surprised with a shiny new laptop, and Win7 and Office 2010.

I’m not really looking for advice (well, I’ll ask for it if I really need it) just looking for a platform to let of some steam while I poke my way through. ;-)

Day 1

Aaah, shiny new laptop with shiny new software. Would be nice to play with and get to know, alas I’ve got to work with it...now.
Clean, no clutter (as you’d expect from a new system) Just the IE, WinExplorer and Mediaplayer on the Taskbar, ooooh, no systemtray notifications.
Nice, nothing running in the background.
Wait, that’s odd, something SHOULD be running in the background. Company connection software, VNC stuff like that. Why don’t I see it?
Ah…hidden. yes I suppose I don’t need to see if someone from external has connected *sigh* At least I can turn them on again.
Setting up two screens is easy, now for something productive. Outlook and Excel (yes, we’re oldfashioned) ;-)
Start…no Office, ah programs, no Office. hmmm that’s a short list *sigh* a scrollbar, really?
Outlook and Excell, shortcut to desktop, at least that still works.
There, look weird somehow, with a giant bar cluttering up about a quarter of the screen on the laptop, doesn’t really matter on the external screen though.
Must be the famous “ribbon” bar. Filled with lots of stuff I never used before and won’t need. Probably just needs organization.
Hooray, excel can finally count and calculate time, that’s going to save a lot of converting.
Its Ribbon is also filled with 2/3 useless crap, yet the simple things seem to be missing.
Spent 5 minutes trying to insert a column…found out it’s not in the “insert” tab, but in the “start” tab. Very logical, also takes five clicks instead of two. :-(
Trying to reorganize the ribbon is…not self explaining, must do that when I have an hour off. Managed to get the insert column shortcut onto another bar, below the ribbon, yay. More space wasted, but at least no five clicks anymore.
The Taskbar is driving me insane, grouping things is nice for websites, but not for excelfiles, as they all look the same in the thumbnails, also I now klick-mousesearch-klick instead of doubleclick. No big throw
__________________
SN25P
A64 3700+ (San Diego)
2 GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL 2-3-2-5 1T
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 12:51   #2
RichCreedy
Hey What Who
 
RichCreedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: lost in the middle of lincolnshire
Posts: 4,247
RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
You will get used to it, and find it does make sense. Just give it a little time.
__________________
if there are errors in my messages, its because my brain is to far ahead of my hands
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 12:57   #3
ferret141
Ultramodder
 
ferret141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Behind J00 sumware, London
Posts: 1,046
ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't know how much control you have over the laptop but you can ungroup taskbar items in the taskbar properties.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 3.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 12:57   #4
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again
 
kenco_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 9,692
kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
I usually insert a column by right-clicking on the column letter (or number in R1C1 format) and insert.
__________________
formaggio gâteau
kenco_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 15:13   #5
lp rob1
PAM says no...
 
lp rob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ::1
Posts: 1,513
lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Have you installed a browser other than IE yet? Because if you haven't, you really should do that right now...
__________________
The Linux Schools Project
lp rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 15:33   #6
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s
 
Zoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere near a dremel in Bristol
Posts: 3,083
Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As a new user to Windows 7 I offer you a couple of tips.

1. Right click your Excel icon on the taskbar and select 'Pin this program to taskbar'

2. Right click your Excel icon again and hover over the recent items - a 'pin' appears on the right - click it for your everyday items. Now launch your every day items by a simple right click followed by a left click. Bliss.

You can of course disable the taskbar grouping, but I personally love a nice uncluttered desktop and taskbar.

Windows key + tab will give you a nice way of tabbing through them all and find it more easily.

You can customise the ribbon too. Some things are moved for the sake of it, but some of them are more logical. You do get used to it quite easily.

If you're a regular Visio user, make sure you turn on 'Developer Mode' it'll reveal all those handy options for making custom shapes that are otherwise hidden.
__________________
Datacentre architect and engineer extraordinaire. Maybe.
Zoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 15:45   #7
RichCreedy
Hey What Who
 
RichCreedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: lost in the middle of lincolnshire
Posts: 4,247
RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp rob1 View Post
Have you installed a browser other than IE yet? Because if you haven't, you really should do that right now...
There is nothing wrong with modern internet explorer 8/9/10

And don't say other browsers are more secure, they all have their flaws
__________________
if there are errors in my messages, its because my brain is to far ahead of my hands
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 19:12   #8
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Xir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxony / Germany
Posts: 3,947
Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm sure I'll get used to it, just wanted to....well, write down my experience (and lose some frustration in the process)
Main problem is that I don't really have time to play around with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp rob1 View Post
Have you installed a browser other than IE yet? Because if you haven't, you really should do that right now...
Company Computer, Company IE ;-)
Doesn't matter though, I don't get paid to surf

Don't even know Visio, we use a lot of customprogrammed programmes, which is why it took the company so long to convert to Win7.

SAP still looks like it's from the early eighties though
__________________
SN25P
A64 3700+ (San Diego)
2 GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL 2-3-2-5 1T
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 22:19   #9
lp rob1
PAM says no...
 
lp rob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ::1
Posts: 1,513
lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
There is nothing wrong with modern internet explorer 8/9/10

And don't say other browsers are more secure, they all have their flaws
I rarely use the security argument - as you say, each browser has its flaws. Open source browsers are generally quicker to be patched, though, so does that count as security in one way?

Even with 'modern' IE 8/9/10, they still don't support new technologies like HTML5 or CSS3 properly (hell, until recently they couldn't even support ancient* technologies like HTML4 properly!), and this is the main reason that I urge people to switch to anything but IE. Without supporting new and powerful technologies, even if they are still in the development stage, innovation stops. Thankfully we have these competing browsers that are actually striving for innovation...

*I use ancient in the context of: created before I ever laid hands on a computer
__________________
The Linux Schools Project
lp rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2012, 22:39   #10
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel
 
fdbh96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,894
fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp rob1 View Post
I rarely use the security argument - as you say, each browser has its flaws. Open source browsers are generally quicker to be patched, though, so does that count as security in one way?

Even with 'modern' IE 8/9/10, they still don't support new technologies like HTML5 or CSS3 properly (hell, until recently they couldn't even support ancient* technologies like HTML4 properly!), and this is the main reason that I urge people to switch to anything but IE. Without supporting new and powerful technologies, even if they are still in the development stage, innovation stops. Thankfully we have these competing browsers that are actually striving for innovation...

*I use ancient in the context of: created before I ever laid hands on a computer
I was under the impression that IT support at companies don't like chrome and firefox because they're always updating. IE rarely needs an update and when it does, its via windows update.
That and the fact that some websites (actually quite a lot that I use) still don't work at all or partially with anything other than IE, even with compatibility add ons in chrome/FF
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2012, 00:57   #11
RichCreedy
Hey What Who
 
RichCreedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: lost in the middle of lincolnshire
Posts: 4,247
RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
I was under the impression that IT support at companies don't like chrome and firefox because they're always updating. IE rarely needs an update and when it does, its via windows update.
That and the fact that some websites (actually quite a lot that I use) still don't work at all or partially with anything other than IE, even with compatibility add ons in chrome/FF
This is exactly the reason I stick with IE, and why I won't allow the wife and kids to install other browsers on their machines that I manage
__________________
if there are errors in my messages, its because my brain is to far ahead of my hands
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2012, 14:44   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Xir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxony / Germany
Posts: 3,947
Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Day 2

Text is somehow not sharp, both screens are at their native resolutions, but look interpolated. Strange.
No file history…that’s odd, it should be here somewhere.
I’m still resisting to convert to “classic” look, must give the design a chance.
Found out I can select what is shown in the systemtray and what not, sweet, an actual improvement.
Taskbar now previews the thumbnails when I mouse over them, that’s odd, didn’t do that yesterday? Anyway that solves the thumbnail problem.
File history is starting to appear, as the startmenu keeps rearranging itself to show the programs I used most. Weird, needs getting used to.
Argh! I touched the scrollwheel while in the ribbon and everything went berserk…hmmm there must be a method to this madness.
There is a method, this gigantic bar simply wasn’t big enough and consists of multiple bars. Bwech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
IE rarely needs an update and when it does, its via windows update.
My company even checks the Windows-update Updates for compatibility, so we get them...later
__________________
SN25P
A64 3700+ (San Diego)
2 GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL 2-3-2-5 1T
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2012, 17:34   #13
lp rob1
PAM says no...
 
lp rob1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ::1
Posts: 1,513
lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
That and the fact that some websites (actually quite a lot that I use) still don't work at all or partially with anything other than IE, even with compatibility add ons in chrome/FF
Strange - both Firefox and Chrome support HTML4 and CSS2 completely, along with the current W3C JavaScript version. IE I know for a fact supports fewer HTML5 and CSS3 attributes and elements, so what you are saying is that you use badly coded websites that do not adhere to W3C standards.
__________________
The Linux Schools Project
lp rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2012, 18:14   #14
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel
 
fdbh96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,894
fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp rob1 View Post
Strange - both Firefox and Chrome support HTML4 and CSS2 completely, along with the current W3C JavaScript version. IE I know for a fact supports fewer HTML5 and CSS3 attributes and elements, so what you are saying is that you use badly coded websites that do not adhere to W3C standards.
Its mainly erevsion.co.uk, and my schools sharepoint. Erevision.co.uk is looks ancient so Ive got no idea. On the school sharepoint the lists go all messed, and when rolled over flash up and down really fast. Those are pretty much the only 2 times I ever use IE anymore.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 07:31   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Xir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxony / Germany
Posts: 3,947
Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Day 3

Too much to do to look into this further, only noticeable that even experienced users seem to have problems bookmarking things in Win-Explorer.
I just put a shortcut to the desktop in place, but I think folders are “pinnable” somewhere other than the taskbar.
__________________
SN25P
A64 3700+ (San Diego)
2 GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL 2-3-2-5 1T
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 15:42   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own
 
Xir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Saxony / Germany
Posts: 3,947
Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Day 4
Strange behavior allround. Windows doesn’t shut down properly. I guess it doesn’t want me to shut down, just go into sleepstate, as the shutdown isn’t in the list of options when locking the computer.
Anyway when I finally do manage to shut down, it kindof hangs, needing a hardwarerestart.
Locking takes about 6 seconds of seconds. Weird, used to be instantaneous on XP (ctrl-alt-del Enter), now it shows me a black screen first for 6 seconds, then the locking options.
Seems to be connected to my external monitor, without an external monitor it works just as it should.
The external monitor is causing other troubles, windows are often not assigned correctly (not reappearing where they were closed, windows assigning the second window on the wrong side of the first after reconnection.)
The machine generally doesn’t feel faster than my XP one. And this on an i5 with an SSD. For instance logging out of Bit-Tech, takes a couple of seconds after pressing Logout to show me the Logoutdialogue.
On the positive side, autocorrection now detects different languages, which is fantastic.
__________________
SN25P
A64 3700+ (San Diego)
2 GB DDR400 OCZ Platinum EL 2-3-2-5 1T
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 19:53   #17
RichCreedy
Hey What Who
 
RichCreedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: lost in the middle of lincolnshire
Posts: 4,247
RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
You can create an icon on the desktop to shutdown.

Rt click desktop select new > shortcut type shutdown -s give it the name shutdown and you are done, you can do the same for restart with -R instead of -s
__________________
if there are errors in my messages, its because my brain is to far ahead of my hands
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 21:06   #18
Buzzons
Mod Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,733
Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Shutdown is in the options for Win7... no need to give it a shortcut on the desktop

Text is somehow not sharp, both screens are at their native resolutions, but look interpolated. Strange.

-- have you enabled smoothtype? or disabled it?


No file history…that’s odd, it should be here somewhere.

-- what do you mean by file history?

I’m still resisting to convert to “classic” look, must give the design a chance.

-- That's a good idea, as win8 no longer has a classic look - also you lose all the useful additions they made to the GUI if you do

Found out I can select what is shown in the systemtray and what not, sweet, an actual improvement.

-- yep, you can hide things if they're not active too which is useful

Taskbar now previews the thumbnails when I mouse over them, that’s odd, didn’t do that yesterday? Anyway that solves the thumbnail problem.

-- It would have done if you had Aero enabled, also if you do "Shift + Tab" it does what "Alt + Tab" does but with a nice flow thing

File history is starting to appear, as the startmenu keeps rearranging itself to show the programs I used most. Weird, needs getting used to.

-- yep on the left it filters the most used applications you use, you can pull the most important ones to the top of the left side and then they wont go any where


Argh! I touched the scrollwheel while in the ribbon and everything went berserk…hmmm there must be a method to this madness.

-- Which ribbon?

There is a method, this gigantic bar simply wasn’t big enough and consists of multiple bars. Bwech.

-- Which bar?



Locking can be done with "Winkey + L" but it shouldn't take 6 seconds - no idea what you've done to break it like that
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 21:13   #19
RichCreedy
Hey What Who
 
RichCreedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: lost in the middle of lincolnshire
Posts: 4,247
RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
Oops forgot this was windows 7 and not 8
__________________
if there are errors in my messages, its because my brain is to far ahead of my hands
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 21:20   #20
Buzzons
Mod Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,733
Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
you don't need it on Win8 either, just hit "alt f4" from the desktop, and get the standard shutdown options appear...
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:58.
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.