bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Custom PC > Magazine Discussion

Old 13th Dec 2012, 11:49   #1
Andre_B
Supermodder

Andre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Custom PC on Google Play Magazines

Hi

Are there any plans to make Custom PC available on Google Play?

I see that PC Pro is already on there.

Thanks

Andre
Andre_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2012, 12:02   #2
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Would also be interested in knowing this.

The other magazines I read (PCG/PC Pro/Retro Gamer) have launched on there so if Custom PC is in the pipeline it would mean I can dispose of paper subscriptions for good!
Old 14th Dec 2012, 17:24   #3
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Just to say that, yes, there is definitely a plan to make Custom PC available on Google Play. Some Dennis mags are already available (as you may have seen), but Custom PC has also been submitted - we're basically waiting for Google to put the rest of the titles in the store.
Old 15th Dec 2012, 15:10   #4
Andre_B
Supermodder

Andre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndre_B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brilliant!

Thank you.

Andre
Andre_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 10:18   #5
tyepye
Hypermodder

tyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youtyepye - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Fantastic news, now all I need is the tablet to make this happen
Old 17th Dec 2012, 10:28   #6
Social_Pariah
What's a Dremel?

Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Social_Pariah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This might actually get me reading the magazine again for the first time in nearly 4 years. The government just need to relax the VAT rules for online publications a bit now.
Social_Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 14:45   #7
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstoat View Post
Just to say that, yes, there is definitely a plan to make Custom PC available on Google Play. Some Dennis mags are already available (as you may have seen), but Custom PC has also been submitted - we're basically waiting for Google to put the rest of the titles in the store.
Oh sweet. Ok, as a physical subscriber, does that mean I'll get free access to the Google play edition?

Makes sense.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2012, 18:27   #8
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Physical subscribers wont get instant access to the digital edition of the magazine on Google Play.

There are a bunch of extra costs associated with digital editions which mean it simply isn't possible to just bolt digital access on for free.

This has been the case for a while of course, Custom has been available on Zinio for a couple of years now, so the fact it's now available in a different digital form wont change anything.

You can upgrade your physical sub to a bundle sub (or swap it over to a pure digital sub) if you want - the guys at subs info will be able to help.

bit-tech on Facebook - Custom PC on Facebook - bit-tech on Twitter

Steam ID: votelarry - BFBC2 ID: M4terial - Feel free to add me
Material is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 19:31   #9
civicteer
Minimodder

civicteer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
is it out yet? I can't find it! I'm looking at doing some upgrading so always buy a few issues to read up on
civicteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 18:35   #10
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Material is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMaterial is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Nope, not there yet. Think it will be the new year now.

Old 8th Feb 2013, 23:14   #11
Cactushead
What's a Dremel?

Cactushead has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still not in the play store, any updates on when this will be available?
Cactushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 23:37   #12
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Unfortunately, no.

We're waiting on Google to add Custom, and a bunch of our other magazines, to its store still. The files are with them, they've just not done anything with them.

From what I've heard, they may well be waiting to see how well the titles they have added do (and, indeed, how well the magazine store as a whole does), before adding more titles, which takes an investment in time and manpower on their part.

Unfortunately there is little we can do at this point other than wait...

Old 17th Feb 2013, 11:09   #13
AverageNinja
Almost an EpicNinja

AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.
I would be quite interested in that too!
AverageNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2013, 11:15   #14
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Is zinio not on android?
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2013, 14:46   #15
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96 View Post
Is zinio not on android?
Yep, it is - and you can download the magazine via the Zinio app on Android devices if you want - it's just not up on the Google Play magazine store yet.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 13:21   #16
Cactushead
What's a Dremel?

Cactushead has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Both my Dennis Publishing print subscriptions are available on Zinio which I do use for other publications I subscribe to.
However unlike my other subscriptions, Dennis Publications' are significantly higher cost than their print versions - up to 30% higher! which is ridiculous. Digital versions should be, at worst, the same price but really they should be cheaper.

The Google Play version of one of my Dennis Publication subscriptions are actually marginally cheaper which is good news - if only Custom PC was available at that same same price on Google Play I could go fully digital

I'd actually prefer it if the Zinio price was just acceptable in comparison to the print price..
Cactushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2013, 22:05   #17
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
PC Pro is a heck of a lot cheaper on Google play than it is as a physical magazine, roughly 50%. Would be great if CPC ends up around that price when it finally arrives, though I won't get my hopes up too much. I stopped my Zinio subscription, when Google started doing magazines - their app made me realise how slow and irritating to use Zinio is!
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2013, 22:20   #18
Material
Soco Amaretto Lime
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactushead View Post
unlike my other subscriptions, Dennis Publications' are significantly higher cost than their print versions - up to 30% higher! which is ridiculous. Digital versions should be, at worst, the same price but really they should be cheaper.
Where are you getting these prices from? They could be incorrect, or it could be that you're looking at 6 month print prices but 12 month digital prices.

Our digital versions are (as far as i'm aware) always cheaper than our print versions. I took the prices below (which are for 12 month subscriptions) from https://dennis.subscribeonline.co.uk/home

There can be some variation across various channels (iTunes, Google Play, Zinio direct), but it shouldn't be more than a couple of quid.

Last edited by Material; 7th Apr 2013 at 22:27.
Old 8th Apr 2013, 07:58   #19
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material View Post
There can be some variation across various channels (iTunes, Google Play, Zinio direct), but it shouldn't be more than a couple of quid.
Sadly, Zinio is quite a bit more expensive than than: a 12-issue subscription costs 42.00, or a single issue 4.20 - plus VAT. That makes a 12-issue subscription 50.40 - compared with 40 for a print subscription.

EDIT: Oh, no it doesn't: the 42.00/4.20 price includes VAT. Zinio must have bowed to pressure and started showing the inclusive price instead of the exclusive price, 'cos I remember getting bitten by that in the past. So, a 12-month Zinio subscription is 42 compared to 40 for a print subscription, or the quoted 34 for a Dennis-direct digital subscription. Not nearly as bad, then!
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2013, 19:53   #20
nerdbloke
What's a Dremel?

nerdbloke has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like May 2013 (issue 116) is now available in Play store magazines.
nerdbloke is offline   Reply With Quote