bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 17th Dec 2012, 12:03   #1
Mongwopman
King Ding-a-ling!

Mongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for presidentMongwopman should be considered for president
Question regarding LED strips

So I bought 30cm 18 SMD LED Flexible Strip Light 12v.

However, i thought I could simply wire them into the 12v molex from my PC, turns out I cant do that but rather need a LED "driver" would it be easy to wire one up to a PC via a molex plug?

Anybody have any experiance with these?

Would this driver be right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240V-12V-L...item2564ff7f11
Mongwopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 12:43   #2
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
a molex yellow wire is 12V and a black is ground, in 99% of cases its simply a case of soldering the yellow wire to your LED strip positive connector, and the black to the negative. That transformer is for if you wanted to run your LED strip from the mains (hence its stepping down from 240v to 12v in the same way as a DC adapter would.

what ive just said is based on the assumption that your LED strip takes 12v DC as its power input, which most strips do. check your strip to be sure before connecting any wires up

if its actually 12v dc, connect it up and you should be good to go
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2012, 16:10   #3
Lostconfession
Multimodder

Lostconfession has yet to learn the way of the DremelLostconfession has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongwopman View Post
So I bought 30cm 18 SMD LED Flexible Strip Light 12v.

However, i thought I could simply wire them into the 12v molex from my PC, turns out I cant do that but rather need a LED "driver" would it be easy to wire one up to a PC via a molex plug?

Anybody have any experiance with these?

Would this driver be right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240V-12V-L...item2564ff7f11
Big C is right you can wire straight to the yellow and black line of the molex. You can wire more then one together with no voltage, current drop.
Lostconfession is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode