bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 16th Dec 2012, 10:48   #1
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Learning Web Advice please

Hi,

I will be doing php next semester in University, however currently I cannot build a website (They taught me dreamweaver last year and not web I was not impressed)

During the break I am on I have time to study, so would it be best to study up on HTLM, CSS, Javascript etc or should i go straight into php?

Kind Regards,

DT.
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2012, 11:48   #2
Puk
(A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.Puk is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd spend some time with HTML, it's where it all starts. It really is a very quick language to pickup, and tbh quite enjoyable. Run a small webserver on you pc so you can make a small interactive site and just get stuck in with notepad as your editor.

It won't take you long to pick up the basics, then have a play with some css to understand how to form some style, then maybe a bit of js.

That's the route I learnt php, not that I use it much now, but I do still use the HTML and CSS.

www.pukit.com
Puk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2012, 11:55   #3
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Learn HTML basics (so you will know what to expect), learn the limitations of the stateless HTTP protocol, what are the headers and cookies; then learn PHP. In meantime, you will slowly pick up the basics of CSS and Javascript, as you will search for specific visual design solutions.
Old 16th Dec 2012, 11:56   #4
lp rob1
PAM says no...

lp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
PHP is a server-side scripting language to output HTML, so you will need to learn HTML first. w3schools can take you through the basics, and I find it to be a very good reference for HTML. Once you have got the hang of HTML you probably want to go towards CSS - styles for your website. w3schools is also a good place for that. Just remember that the structure of your website is created in HTML, while the look is created in CSS. Try not to mix the two together as much as possible.

Once you have a good feel for these languages you can go down one of two paths first - server-side scripting or client-side scripting. For server-side you have already expressed an interest in PHP - that would be an ideal route to go down. For client-side you could try JavaScript. It is probably best to do server-side scripting first, because a website should not really depend on JavaScript to make it work, and should instead use JavaScript to provide fancy effects or ease of use. w3schools has good tutorials on both of these, but you may want to invest in a book of some kind since they are both more complex languages.

Of course, once you have mastered both of those languages you can look into combining the two in AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML). This isn't really a language as such but rather a programming paradigm, where the browser uses JavaScript to pull information down from a server without reloading the page. An example of this is Google Autocomplete - each keypress sends a message to the Google servers to retrieve common search phrases matching what you typed in - the whole page doesn't refresh when you do this, but it still pulls down information.
Old 16th Dec 2012, 15:40   #5
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thanks guys, so its HTML, CSS, PHP then Javascript

+ rep to all
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 11:11   #6
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
For a good base I would start with HTML and CSS. This should keep you going for a few weeks.

Don't worry about PHP until your lectures start. Follow their course material and you shouldn't ahve much problems. Though when i went through Uni knowing HTML and CSS was almost a pre-requisite to PHP.

I would recommend downloading LAMPP or XAMPP for testing, as these are great for development on a localhost.

Javascript, leave this until you have time to play with it. While it shares a lot of syntacs as PHP it will only confuse you at this point.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 18:53   #7
Dae314
Hypermodder

Dae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for presidentDae314 should be considered for president
I was about to recommend you do javascript before PHP, but thinking about it more, you really don't need to. When you learn javascript, one of the things you should learn as well is jQuery since it's a fairly widely used library that can come in handy for you later.

When you're learning CSS, and you want to try out something that is pretty fun, look up SASS, configure it, and give it a try. It's a rather cool CSS front end that adds a lot of features to the otherwise bare language.
Old 20th Dec 2012, 23:17   #8
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
For a good base I would start with HTML and CSS. This should keep you going for a few weeks.

Don't worry about PHP until your lectures start. Follow their course material and you shouldn't ahve much problems. Though when i went through Uni knowing HTML and CSS was almost a pre-requisite to PHP.

I would recommend downloading LAMPP or XAMPP for testing, as these are great for development on a localhost.

Javascript, leave this until you have time to play with it. While it shares a lot of syntacs as PHP it will only confuse you at this point.
I'd echo this. Essentially I lazily try use JavaScript for things that I should really use php due to the order I learnt in. Although a complete novice with both really... Just enough to get by theme-ing/maintaining Drupal sites.

You'll pick up HTML and CSS very fast... It's v.simple. even things like CSS menus are super simple and that is when query becomes fun.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2012, 14:35   #9
happysack
goodateverthinger

happysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysis
As above HTML first, CSS then look at PHP.
W3schools for me years ago provided good learning.

http://www.w3schools.com/
Old 27th Dec 2012, 21:19   #10
Booga
Cuppa tea anyone?

Booga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for presidentBooga should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysack View Post
As above HTML first, CSS then look at PHP.
W3schools for me years ago provided good learning.

http://www.w3schools.com/
This.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 13:10   #11
Victoria
Banned

Victoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
First learn Client side programming (html,css and javascript) before learning Server side progamming(php).
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 09:32   #12
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
three links to w3schools and no one going "w3fools" yet? I am enjoying this.

Without HTML, PHP is rather limited in use.
Without CSS, HTML is crap...
HTML->CSS->PHP->JavaScript, as iterated over a million times before.