bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 7th Dec 2012, 12:45   #21
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Instead of pressing ctrl-alt-del for your lock screen, just press:

WIN key + L

This has worked since XP afaik. It instantly locks instead of waiting for the lock screen.
Old 7th Dec 2012, 16:17   #22
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Day 5
Finally got to play a little.
Managed to make the taskbar half height…finally.
Doesn’t seem to be possible on the Ribbon-Bar though, it’s huge and uses huge Icons…
Found out where the file history is hiding, rightclick on the taskbar icons. Not bad. Silly me trying to not clutter up the taskbar
Doesn’t work with programmes on the desktop of course.
Shift-Tab instead of Alt-Tab is somehow not working, it just samples through the Menutabs in the current window.
Ah, found it, it’s Win-Tab, not Shift-Tab. ;-)
Minimizing something on the second screen and then maximizing it again sometimes leeds to it appearing on the wrong (first) screen. Odd.

WIN key + L Howcome this ist he first time I’ve heared about this one? Should be in a Thread of it’s own:
“Windows Shortcuts you’ve dearly missed (but were there all along)” Thx.

Excel 2010, when writing text in a cell, the previous text is blanked out…? Wtf? I need to ask someone about this as it’s absolutely infuriating. Probably a simple setting somewhere.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2012, 17:54   #23
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You can set the taskbar to look like xp if you want to. Go to where you set it half height, and on that menu screen somewhere it says combine when full in a dropdown box.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2012, 19:45   #24
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
In excel the text is still in the text box along the top usually - may not be visible in the cell though.

The ribbon in office doesn't use that large icons and when you get used to it it's a LOT easier to use than menu system in older versions. I can barely use Office XP now that I've used Office 2007,2010, and 2013.

What is the file history thing you're talking about?

depending where something maximises etc if you use "win + arrow left/arrow right" it'll move around screens and edges (things dock to left/right of screen) and "win + up arrow" to maximise, "Win + down arrow" to minimise
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2012, 20:20   #25
Zoon

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Regarding your Excel point - I thought it was always that way? F2 or double-clicking the cell will open a cell in 'edit' mode instead of overwrite.

Couple more useful things.

1. You can move fullscreen windows by clicking and dragging the title bar - no need to un-fullscreen it first.

2. Windows key and left or right arrow will snap an application to the left or right half of the screen its active in - very useful for two docs side by side.

3. Regarding the file history you found - not sure if you saw my last post on the previous page but you can 'Pin' frequently used files along with pinning the application itself.

My task bar at work has Firefox, IE, windows explorer, Excel, Word, Notepad++, SecureCRT, Paint.net, Notepad, Outlook, Lotus Notes and one or two more that don't spring to mind all pinned ready to use. I almost never use the start menu (this is one reason I am so ardently against Windows 8!).
Old 7th Dec 2012, 20:53   #26
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Zoon - pin them to the start screen instead? or just pin them to the start bar in explorer in 8.. just like you have done in 7.... there's *no* difference
Old 8th Dec 2012, 18:00   #27
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, in excel you could double click to edit cell-contents, but they would stay visible while doing it.
Yes, it's in the text top box, but that one is just too small in this case as there is a wall of text in the cell.
The window snap to side of screen is fantastic.
If i minimise a screen on my second screen and maximise it again it should stay on the second screen though, and not require constant realigning.

@ Zoon
sounds like your taskbar is full

Whish i could "pin" to desktop (yeah yeah i know) so the filehistory for that program would be visible on rightclick.It works this way on the taskbar.
I prefer the taskbar to show open programms, not programmbuttons. Thats what the startmenu and the desktop are for.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 8th Dec 2012, 20:56   #28
Buzzons
Mod Master

Xir if you open the app to screen 2, close the app (hit the x), and then reopen, it should then stay on screen 2... usually..
Old 10th Dec 2012, 08:30   #29
Zoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzons View Post
Zoon - pin them to the start screen instead? or just pin them to the start bar in explorer in 8.. just like you have done in 7.... there's *no* difference
Or I could just keep Windows 7 and use the Task Bar like I like using? There is difference - one is right there on the task bar ready for a single click or right click, the other is away on a UI meant for Tablets. I never need the start menu, so why pay money to have the inconvenience of changing how I work daily? When eventually we are forced to upgrade at work - and we will be - I will be installing ClassicStart or something similar, and enabling the 'straight to desktop' mode. This is for another thread though - where I've already stated my opinion - thanks for your input :thumbs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
@ Zoon
sounds like your taskbar is full
Everything I need is exactly where I want it with all my current documents. It does help that I have 2 x 22" 1920x1080 plus the laptop screen is 1600x900 to fit it all in though. I've usually got several applications and documents open myself, cross referencing things or just plain being busy!!
Old 11th Dec 2012, 16:25   #30
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzons View Post
Xir if you open the app to screen 2, close the app (hit the x), and then reopen, it should then stay on screen 2... usually..
Correct, it usually does it

It's a laptop with a second screen cennected to the docking station. Every time I undock and redock, I need to set up the second screen.
That's not how it's supposed to be and not how my previous (XP) laptop worked.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 12th Dec 2012, 19:24   #31
Buzzons
Mod Master

hit windows + p and do it from there - should remember settings
Old 18th Dec 2012, 08:03   #32
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Thx a lot.

Got more or less settled, annoyingly we use Office 2010 and Office 97 (on Win7 / XP machines accordingly) and the 97 can't open the 2010 documents, and the 2010's keep ranting when opening '97 documents)

Anyway, in windows explorer, why is the "one-up" button gone? (and how do I get it back / is there a keyboard shortcut?)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 18th Dec 2012, 10:00   #33
Zoon

You use the 'breadcrumbs' in the address bar now instead. Just click the parent folder (or several folders up if you prefer) and it'll take you there.

Also in Windows Explorer, drag and drop regularly used folders into the Favourites list at the top for speedy explorer-ing.
Old 19th Dec 2012, 07:59   #34
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoon View Post
You use the 'breadcrumbs' in the address bar now instead. Just click the parent folder (or several folders up if you prefer) and it'll take you there.
yeah...that doesn't alsways work though (not after a search for instance.)

But I've found a Keyboard shortcut that does it (Alt-arrow up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoon View Post
Also in Windows Explorer, drag and drop regularly used folders into the Favourites list at the top for speedy explorer-ing.
That's what I use the Desktop for
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 19th Dec 2012, 12:43   #35
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I’ve finally found some time for some onlinetraining to Win7.
Not bad, but here’s a thought.

Windows (95-XP) used to be desktopbased, you’d organize your stuff and put links to programmes and folders or files (items) on the desktop.
Win7 goes away from this, your encouraged to put everything onto your taskbar or startmenu instead. Items on the taskbar or startmenu have an enhanced usability (jumplists etc.), the same items on the desktop don’t.
Win8 returns to “Desktop” again, only now the items on the desktop have the extended usability,plus a previes, so now we call them “Tiles”.

I don’t get it.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 20th Dec 2012, 10:42   #36
Zoon

That bit of insight might explain why I don't like Windows 8 - I love a nice empty desktop so I can see my background!
Old 20th Dec 2012, 16:22   #37
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

That's what the Win7 tutorial keeps telling me.

My background is solid black though...and usually filled with something over it anyway
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire