bit-tech.net

Old 12th Dec 2012, 14:39   #2961
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've got a pair of merino lined sealskinz that keep my feet warm, bought them for biviying but they do double duty in the winter. Problem with them is if you're wearing them and its currently raining water gets down into them and can't get out. When your only option is putting wet boots on they're fantastic!
Old 12th Dec 2012, 16:07   #2962
Malvolio

Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof82 View Post
My forks are damaged:

[snip]

I've never bought forks before, would this be an appropriate replacement?
Quite the bit of damage! Squinting as best I can those do look like they'll fit the bill. Things to consider: length of steerer tube (from the top to where it meets the crown), steerer tube type (yours seems to be 1 1/8" threadless, so that's fine), and if your brakes will work with it (I'm guessing you are using double pivot road callipers, which will work fine with the new fork).

Make sure you also order an appropriate star nut (new forks don't come with them) and ensure you have a good hacksaw blade handy!

@da_rude_baboon - I've not tried that specific brand, but I do own a very similar product from Gore (basic waterproof sock that is labelled as "breathable") and can echo what Steveo up there said. However, their biggest benefit is that they'll keep your feet warm even when they are fully wet, it's cold outside, and the wind is howling. I've done a couple two day charity rides in the pouring rain with these socks in non-waterproof shoes and although they do get wet inside, my feet are never cold in them - even when I've put them on dripping wet in the morning. Give them a shot, as they're a hell of a lot cheaper than a set of shoes!

Last edited by Malvolio; 12th Dec 2012 at 16:15.
Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2012, 17:08   #2963
Otis1337
aka - Reaper

Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.

Just got this in the post today, looks very sexy and feels great!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bike-ribbon-eleganza-bar-tape/
Old 12th Dec 2012, 18:23   #2964
fix-the-spade
Hypermodder

fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.fix-the-spade is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon View Post
Anyone any experience of SealSkinz socks?
They're all kinds of wonderful. Unfortunately the breathability of the liners is a bit over rated, but the value of warm feet is worth a bit of sweat.
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2012, 19:10   #2965
lm_wfc
Supermodder

lm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysis
Quote:
Not recently but have done. They do they say on the tin. Can be a really odd feeling if you step in a puddle though. Also not too comfortable but alot better than wet feet
Old 13th Dec 2012, 12:41   #2966
RevDarny
Supermodder

RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.RevDarny is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
These are great, keep you feet nice and warm in the winter. To a degree.
Old 13th Dec 2012, 13:21   #2967
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Thanks for all the reply's everybody, rep to all.

I will pick up a pair in the smaller size to keep them close fitting. I have retired the bike for the winter but I will use them year round as once I'm out in the hills it can be pretty boggy in the heather and i'm often fording streams.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 14:58   #2968
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I figured this would be the thread to come to for bicycle questions, so here goes!

I mainly ride on roads but occasionally venture out onto dirt tracks, so a pure road bike wouldn't be viable. I've had a mountain bike and they're all well and good but they're knackering over long distances on roads, so I'm looking at hybrid bikes. My budget is around 300, but I'll stretch it if it's worth it.

Are there any that you knowledgeable folk would recommend?

Feel free to try and change my mind on what type of bike to get too, it's not set in stone.

I can imagine this question has been asked before, but looking through 149 pages of posts isn't exactly what I'd like.

I already know to avoid Halfords like the plague after an Apollo bike packed up on me.
Phenom II X4 940 w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM @ 1066MHz | Asus GTX 460 1GB (900/1800/2100) | 1.8TB of HDDs | Antec 900 | Corsair TX750W | Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Steam
I motovlog
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 15:56   #2969
Malvolio

Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Best advice anybody can give that isn't purely subjective and dependant upon that particular person, would be to tell you to go out and try several bikes at your local shops in your price range. Find one that fits, maybe one that has been discounted, see which rides the nicest, and one that you just generally like. For such little money it is challenging to compare different models, as they generally all come with a very similar parts specification for that much, but fit and feel can be worlds apart when it comes to different makes/models, and that's an aspect a touch hard to quantify.

However, if you can find a couple models you like feel free to ask about them here, because that is when those more technical people (like myself) can give you the nitty gritty about the differences and objectively say which is the better bike.

In other news I've just done another blog post about that most hated of all people: the commuter! Have a read of An Open Letter To The Commuter, that is if you should so feel like it... And please feel free to leave me advice, suggestions, or a good solid critique! There is also a new video up on my new YouTube channel (I've remounted the camera to give a better view of the scenery - thanks to your guys' advice!). If there is something this way inclined any of you can think of for me to do at the moment, please suggest it as I've just lost my job and am looking for something to do, and right now content production is about the only thing I've got to beat the unhappy feels away with (well, that and shooting dudes in the face in Far Cry 3).
Old 13th Dec 2012, 17:20   #2970
lm_wfc
Supermodder

lm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysislm_wfc can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMerc View Post
I figured this would be the thread to come to for bicycle questions, so here goes!

I mainly ride on roads but occasionally venture out onto dirt tracks, so a pure road bike wouldn't be viable. I've had a mountain bike and they're all well and good but they're knackering over long distances on roads, so I'm looking at hybrid bikes. My budget is around 300, but I'll stretch it if it's worth it.

Are there any that you knowledgeable folk would recommend?

Feel free to try and change my mind on what type of bike to get too, it's not set in stone.

I can imagine this question has been asked before, but looking through 149 pages of posts isn't exactly what I'd like.

I already know to avoid Halfords like the plague after an Apollo bike packed up on me.

Halfords sell boardmans which are pretty good - however the boardman hybrid is essentially a flat bar road bike with disc brakes.

How much road/dirt is it % wise? Tyres would be the main factor.

Would you buy 2nd hand off ebay?
Old 13th Dec 2012, 17:24   #2971
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Bit pissed off right now. Sitting on a staircase in my uni su, waiting for security to return to their station so I can tell them my bike was stolen.
Uni Box:i5 2500K@5GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 240|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz(in blue)|EVGA GTX670SC 4GB+EK FC670|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Denon 5000|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 17:56   #2972
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Bad luck Tang, been there!
Old 13th Dec 2012, 19:17   #2973
Otis1337
aka - Reaper

Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.Otis1337 is definitely a rep cheat.
yep, has a 2000 DH bike nicked mate. Got it replaced by one that was twice as good tho lol..
But now on a roadie
Old 13th Dec 2012, 19:28   #2974
EvilMerc
Dew Addict

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
Best advice anybody can give that isn't purely subjective and dependant upon that particular person, would be to tell you to go out and try several bikes at your local shops in your price range. Find one that fits, maybe one that has been discounted, see which rides the nicest, and one that you just generally like. For such little money it is challenging to compare different models, as they generally all come with a very similar parts specification for that much, but fit and feel can be worlds apart when it comes to different makes/models, and that's an aspect a touch hard to quantify.

However, if you can find a couple models you like feel free to ask about them here, because that is when those more technical people (like myself) can give you the nitty gritty about the differences and objectively say which is the better bike.
I'll have a look around tomorrow hopefully, thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm_wfc View Post
Halfords sell boardmans which are pretty good - however the boardman hybrid is essentially a flat bar road bike with disc brakes.

How much road/dirt is it % wise? Tyres would be the main factor.

Would you buy 2nd hand off ebay?
It would be mostly road work, but the route from where I live into Bristol for example is 50% dirt, not too rough or steep but well beyond a road bike.
Phenom II X4 940 w/ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM @ 1066MHz | Asus GTX 460 1GB (900/1800/2100) | 1.8TB of HDDs | Antec 900 | Corsair TX750W | Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Steam
I motovlog
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 19:33   #2975
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis1337 View Post
yep, has a 2000 DH bike nicked mate. Got it replaced by one that was twice as good tho lol..
But now on a roadie
Sadly my insurance only covered accidental damage, not theft.
Uni Box:i5 2500K@5GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 240|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz(in blue)|EVGA GTX670SC 4GB+EK FC670|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Denon 5000|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 09:13   #2976
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
If there is something this way inclined any of you can think of for me to do at the moment, please suggest it as I've just lost my job and am looking for something to do, and right now content production is about the only thing I've got to beat the unhappy feels away with (well, that and shooting dudes in the face in Far Cry 3).
Ouch Malvolio I'm sorry to hear about your job. I always got the impressions you were quite integral to the operation of the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Bad luck Tang, been there!

+1 Sorry to hear of the theft Tang. Here's hoping it turns up again.
Old 14th Dec 2012, 10:40   #2977
woof82
Mod Master

woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.woof82 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
If there is something this way inclined any of you can think of for me to do at the moment, please suggest it as I've just lost my job and am looking for something to do, and right now content production is about the only thing I've got to beat the unhappy feels away with (well, that and shooting dudes in the face in Far Cry 3).
ouch, really sorry to hear that. You've been so helpful to myself and everyone else here who has asked bike related questions - thank you so much and best of luck finding something.
Old 14th Dec 2012, 11:30   #2978
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:

Nasty, What about some sort of maintenance workshop video or the like? They're pretty well covered but its something to do. Either that or could you try advertising one to one tuition? Folk get their bike fixed and learn something new for next time.
Old 14th Dec 2012, 13:50   #2979
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Have you considered offering a cycle guide service to tourists?
Old 14th Dec 2012, 15:39   #2980
Malvolio

Quote:
Ouch Malvolio I'm sorry to hear about your job. I always got the impressions you were quite integral to the operation of the place.
I was initially hired to build the repair side of the business up into something worthwhile, and I did exactly that with the owners proclaiming from on high how much money I was making them. We were becoming known as the shop for people in the city to bring bikes that nobody else would or could work on, and I would repair them fast and well. But it seems like the owners are now shifting goals and making the store more of a "boutique" retail space, rather than a bike shop, and the owners are now saying that they're broke and wont make it through the winter because of how much I cost (which is different to what was said less than a month ago, that they had oodles of monies - more than they planned for). Doesn't matter though, and this is all here-say and rumour. Had an interview yesterday at another shop, so I'll know if I have a job Monday.

The one saving grace is that my skills are in great demand in this city, and I now have a good reputation, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get another job, it's just that this is the absolutely worst season to be looking. Two months from now? Not a problem! But December kinda sucks. Thanks for the kind words though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof82 View Post
ouch, really sorry to hear that. You've been so helpful to myself and everyone else here who has asked bike related questions - thank you so much and best of luck finding something.
Thank you. More people riding is always a more better thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Nasty, What about some sort of maintenance workshop video or the like? They're pretty well covered but its something to do. Either that or could you try advertising one to one tuition? Folk get their bike fixed and learn something new for next time.
I have been batting around doing this actually, but the problem I have now is that my apartment is extremely tiny (any photos you see taken inside it are in areas where I've had to spend an hour and dismantle my living room), plus I need some bright lights. But this could be something I look into as the way I want to do it hasn't been done yet in the industry, but I don't know if it'll be better than what's out there. First-person wrenching lessons? I think it's a good idea.

Quote:
Have you considered offering a cycle guide service to tourists?
I've actually participated in a couple services like this here in town, guiding people and ending up at a restaurant, but they never prove popular in this city for some reason. Plus it's winter

It has been strong on my mind now to try and find a way to produce content in such a way as to monetise it in order to procure a living for myself, and I do have a few ideas of ways I could do it, but I have my doubts it would ever be all that successful given the fact that I know of precisely zero people that are currently doing this. Unless you look at a dedicated news outlet there aren't many people in this industry that live entirely off content production. We'll see what happens though.

Thanks for the feels everybody. It is nice to hear.

Tags
advice, bicycles, bikes, education, extreme!!!!, fitness, gnar, leisure, love thy stinky, mtb, mud, real men wear lyrca, roady, say no to skimlinks

View Mode