bit-tech.net

Old 14th Nov 2012, 00:50   #1
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Board Game Reviews

Hi,

Over the last couple of years there have been a number of board game reviews and particularly in the last six months or so. Unfortunately I had to donate my magazines to make some room recently and typically I forgot to grab the details before I did so. Is there a resource somewhere that I can refer to which shows which board games were reviewed? I have searched and searched but can't find anything.

There is a sticky thread here with a reviews index, but it is very much out of date.

There was a game reviewed five or six (or so) issues back that I wanted to track down, but I can't remember what it was called! The guys at Custom PC loved it, so I wanted to try and get it for my board games group.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 10:11   #2
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Bit late on this reply but, boardgames that have been reviewed in the last six months or so in custom are...

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game
Memoir '44
Warhammer Invasion
Stronghold
Kingdom Builder

Hope that helps

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 11:27   #3
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yes, that's great - thanks for the reply! Stronghold was the one I was looking for and I would never had recalled it without your reply!

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Old 24th Mar 2013, 17:14   #4
postmangav
Multimodder

postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I ended up getting Warhammer Invasion on the back of the review. Really enjoyable game but can get very costly when you start buying extra decks.
postmangav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2013, 22:56   #5
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by postmangav View Post
I ended up getting Warhammer Invasion on the back of the review. Really enjoyable game but can get very costly when you start buying extra decks.
Living card games are always a colossal money sink. There are plenty of card games which are stand alone and have great replay factor too though. Things like Revolver, Gloom, Munchkin and Braggart are all great fun and frequently hilarious.

There's a whole subculture surrounding board games out there and some truly are spectacularly good fun to play, especially those with multiple ways to win and deep strategy to win. Twilight Struggle, Kingsburg, Civilisation, and Agricola amongst many, many others are personal favourites.
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2013, 01:19   #6
Jedra
Supermodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
There's a whole subculture surrounding board games out there and some truly are spectacularly good fun to play, especially those with multiple ways to win and deep strategy to win. Twilight Struggle, Kingsburg, Civilisation, and Agricola amongst many, many others are personal favourites.
There certainly is a massive board game following. I have about 100 or so in my collection and my board gaming group has many, many more between us all.

I am not so much into the Living or Collectable card games - I own a few sets of Dominion, but don't play it much. Having said that, my group played Blood Bowl Team Manager last week and it looked great fun - I was embroiled in a campaign of Descent at the time so missed it!

I played Agricola solo this evening - it's a very, very good game.

Other favourites of mine are;

Arkham Horror, Mage Knight, Power Grid, Alien Frontiers, Brass, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium 3 (not that I can get many people to play it these days), Mansions Of Madness.

I got Bora Bora a couple of weeks ago - it's a great Euro but can be tough if you don't know what you're doing.

I am hoping to play Terra Mystica soon, which looks like another brain bender!

Old 26th Mar 2013, 04:47   #7
postmangav
Multimodder

postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.postmangav is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
We started a Descent campaign a while back. Must get back into that...
postmangav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2013, 11:21   #8
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post

Other favourites of mine are;

Arkham Horror, Mage Knight, Power Grid, Alien Frontiers, Brass, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium 3 (not that I can get many people to play it these days), Mansions Of Madness.
I really enjoyed Eclipse and Power Grid. Mansions of Madness I've yet to play but a friend of mine has it. Another personal favourite is Fortune and Glory (even though it's painfully expensive).
Worklog - The Amputer!
Old 26th Mar 2013, 13:07   #9
Jedra
Supermodel

Quote:
I really enjoyed Eclipse and Power Grid. Mansions of Madness I've yet to play but a friend of mine has it. Another personal favourite is Fortune and Glory (even though it's painfully expensive).
Fortune and Glory does look good - it is pretty hard to get here in the UK, but I believe their are a couple of new expansions out this year (Rise of the Crimson hand and Treasure Hunters) so maybe their will be a restock of the base game. It is eye watering at it's price point though!!

Old 26th Mar 2013, 15:27   #10
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

That's why I only play when a friend brings it over lol
Worklog - The Amputer!
Old 27th Mar 2013, 13:02   #11
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by postmangav View Post
Glad to hear it, it's one of the best card games we've reviewed. Which extra decks did you buy? was it any good? We've only got the dark/high elf one at the moment.

Old 27th Mar 2013, 13:04   #12
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
I played Agricola solo this evening - it's a very, very good game.
Ho ho ho, guess what we've taken a look at for the next issue of the mag! You're right, its a good game, though we found the instruction manual a little frustrating at times.

If you have any games you'd like us to get in to review, feel free to make some suggestions.

Old 27th Mar 2013, 22:16   #13
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I do hear good things about Lords of Waterdeep but have yet to play it. Jedra may be able to help with that one though.
Worklog - The Amputer!
Old 28th Mar 2013, 01:07   #14
Jedra
Supermodel

Not played it either - it's on my wishlist though! It is defined as a short strategy game in that it has all the elements of a Euro Strategy but is designed to play for 60 minutes. Probably not a bad choice for a Custom PC review actually. The truly hard core board gamers don't seem to like it, but I reckon it looks like a good intro into board gaming and also great for those times where you don't want to sit down at a game for 3 hours!

Eclipse (the epic Euro Space Opera) is coming to iOS any time now - that would probably make a good review too. Maybe review the board game and it's electronic little brother side by side!

http://www.bigdaddyscreations.com/77...lopment-video/

Mage Knight (specifically with the Lost Legion expansion) might also make a good review. I really like this game - a combination of deck building and miniatures (pre painted nice ones at that!).

Old 28th Mar 2013, 04:12   #15
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Had no idea about eclipse for iOS, I must have this
Worklog - The Amputer!
Old 1st Apr 2013, 13:11   #16
Jedra
Supermodel

Quote:
Had no idea about eclipse for iOS, I must have this
It has been delayed and delayed. However I can see that getting this on an iPad would be a big job. There's a lot going on in Eclipse. I wonder if they are including the Rise of The Ancients expansion and some of the promo items (like the tractor beam and the pulsar).

I took the plunge and bought Lords of Waterdeep the other day. I think it's an excellent game and would be ideal as a 'gateway' game to introduce people into 'proper' board games. It is basically a worker placement game set in the Dungeons and Dragons world.

You compete to complete 'quests' that are only completed when you have gathered enough resources (those resources being Fighters, Clerics, Rogues and Wizards). You gather resources by placing your agents on spaces that produce them. Each turn only one agent can use each space so there is an advantage to not being last! You can use your agent to claim the 'first player' space though. You can claim new quests at any time using one of your agents.

You start with a limited number of Agents (depending on the number of players), and at the start of round 5, everyone gets an extra agent.

The board has six or seven spaces that produce resources, but you can also elect to build workshops around the edge of the board that allow for further resource production. These extra buildings are revealed randomly, 3 to begin with, and then a new building is added every time one is removed to be built. Each of these workshops is owned by the player that built it, and they receive a reward whenever another player uses the workshop. For instance, if the workshop produces 2 Wizards, the owner may get 1 wizard as a reward. The owner does not get the reward as well as the production if he uses his own workshop!

Intrigue cards add further player interaction - these can be drawn as an action and played as an action. The intrigue cards usually give you the ability to quickly draw a certain type of resource, for instance it may allow you to draw 4 money, at the same time you must choose someone else who is allowed to draw 2 money - so you have to use them wisely as you could give someone else the resource they need. The Intrigue cards also have Mandatory Quests these are quests you can give to other players that they MUST complete before they can continue with their own quests. You can use them to make your opponents use up resources you know they need for their other quests. Mandatory Quests give a lot less Victory Points than normal quests so can be a bit of a pain when you are given one by another player!

Each player also has a Lord of Waterdeep card. These cards give the player special bonus points at the end of the game if they have managed to complete certain quests. The quests themselves are in several categories (Warfare, Arcana, Commerce, Warfare, Skullduggery) and your Lord Of Waterdeep card may say 'At the end of the game, collect 4 VP for each Arcana and Piety quest completed).

The game is run over several rounds (ten I think) and the winner is the person with the most Victory Points. Victory points are mainly earned from completing quests although you get some for the amount of money and resources you have left over at the end of the game and you also get the bonus from the 'Lord' cards.

An interesting feature is that the Quest Cards are kept visible to all players, so you know what resources everyone needs. The Intrigue and the Lord cards are secret though.

I really enjoyed the game. I played with 3 players and I suspect that it was a little easy. There wasn't really any major competition for resources, although towards the end we were all trying to collect Rogues and there was only one space producing them at the time. I suspect that with the full compliment of 5 players it would be a tougher game. However, I enjoyed the theme as it made it seem like I wasn't playing a worker placement game (sometimes they can be a bit dry) and it played in less than an hour which is great for this kind of game. It means you can realistically have another game if you screwed up the first time round!

I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for something a bit lighter than your usual 'Euro' or if you play with D&D fans or people who don't normally play this type of game!