bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Oct 2012, 17:56   #61
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
Yeah, a paper towel and alcohol should clean it up very easily. Most adheasives that are used on things like stickers and tape comes off with just a little wiping if you use alcohol.
If it IS acrylic... I suggest NOT to use alcohol. If it's Polycarbonate on the other hand, you should be fine.

Awesome start to yet another amazing mod i presume!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2012, 21:41   #62
Nutman
Never stuck with stock

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yah... if there are ANY tensions inside acrylics and you add alcohol to it, bad things will happen. At least with extruded acrylics. Not sure the same applies to cast acrylics, but I guess so?

Projects: Nutman - Hampen - F.O.B. T.C. - BabyShark - The Scratchbench
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 17:55   #63
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=Nutman;3187334]Yah... if there are ANY tensions inside acrylics and you add alcohol to it, bad things will happen. At least with extruded acrylics. Not sure the same applies to cast acrylics, but I guess so?
QUOTE]

Well good thing you guys are here... because I've only ever done it with lexan (polycarbonate) and been OK. I guess I never new acrylic would react any differnetly! Makes sense that it might though, they are totally different materials.

Thanks for pointing out my blunder though guys!
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 19:57   #64
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Just wanted to do an example for you guys, so you could see what happens with acrylic and alcohol.

I am 100% sure that this is cast and not extruded, since cast is the only thing that works when using it to draw fibers from.

Drilled a couple of nice holes in it and filled them with alcohol. (99%)
2 seconds later:

There's your sign! Just a friendly warning!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 20:34   #65
Owndapwn
Modder

Owndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run Crysis
O_O

That acrylic thing....
Does that affect the structure of the acrylic?
Like....... Say I'm considering modding my Tempest 410 to have a clear window in it, but want something for the case lights to catch on....
And I flame treat the edges and splash rubbing alcohol on it (It's like $4 for a half gallon at Sam's Club. Not the best alcohol solution, but dirt cheap and not that bad) and it spider cracks along the edges, would it still be able to support the dual 120mm fans I would mount to the acrylic, and would it remain solid enough?

'Cause if you WANT that design, that'd be a very simple way to do it for a very nice result, but does it ruin the acrylic for more than just aesthetics?
Owndapwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2012, 21:10   #66
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owndapwn View Post
O_O

That acrylic thing....
Does that affect the structure of the acrylic?
Like....... Say I'm considering modding my Tempest 410 to have a clear window in it, but want something for the case lights to catch on....
And I flame treat the edges and splash rubbing alcohol on it (It's like $4 for a half gallon at Sam's Club. Not the best alcohol solution, but dirt cheap and not that bad) and it spider cracks along the edges, would it still be able to support the dual 120mm fans I would mount to the acrylic, and would it remain solid enough?

'Cause if you WANT that design, that'd be a very simple way to do it for a very nice result, but does it ruin the acrylic for more than just aesthetics?
Without a doubt it will compromise the structural integrity of the acrylic. Whether or not that matters with your application is up for debate. My guess is it won't matter much, but I imagine it will make it more delicate. Acrylic can withstand some abuse, but with that kind of crazing I would assume "playing nice" would be a good idea.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 03:17   #67
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
@Owndapwn - You could do 2 layers, one crazed and one glued on for strength... or 2 crazed on one side and glued facing each other. -Did it with the 'Toad.

Forgot the original question. Naphtha on toilet paper. It should be OK on plexi. I just cleaned a spot today in fact.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2012, 08:07   #68
Owndapwn
Modder

Owndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run Crysis
Dx If anyone has an extra sheet of scuffed up and unusable sheet, I would be VERY greatful if someone could test how much abuse it can take.

I may be able to do a second sheet, but I'm not sure how much acrylic is.
Hell, these would be $64 alone. That's already as much as my case cost.
Owndapwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 00:05   #69
phinix
Say it! Who's your dremel?!

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Cheers guys - I know what happns when use alcohol on acrylic, that is exactly why I didn't use it.
I investigated it a lot when was making Phinix Cube and found out that alcohol isn't good for cleaning acrylic. Not even cast, when you caut out some shape from cast acrylic, alcohol can still ruin it by getting in all micro-scratches.
No worries, I will not use alcohol for cleaning it
star citizen :::
ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI
phinix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 00:12   #70
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Warm soapy water, give it a soaking washing it by hand & if needed a rub down with a good microfibre cloth without adding scratches.

Next time keep the protective film on the acrylic & stick the templates on the film to cut the bother out.

That tinted rod is awesome not seen tinted rod before now & cheers for the link phinix, some interesting bits there & the SSD rack idea is nice.

5 stars
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 15:13   #71
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinix View Post
Bill's packages always put a smile on my face - look at these beauties!
I tried out this blowhole on the case - it is perfect fit! Case is only 4mm wider than this aluminum disc - it looks sooo cool on top of it But that I will show you guys later

haha, Well, I'm very excited to see how you'll be implementing our case mod products. Mnpctech is honored that you chose Us!
Old 18th Oct 2012, 20:05   #72
FifteeeCal
Modder

FifteeeCal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That SSD mounting system is insane! This build is looking gooooood.
FifteeeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2012, 01:21   #73
phinix

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Warm soapy water, give it a soaking washing it by hand & if needed a rub down with a good microfibre cloth without adding scratches.

Next time keep the protective film on the acrylic & stick the templates on the film to cut the bother out.

That tinted rod is awesome not seen tinted rod before now & cheers for the link phinix, some interesting bits there & the SSD rack idea is nice.

5 stars
Thanks Waynio - that is exactly the method I used to clean it up. I used washing liquid and it worked fine, still needed a bit of rubbing, but final result was great.
I will keep film next time I use those templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
haha, Well, I'm very excited to see how you'll be implementing our case mod products. Mnpctech is honored that you chose Us!
Thanks Bill! Your products are top quality, I'm happy I can use them in my new project

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteeeCal View Post
That SSD mounting system is insane! This build is looking gooooood.
Thanks, glad to see you like it
Old 12th Nov 2012, 01:47   #74
phinix

Guys, sorry for a bit long absence. My mum visited us for a month so I made a vacation from most of my activities
She also bought me this and from the moment I installed it, it takes pretty much all my free time now

But now I'm back!
Of course the problem is that during a week I come back from work around 7pm when it's already dark, so cannot work outside. Only moment I can do some work are weekends.
Today I spent few hours on finishing SSD cage/brackets.
So here's a minor update.

I can only work outside now, no more cutting aluminium or acrylic at home
I'm saving some money for a new shed, which will be long and spacy. I will put all my tools there and will be able to do all my modding (read: make mess all over the shed)

Right now, this work bench is all I have

I was filing the edges of all SSD pads. Lot of work especially those small short edges inside.

Couple of hours and it was all done.
I also cut off two pieces of this blue acrylic rod, which will be a spine for the the whole drives/lcd/reservoir structure.
I took it all home and used 400 grid sand paper to polish all edges under water.
After 20 minutes it was ready to try out
I'm pushing those rods with my hand so those shelves won't drop down. Those holes are a bit bigger then 20mm rod dimiter - they will be drilled through and screwed in with M3 bolts. I will use small brass inserts to mount them, same as I used in Cube.

Here's a try out in the case. All fits in perfectly, those rods will be mounted in special aluminum frames at the bottom and top of the case. Simple alu pieces with 20mm holes screwed in the the case base and fabricates top frame. I'll show that later when will be closer to mounting it all in.

As you may noticed, at the beginning I wanted to do 4 shelves, but nowadays, when SSD prices dropped and bigger drives are much cheaper I don't think I will need 4 drives in the PC. I will go for 128GB, 256GB SSD and one HDD for storage. Enough I think...
Of course I kept forth piece in case I change my mind later on. Structure will be easy to dismantle in case I would like to throw in one more drive. Flexibility is also important in the project

Last photo - here are M3 brass inserts I mentioned before. These are perfect for quick and easy installation of acrylic parts. I will use a lot of them in this project.

OK, this is it, small progress, but wanted to share it with you guys, I hope you don't mind.
Next week will be cutting aluminum sheet to fabricate power cage!
See you next time!

Last edited by phinix; 12th Nov 2012 at 10:03.
Old 13th Nov 2012, 18:06   #75
krussellusaf
Modder

krussellusaf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is going to turn out amazing. I can't wait to see more.
krussellusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2012, 18:11   #76
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming SaiyanSarakon is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Already looking awesome Looking forward to the next update.
Old 14th Nov 2012, 16:15   #77
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Excellent! More, please
Old 14th Nov 2012, 17:53   #78
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice work I'm glad to see this project progressing and I am looking forward to more updates!

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2012, 17:12   #79
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Any new updates? excited to see what you do next, phinix
Old 1st Jan 2013, 17:12   #80
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Haven't heard any updates, hope everything is OK?

Tags
lian li case mod

View Mode