bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 60 42.55%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.11%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.33%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th Dec 2012, 05:04   #1821
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
I like to keep my alt-Tab tidy and with an AMD C60 APU, that little bit of extra overhead might actually be useful.
Yup, I am with you on this one.
I just wanted to mention it.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2012, 01:14   #1822
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Old 12th Dec 2012, 14:02   #1823
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
My god Microsoft what have you done!

I've had Win8 for 24 hours now and it's part brilliant part retarded. There is NO NEED for two desktops. I feel that they could have done away with the old desktop and just used Metro.

I actually really like Metro, but it's so confused that sometime I open stuff in Metro and it's not on desktop and vice versa. Gah!

Best part is snapping a window the the side - pure genius and I love it.
Old 12th Dec 2012, 14:38   #1824
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
I actually really like Metro, but it's so confused that sometime I open stuff in Metro and it's not on desktop and vice versa. Gah!
All Windows desktop programs are still in there. So you may want to open Default Programs panel (Start > type: Default Programs), and go for every non-Metro App and set it to load all file associations. I recommend to do this, once all your programs are installed, so that you do this procedure once.

And voila, now everything stays on the desktop, and you don't switch between the 2 modes.

Here are some nice Metro apps to get, for some live tile goodness.
-> News Bento
-> Toms Hardware (well not really great app, but it works fine)
-> /r/etro (Reddit feed, if you like reading that)
-> Skype
I have other apps but they are aimed for Canada. News Bento allows you to pin news section (like Ars Technica, or one of many other sites), or RSS feed of your choice, as a live tile.

Just for fun, check out Microsoft updated Windows games: Minesweeper (has kinda like a basic RPG adventure game mode inside), Solitaire Collection, and Mahjong.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 12th Dec 2012, 20:05   #1825
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
...I have other apps but they are aimed for Canada. ...
I'm in Canada too so I'm cuious as to what you found.

Quote:
... Just for fun, check out Microsoft updated Windows games: Minesweeper (has kinda like a basic RPG adventure game mode inside), Solitaire Collection, and Mahjong.
I am intrigued - booting up new Win 8 to check those out now.
Old 12th Dec 2012, 20:14   #1826
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
I'm in Canada too so I'm cuious as to what you found.
-> CTV News
-> NBC News
-> National Film Board of Canada
-> Netflix
-> All Recipes

Old 12th Dec 2012, 23:10   #1827
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
There is NO NEED for two desktops.
You cant have W8 without Desktop (even WRT has it), you can have W8 without Metro.

Quote:
In bringing Office to iOS, Microsoft is playing a dangerous game
In so doing, the company stands a good chance of cementing the role of the iPad as a business tool, eroding the advantages of Windows Phone 8 and undermining the entire value proposition of Windows RT. It will also hole Microsoft's argument that the iPad is "just" for content consumption below the waterline. The upside of Office on iOS? That's harder to fathom.
Old 12th Dec 2012, 23:17   #1828
GoodBytes

If there is an Office on iOS and Android, it will be Word, Excel and PowerPoint viewer, or small editor... like you can put text size, bold, italic, and underline.. maybe also color. But nothing else. Like a bare bone version of Office.

Old 12th Dec 2012, 23:49   #1829
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
If there is an Office on iOS and Android, it will be Word, Excel and PowerPoint viewer, or small editor... like you can put text size, bold, italic, and underline.. maybe also color. But nothing else. Like a bare bone version of Office.
On ios there is Pages/Numbers/Keynote but at 7 each they're not cheap... and unless you're using an ipad, a pain in the arse to use... then you have the ballache of getting the documents on to the iThing to begin with...

Google drive is bit of a pain to use too

EDIT: nvm... completely didn't read the preceding posts... _

Last edited by RedFlames; 12th Dec 2012 at 23:56.
RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2012, 23:54   #1830
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
According to the Verge, Office for iOS will ship as a set of free apps (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel—OneNote is already available for iOS) that will allow viewing of their respective document types. Limited creation and editing will be enabled through purchase of an Office 365 subscription.
Viewers + Office 365 subscription allowing limited editing, pretty much what online Office 365 offers.

No way that is going to endanger the Windows version, unless MS really enhances the online version to have all the desktop features.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 00:07   #1831
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Depends if they consider open office from google a threat or not, I know in the few companies that I have friends working at, they have switched to open office simply because it saves the company money.

If your having to licence several 1000 copies you do wonder if the big companies are thinking we could save a small fortune if we only need word.

Open office excel is crap due to lack of macros but I'd wonder how many people that affects in day to day usage, I know a few companies who dropped sage for quickbooks and saved a few grand on doing it.

Google docs works on iOS you can edit the document online without alot of issues.
I assume if Microsoft wants some market share office would have to do similar things on iOS.

Not that I'd personally want to use a tablet for typing extended documents. Give me a nice mechanical keyboard any day of the week.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 00:20   #1832
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If your having to licence several 1000 copies you do wonder if the big companies are thinking we could save a small fortune if we only need word.

Open office excel is crap due to lack of macros but I'd wonder how many people that affects in day to day usage
I don't think I'll ever buy office. Libre office suits my needs perfectly. I have never needed all the super duper maros et al. Just the basics. I would imagine that most people are the same, but spring for office because its familiar. Or they just don't know about the alternatives.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 00:28   #1833
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok so my Windows.edb file is 39.5GB!

What is it and how do I reduce the file size?!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 00:42   #1834
GoodBytes

What did you do, index your entire drive?
Anyway, to clear it, they are 2 ways.
1- Open the Index Options panel, on it, click on Advanced, and click on Rebuild.
2- Stop and Disable the search service, and you should be able to delete the file manually. You might need to restart your computer if you can't. Once done, enable back the service (needs to be "Automatic" as it was), and start it.

Old 13th Dec 2012, 00:46   #1835
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks Goodbytes, I turned it off in the end! It had filled up my drive!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 09:23   #1836
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
You cant have W8 without Desktop (even WRT has it), you can have W8 without Metro.
Metro isn't a desktop. Some people just can't handle the change in paradigm.

Although I still reside a lot in desktop, I really like the Metro Start Screen and its apps. Every time I open something like News Bento I think how cool this would be on a tablet like Surface. And I think that is partly the point: to have a desktop OS that offers a comfortably familiar and convenient cross-over with the tablet OS. It even carries your data, apps and settings across automatically. Once people get past the "OMG, change! change!..." phase of adjustment, it will make perfect sense.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 01:43   #1837
GoodBytes

@longweight, some good news on Windows Phone 8: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/13/3...tore-locations

Old 14th Dec 2012, 13:12   #1838
impar
2n-1

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft's new Windows chief discusses Sinofsky, the iPad, and a transition to touch
Larson-Green reveals that she first saw an iPad after Microsoft had its Windows 8 design "ready to go." After starting work on Windows 8 in June 2009, ahead of the Windows 7 release, Larson-Green admits Microsoft was excited by Apple's approach to the iPad. "A lot of things they were doing about mobile and touch were similar to what wed been thinking."
Quote:
Google rules out Windows 8 apps
So that means that users of Windows 8 will not be able to load Windows Phone or Windows 8 PC with dedicated Gmail or Google Drive apps. According to V3 Google said that it had no plans to build out Windows apps. Google Apps product management director Clay Bavor said that Google was careful about where it invested and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8.

Quote:
Sales of Latest Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 Handsets May Be Lower Than Projected Analyst.
Initial Shipments of Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 May Be Constrained
According the analyst, there is initial pent-up demand that is resulting in stores selling out of initial shipments in a few days. Nevertheless, this is largely to do with the low shipment volumes rather than surprisingly strong demand. The observers estimate that the batches the stores receive from Nokia are small, considering the lack of massive backorders, the demand is also not that that high.
Nothing new:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Its a supply problem not large demand problem.
Old 15th Dec 2012, 17:21   #1839
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Chromes Windows 8 mode is quite nice. It's rather nice to have a near zero overhead for having a stack of pages open in the background.

Admittedly it's not something I notice at all on my desktop, but on my little lappy with only 2GB ram and a very basic C60 APU, it does help.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2012, 18:32   #1840
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
Chromes Windows 8 mode is quite nice. It's rather nice to have a near zero overhead for having a stack of pages open in the background.

Admittedly it's not something I notice at all on my desktop, but on my little lappy with only 2GB ram and a very basic C60 APU, it does help.
only downside is if you're playing something in browser like youtube it'll mute/stop playing when you switch to another app... it does for me at least

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview