bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 14th Dec 2012, 14:04   #1
PortalBen
Multimodder

PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.
Help! Laptop fans playing up/laptop overheating

Hi. I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G that was bought at the end of June and worked perfectly up until about six weeks ago. The fans never spin at a high speed anymore, even when the laptop is very warm, and over the last fortnight the laptop has had five or six BSODs.

Is there any way to get the fans spinning at the right speed again? I'm pretty desperate to fix this so that I can comfortably play games again, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ben
PortalBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 14:14   #2
aramil
Keeping it Kerbal.....

aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.
Where do you use it? In bed or on your sofa arm? Or on a desk? Might just be bunged up with fluff and dust.

I have seen laptops etc with clogged fans.

If not could just be a faulty fan. Is it under warranty?

You could try speedfan (software) to see what the fans are running at.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2
System: Intel i5 3570K delidded CLU @ 4.6Ghz | Asus Stabertooth Z77 (2003) | Asus GTX560-TI Direct cuII | OCZ Agility 3 120Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 500Gb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 8Gb (2x4) Corsair Vengence | Corsair K90 Keyboard | XSPC-Raystorm-750-RS2400 (2 X Akasa viper) | Casecom 5288 | Samsung LS24B300HL / LE46C750 | Windows 8.1 (update1) Pro 64bit | Audio: Linn Classik & Keilidh Speakers
aramil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 17:39   #3
Pod
What's a Dremel?

Pod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it's under warranty have it looked at, and if not it's time to break out the little screwdriver and take a peek inside.

Do you know what the bsods have been referring to? This might help pinpoint whether it's a cooling problem or something else.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2012, 18:27   #4
PortalBen
Multimodder

PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah it's been put on the bed a lot recently, that's probably why. Is there an effective way to unclog the fan without dismantling the laptop? It's still in warranty.

Thanks for the help!
Old 14th Dec 2012, 19:42   #5
adampski
What's a Dremel?

adampski has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All depends on the structure of the case; as to where the heat sink is. If you really aren't comfortable on taking off the bottom parts of the case then you could get a canister of compressed air, blow it into the vents but obviously the dust will go else where in the laptop.

... I was just trying to find videos or guides on how-to disassemble your laptop, however there doesn't seem to be one of your particular model. It really is simple, but won't recommend you do it because most warranties void if disassemble yourself. Just give it in for warranty repair, probably time consuming but if we're wrong with dust build up then atleast they'll fix it = hassle free on your side.

I wouldn't put it on your bed any more though, unless you get a laptop stand/tray to put it on whilst on the duvet. Preferably one with fans.
adampski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2012, 10:05   #6
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
One quick thing to add though, not all laptops are warranty sealed (with security stickers, for example), so it is often possible to remove part or all of the back panel to clean any fluff or dust out without voiding anything. Just make sure you use the right sized screwdriver so you don't butcher the screws.

That said if you're not confident doing this and can live without it for some time then just get it warranty repaired. Make sure you back up first

Shirty: "I broke your keyboard, sorry."
JaccoW: "I knew this was a risk when I sent it your way."
Shirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2012, 19:33   #7
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
If it was blocked with dust ud likely find that the fans would rev up more..

However if you are sure its overheating you really need to take it to bits.
Old 15th Dec 2012, 21:33   #8
PortalBen
Multimodder

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! I'll check whether what I need to do will void the warranty and if not then I'll dismantle it when I have access to my tools again on Monday. Hopefully just a dust issue!

Thanks again
Old 17th Dec 2012, 22:33   #9
PortalBen
Multimodder

Well I took it apart today to clean it, it was easy enough but I couldn't see much (if any) dust. I've put it all back together but the fan still isn't spinning up properly when the laptop is getting hot. As such my fps in L4D (not a hard game to run) is terrible and nowhere near as high as it used to be. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 17th Dec 2012, 22:44   #10
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
If you install a measuring app like Speedfan, what kind of temperatures etc. are you seeing?
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2012, 14:29   #11
Sutters
Silent lurker!

Sutters has yet to learn the way of the DremelSutters has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalBen View Post
Well I took it apart today to clean it, it was easy enough but I couldn't see much (if any) dust. I've put it all back together but the fan still isn't spinning up properly when the laptop is getting hot. As such my fps in L4D (not a hard game to run) is terrible and nowhere near as high as it used to be. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Sounds like it could be a GPU issue.
I would try to ascertain the temparature of the graphics card when idle and gaming.

It could be perhaps throttling it due to a high temp...
Sutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2012, 14:53   #12
rici1241
Hypermodder

rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.
What CPU and GPU have you. Speedfan gives me idle temps of 40 for both the CPU and GPU. I can test load temperature if you want, so we can compare.

Last edited by rici1241; 19th Dec 2012 at 05:41.
rici1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2012, 00:47   #13
PortalBen
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutters View Post
Sounds like it could be a GPU issue.
I would try to ascertain the temparature of the graphics card when idle and gaming.

It could be perhaps throttling it due to a high temp...
My GPU had an average temperature of around 90 in game, while my CPU averaged a bit above 60 (as measured by speedfan). At idle my CPU is ~ 37 and my GPU is ~60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rici1241 View Post
What CPU and GPU have you. Speedfan gives me idle temps of 40 for both the CPU and GPU. I can test load temperature is you want, so we can compare.
Hi, my CPU is the i5 2310M and my GPU is the GT 630M.

Thank you all for your time in replying to this post, it's much appreciated

Ben

Last edited by PortalBen; 19th Dec 2012 at 01:24. Reason: Added idle temps
Old 19th Dec 2012, 05:47   #14
rici1241
Hypermodder

rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.rici1241 is definitely a rep cheat.
60 degrees is way too high for idle. It really sounds like a faulty fan. The only other thing it could be is bad thermal compound on the GPU. I think you should RMA it, or maybe change the thermal compound your self.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 14:36   #15
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd RMA it.

If there's an underlying problem taking it apart and cleaning it could give the impression of helping without actually solving the problem.
Also, even if the warranty isn't voided by opening it up, mass produced laptops can be awkward to service and damaging it levering sticky access panel off or something probably would.

If it's still under warranty I'd take advantage of that.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2012, 15:20   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Is there a bios update available? If so, they may have considered fixing when/how long/how fast the fan comes on. It wouldn't be the first time.

It could be worth taking apart, it depends how accessible the heatsinks are as from the sounds of it, they could do with re-timming.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 17:08   #17
PortalBen
Multimodder

Hi again. This morning after light use for an hour the GPU was at about 50. Then from about 30 mins of Minecraft it was back at 90! I switched to just using my integrated graphics for Minecraft but it's still hovering between 60 and 70 degrees.

I'm not sure how to go about an RMA as I received this laptop through an insurance company after my last one was stolen. I'll try and find a BIOS update but I'm not too hopeful because when I first got the laptop it ran everything excellently.

Ben
Old 20th Dec 2012, 08:50   #18
Pointy
Minimodder

Pointy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did an older Acer laptop for a customer a while back, he was having slow downs during gaming, L4D2 would drop to 8fps on occasions.

The laptop itself looked clean but after a strip down, the inside of the heatsink was about 30% blocked, this was not apparent until you took the whole fan assembly apart. The fan itself didn't seem to be any louder than normal.

As a general rule laptops usually suck in air from the bottom and exhaust it out of the rear or side. If you can't feel a good draft coming out the exhaust while the fan is running then it is probably blocked.

If it's not too badly blocked, a can or air can blast out the dust if you spray it from the exhaust towards the fan. Be warned that sometimes you can dislodge a big ball of fluff that may even stop the fan from spinning.

Regards,

Les
Pointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2012, 09:07   #19
Andersen
Umpteen to the elfteeth

Andersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yup. Dug out a felt-like mat of gunk from missus' laptop couple months ago. Being a HP craptop it was, politely said, very difficult to take apart (read: disassemble completely) and gain access to heatsink.
Samsung SF510 | Acer Iconia A1-810 | Samsung Galaxy S III | Apple products are barred from my house | 100/50Mbps VDSL2
Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2012, 16:56   #20
PortalBen
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy View Post
I did an older Acer laptop for a customer a while back, he was having slow downs during gaming, L4D2 would drop to 8fps on occasions.

The laptop itself looked clean but after a strip down, the inside of the heatsink was about 30% blocked, this was not apparent until you took the whole fan assembly apart. The fan itself didn't seem to be any louder than normal.

As a general rule laptops usually suck in air from the bottom and exhaust it out of the rear or side. If you can't feel a good draft coming out the exhaust while the fan is running then it is probably blocked.

If it's not too badly blocked, a can or air can blast out the dust if you spray it from the exhaust towards the fan. Be warned that sometimes you can dislodge a big ball of fluff that may even stop the fan from spinning.

Regards,

Les
I suspect this is the case as there is much less of a draft than there used to be. I'll try and get a can of compressed air and give that a go because it seems to be a pain to fully take apart.
Thanks for the advice!

Ben

Tags
fan, notebook, overheating