bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 58 42.03%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.64%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 46 33.33%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th Dec 2012, 23:13   #1761
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Its self-evident.
Obviously not. And I'd hate to be told I'm misunderstanding you again so I'd rather you explained your point of view.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 00:09   #1762
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Do you have some special taxes or what ?
VAT 23%. And Nokias always seem to be pricier than elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
... but the rest is insanely overpriced.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
And I'd hate to be told I'm misunderstanding you again so I'd rather you explained your point of view.
Rollo and Oasked did a pretty good job with the "flagship" posts.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 00:52   #1763
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
VAT 23%. And Nokias always seem to be pricier than elsewhere.
No, i meant over the 3% VAT difference, as ...
Lumia 820 is 20% more expensive
Lumia 920 is 12% more expensive
8X is 14% more expensive
SIII is 12% more expensive
... in Portugal compared to Slovakia, where we usually complain how our prices are high compared to Germany or UK . I think it's time for you to ignore local shops and local prices and start ordering from Spain or France.

Anyway, back to Windows 8... Damn MS, why can't i snap Metro app to secondary display ? I mean i want have the Start screen on first/main display and a Metro application snapped to the side on the other display. If i snap an app to the other display now, then all Metro stuff including the start screen moves to that display .
Old 6th Dec 2012, 07:38   #1764
Krazeh
I *am* a Dremel

Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Just because a particular handset is deemed to be the 'flagship' model for a manufacturer doesn't mean it necessarily equates to or should be compared with other manufacturer's 'flagship' models.
Neither of the posts by Rollo and Oasked address this and don't really that do that good a job of explaining why the iPhone 5 shouldn't be compared to the 820. One being a 'flagship' and the other not isn't a full argument when considering different manufacturers.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 08:37   #1765
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
I want to hear your opinion from you. I don't know whether Rollo and Oasked magically managed to read your mind correctly (any more than I can). And as Krazeh points out, they did not address my argument any more than you managed to.

It's time to stop hiding behind links, cryptic one-sentence statements and other people's posts and actually tell us the reasoning behind your opinions, otherwise we cannot have a discussion.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:31   #1766
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
Just because a particular handset is deemed to be the 'flagship' model for a manufacturer doesn't mean it necessarily equates to or should be compared with other manufacturer's 'flagship' models.
But they are. If you look at the official price the 920 is similar priced as the iPhone 5. The 820 is obviously of a lower tier and cheaper.
But even with the 620, WP8 devices arent covering the entire market. On the high-end they are competing price-wise with the iPhones, they cover the mid ground too but they dont reach the market coverage that Android has at the lower end. And they are still not available, will miss the Christmas season.
As comparison, on Android, starting today over here, all major carriers are doing a discount on the Galaxy SIII for a final price of ~450Ä.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 11:43   #1767
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
you can not compare devices priced in different countries it will not work.

Every country has different vat rates and in america most products are priced without sales added tax to confuse things even more. Also alot of countries do different level of subsidising on there phones. Uk for example phones are heavily subed to encourage people to take longer term contracts.

Compare the prices of where you live instead which is all i did with the contract prices.

Id be more intrested in seeing some contract prices for the nokia 920 and 820 in USA and other places. Just to see how much rip off britian is getting charged for a new product.

920 is fighting iphone 5 and sg3 for sales they are the 2 leading devices from the 2 leading operating systems. It is priced to fight those 2 at least in the UK.

820 is a cheaper alternative to fight the iphone 4s and sg2 ( Both of which still sell extremely well in the Uk at least) It is also priced to fight those 2 in the UK.

Where i live at least thats how i see the phone market in another country where prices might be closer then maybe the 820 is fighting the ip5 or sg3 for sales but that is not the case where i live.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 12:04   #1768
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Compare the prices of where you live...
Thats what I did. Prices are in previous page.
The point is WP8 are not available and cant cover all the market price points as Android can.
Quote:
920 is fighting iphone 5 and sg3 for sales they are the 2 leading devices from the 2 leading operating systems.
Usually thats how it goes here too. Thing is all carriers here are currently selling the Galaxy SIII for ~450€ (440-480). Yesterday it was 600€.

Last edited by impar; 6th Dec 2012 at 12:35.
impar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 12:16   #1769
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
SG3 in uk is as low as £26 on contract for free phone
Iphone 5 in uk is £39 for free phone
lumia 920 in uk is £36 for free phone
lumia 820 in uk is £36 for free phone ( This is stupidly overpriced as nobody is going to buy it if you can get the 920 on the same money)

Id be looking at amazon for off contract prices and they are hardly a realistic estimate of what you can really get them for if you go and look around.

SG3 is very cheap at the moment on a UK contract at least. Its been pushed super agresively in the run up to christmas, Adds all around and alot of the big phone sale companies really pushing it if you walk into the stores.

Carphone warehouse
phones 4 u

been the big 2 both have execellent deals on it.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 12:36   #1770
Krazeh
I *am* a Dremel

Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Krazeh is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
lumia 920 in uk is £36 for free phone
lumia 820 in uk is £36 for free phone ( This is stupidly overpriced as nobody is going to buy it if you can get the 920 on the same money)
That's only on EE and is because EE's lowest tariff is £36 a month. You can get the 820 for free on cheaper contracts from other networks.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 13:46   #1771
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Just used phones 4 u can't say I explored to much.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 14:57   #1772
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Just used phones 4 u can't say I explored to much.
You can get the 820 Free for as low as £25pm from carphonewarehouse. But £36pm seems to be the lowest for the 920.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2012, 19:31   #1773
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

An interesting take on Apple's iOS conservatism and Microsoft's radical Windows 8 changes.
Old 6th Dec 2012, 23:56   #1774
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh Logitech now have a win 8 download that covers gaming keyboards and mice . Found mine at http://www.logitech.com/en-us/suppor...tion=downloads but not if I looked for software for the G500 mouse!
Old 7th Dec 2012, 00:51   #1775
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
Oh Logitech now have a win 8 download that covers gaming keyboards and mice . Found mine at http://www.logitech.com/en-us/suppor...tion=downloads but not if I looked for software for the G500 mouse!
SetPoint 3 already works with Win8. (old mouse and keyb)
SetPoint 4 has been adapted to Windows 8. (new mouse and keyb)
SetPoint 5 has not been adapted, yet. (gaming mouse)

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2012, 10:14   #1776
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
This one was "Logitech Gaming Software"
Old 7th Dec 2012, 12:57   #1777
impar
2n-1

Greetings!

Quote:
A guide to Microsoft Licensing types
Iíve been ignorant in the past, thinking that when you buy a product like Windows, Windows Server, Exchange, SQL, etc. you own it and can use it. Not quite.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 13:09   #1778
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

You never "own" a piece of software --just the right to use it in specifically prescribed ways and under specifically prescribed conditions. 't Was ever so, for any software by any publisher. If the writer of that article genuinely believed different, he is in the wrong job.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 13:12   #1779
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yup, all non-open source software follow the same license.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2012, 13:57   #1780
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Yep says so in steams terms and conditions you are just buying a license to use this product.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview