bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 16th Dec 2012, 05:23   #1
TeenGeek
Would you like a fishie stick?

TeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run Crysis
Something More Annoying Than a Real Problem

Hello there, I have been having an issue with my computer lately. When I am watching fullscreen videos, or playing games, and listening to music (with fullscreen visualizer) my taskber comes into view. This would not be a big issue, except for that when I am playing a game, the window closes, and goes to my desktop. Its almost like I am hitting the windows button, except for that it happens when my hands are not even near the keyboard, and the start button does not activate. (windows 7, all other pertinent information should be in my sig.)
Fractal Design DEFINE R4, 3 Noctua NF-14, Intel Core i7 3770k, Phanteks PH-TC14-PE, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, 2 Nvidia GTX 670, Asus Xonar D1, Seasonic X-Series 1K, 2x8GB gskill 2133mhz, 3TB barracuda, 256 OCZ Vertex 4
TeenGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2012, 14:06   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What video player are you using?
Does it also occur with your YouTube videos?
What codec pack you installed (if any)?

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2012, 21:18   #3
TeenGeek

TeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run CrysisTeenGeek can run Crysis
I use XBMC, and VLC (happens on both) it happens on youtube, netflix, and all games I have. As far as I know, I haven't installed any codec packs, I just installed the programs, and let them be.
Fractal Design DEFINE R4, 3 Noctua NF-14, Intel Core i7 3770k, Phanteks PH-TC14-PE, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, 2 Nvidia GTX 670, Asus Xonar D1, Seasonic X-Series 1K, 2x8GB gskill 2133mhz, 3TB barracuda, 256 OCZ Vertex 4
Old 17th Dec 2012, 05:50   #4
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
- Did you install or have installed DivX or Nero? If so, remove them.
- Did you add a new tool bar or something to the task bar in Windows?
- Did you use any point in time any Windows tweak tool?
- Did you change the font size or type in Windows? or DPI settings?
Last question, does it occur in Windows Media Player 12?

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 17th Dec 2012, 07:17   #5
TeenGeek

No DivX and no Nero. No new toolbars that I know of, I have all of my most used programs in the taskbar, they are as follows: Windows Explorer, Chrome, Steam, VLC, XBMC, Zune, TI-89 Emulator, Xonar DX Audio Center, Excel, OneNote, Word, Eclipse IDE, Autodesk 3DS MAX, Autodesk Maya, Indigo Renderer, Prime-95, Furmark, Google Earth, MSI Kombuster, MSI Afterburner, and the last one is Battlefield 3. I have never used the Windows tweak tool, that I remember. I have never changed font size/ type, although I have changed monitors a couple of times, if that makes any difference. I don't know if it happens in media player, as I don't use it.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 13:33   #6
GoodBytes

Hmm very strange. Everything looks perfect to me. :/
Sadly I am out of ideas.

All I know, is that Windows 7 have a bug, where if you increase the DPI setting, with "use Windows XP style scaling" off (default is: enabled), that you can have that issue.

You can see if the option is unchecked simply by doing:
-> Right-click on your desktop, and select Screen resolution
-> Click on the blue link: Make text and other items larger or smaller
-> Click on Customize sizing option
-> A small panel will show, on it, you'll see Use Windows XP style scaling, check the box if it isn't, and you need to restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, than sadly I am out of ideas.

Last edited by GoodBytes; 17th Dec 2012 at 13:42.
Old 17th Dec 2012, 23:45   #7
TeenGeek

Very intriguing... I checked that, and the box is checked. I am completely stumped as well, thanks for the ideas though!
Old 18th Dec 2012, 02:37   #8
GoodBytes

Just curiosity, in the case I stumble on a solution or think of something in the days to come:
- When you have a full screen video, what happens if you click on an empty spot on the task bar, and then back on your full screen video? Does the task bar disappear now?

Old 18th Dec 2012, 06:32   #9
spolsh
Multimodder

spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.
Do you have the PC connected to more than one monitor ? If someone switches on the TV (connected by HDMI), mine does this if i'm already playing a game when it detects the now active display.

Also, could it be that you're activating a "sticky keys" function accidentally ?
spolsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2012, 12:57   #10
Victoria
Banned

Victoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Update your graphics driver. And try by changing graphics settings from it. Update your Windows.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2012, 22:04   #11
TeenGeek

@goodbytes, the taskbar will appear for about 30 seconds of so, then disappear, and if I click on it, then back to screen nothing happens, however, if I press esc. when I am watching youtube/ VLC, or alt+tab on XBMC then go back to the video, the taskbar disappears.

@spolsh, my PC os only connected to one monitor at the the moment, and so far in its life, it has only been connected to one at a time.

@Victoria, I updated my graphics driver about a week ago, but I'll try that, thanks, and windows should be fully up to date, as I check that fairly regularly.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 19:06   #12
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I have two monitors, and if I play something full screen on the main monitor, and then click on something on the other monitor then the same thing happens to me, although clicking on the fullscreen vid again will hide it.
By the sound of it you're not clicking off the video though, so maybe some badly behaved program is trying to steal focus? Is there any programs you typically have running whilst you're playing videos? Especially ones you've just recently started using or recently updated.

Last edited by phuzz; 19th Dec 2012 at 19:07. Reason: bah, grocers apostrophe
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 07:40   #13
TeenGeek

No, not really, usually I just have chrome running, or just XBMC, etc.
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 16:05   #14
siliconfanatic
Rep whore/thread killer

siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.
Maybe a hypersensitive mouse sensor? I occasionally have trouble with that. And my gramps other mouse kind of clicks by itself. And the scroll-wheel is all out of whack. Doesn't bother him so he hasn't fixed or replaced it yet. Drives me insane but that's the only computer that isn't a bulky laptop or out in the open so that's the only option when you really need privacy. Even then sometimes clearing the history(even for online banking ) is hard when its on a fit. So maybe your problem lies there. Try switching mouses if you can. That's what Ive started doing. I just carry a mouse, keyboard+ headphones everywhere.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2012, 22:26   #15
TeenGeek

hmm, that's a good idea, I have been considering getting a new mouse anyway, although the one I have right now is decent, it is 6400DPI, though (I use it at full sensitivity normally)
Old 29th Dec 2012, 18:16   #16
spolsh
Multimodder

spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.spolsh is definitely a rep cheat.
Did a different mouse sort this out for you then ?
spolsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 16:29   #17
Restayvien
aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

Restayvien has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Try putting on a film and then unplug your keyboard/other peripherals to see if it still happens.
It could be a twitchy wire/key/button somewhere. You could try updating perhipheral drivers too.
Restayvien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 06:10   #18
TeenGeek

Sorry I haven't been replying lately, I have been away from the computer. I got the Razer Tiamat 8200DPI mouse, and that did not sort out my issues.
@Restayvien, I will have to try that, thanks! I might be getting my hands on another keyboard soon, so if unplugging the keyboard/mouse fixes it, i'll have to get another keyboard... Guess I'll have a spare mechanical keyboard then