bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 14th Dec 2012, 01:46   #21
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The reason why there isn't a 13inch Retina display option, is because the Intel GPU can't handle the high resolution. I've seen it at work and played for several hours (friend has it). If you force the Intel GPU, the experience is very choppy. You need a dedicated GPU with enough power.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 01:49   #22
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesingerz View Post
I'll take the mac book pro into consideration, I rememberd that you can use an educational discount on it, you think I could apply for it in the usa? My collage isn't in the usa. I have no idea how they check these things..

Also what about gaming and other windows based progams, how would they work? Parrallels is one option right? Does it work well?
You can use a virtual machine like Parallels for your Windows apps, it's not great, but it's something. Its like using a virtual machine now.. same things. Parallels is 80$ software (they are no free solution like Parallels). And you need to dual boot with Windows 7 for games or if you want greater performance in your apps that you ran under Parallels on MacOS.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 14th Dec 2012, 07:23   #23
mm vr
The cheesecake is a lie

mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk View Post
Are there issues with the latest drivers?
http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/d...otcamp-drivers
You can't use the latest drivers with old hardware models, and the latest model will be an old model in a couple years.

Quote:
You can use any SSD you like tbh. Some work with a trim software hack.
Those hacks are always required with Apple products... With Windows, everything just works!

Quote:
Other's garbage collection routines are enough.
If you've just bought an SSD, you'll surely want to use it to its fullest.
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz || Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme || Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H || 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600MHz CL10 || Radeon 4870 512MB || AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro || Asus Xonar DX || Samsung 830 128GB || 2x WD Blue 640GB || Corsair HX620 || Antec P182 || Samsung SM 2232 + 2233 || Windows Server 2012
mm vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 11:43   #24
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm vr View Post
You can't use the latest drivers with old hardware models, and the latest model will be an old model in a couple years.
Same with any computer, to be fair.

Quote:
Those hacks are always required with Apple products... With Windows, everything just works!
I agree, Windows is amazing in that it does simply install on pretty much anything, there's not a lot it'll grumble about. But the Apple hacks aren't required either. The ssd I installed in my mbp works fine without tinkering.

Quote:
If you've just bought an SSD, you'll surely want to use it to its fullest.
As long as it supports trim
Old 14th Dec 2012, 12:08   #25
mm vr
The cheesecake is a lie

mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mm vr - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Same with any computer, to be fair.
But in most cases the drivers work properly already at launch.

Quote:
I agree, Windows is amazing in that it does simply install on pretty much anything, there's not a lot it'll grumble about. But the Apple hacks aren't required either. The ssd I installed in my mbp works fine without tinkering.
It works, but it won't TRIM in OS X.
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz || Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme || Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H || 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600MHz CL10 || Radeon 4870 512MB || AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro || Asus Xonar DX || Samsung 830 128GB || 2x WD Blue 640GB || Corsair HX620 || Antec P182 || Samsung SM 2232 + 2233 || Windows Server 2012
Old 14th Dec 2012, 15:18   #26
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
The reason why there isn't a 13inch Retina display option, is because the Intel GPU can't handle the high resolution. I've seen it at work and played for several hours (friend has it). If you force the Intel GPU, the experience is very choppy. You need a dedicated GPU with enough power.
Check again please.

I find it pretty dissapointing, that there is so much mis-information in here regarding Apple products and I suspect that it is caused by nothing but bias towards one platform or the other.
Old 14th Dec 2012, 15:45   #27
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheiken View Post
Check again please.

I find it pretty dissapointing, that there is so much mis-information in here regarding Apple products and I suspect that it is caused by nothing but bias towards one platform or the other.
miss-information, or denial? I vote for denial by buyer remorse. This is a known issues, reviewers also confirm it. You want retina display, get the 15inch MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU for a perfectly smooth experience.

Old 14th Dec 2012, 15:59   #28
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
It works, but it won't TRIM in OS X.
In a few cases I suppose, which is why I picked one with its own garbage collection. It's no biggie though, once I feel performance drop off, I can fairly easily enable trim, run it, then disable it again until the next time I need to run it a few months down the line. Et voila, nice clean blocks again. It's a bit of a kludge, i.e. it doesn't run natively, but can be done without too much effort.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 07:56   #29
mm vr
The cheesecake is a lie

Quote:
In a few cases I suppose, which is why I picked one with its own garbage collection. It's no biggie though, once I feel performance drop off, I can fairly easily enable trim, run it, then disable it again until the next time I need to run it a few months down the line. Et voila, nice clean blocks again. It's a bit of a kludge, i.e. it doesn't run natively, but can be done without too much effort.
All this hassle just because the manufacturer has put effort into disabling TRIM on 3rd party disks... How can you put up with this? If any other company was doing it, nobody would buy their computers.