bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Jan 2013, 03:25   #1
sAnity
Minimodder

sAnity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project WOOD

Hey guys, this is my HTPC project log. I guess you could say this is a scratch build, since I made the box out of Cedar based " cabinet grade plywood. This build is just air cooled, seeing as I wasn't willing to spend money to water cool a computer for my parents since they haven't let me water cool my own yet. Mind you, I am only 17, still in high school, and trying to pay insurance on my car . I have built PCs for friends and customers, but never actually one from scratch for my personal self, or my immediate family. Unfortunately my mom would rather go to Staples and buy a $300 P.O.S. than have me build her a computer for the same price, thats 25-40% better, but no that is NOT an option.
Enough of me ranting, I will get onto the parts that I have ordered or already have for this build.
In the beginning this was supposed to be an APU build, so either Llano or Trinity, but since I have less money than I expected for this build, I changed some things.
For this build I have bought:
CPU: AMD FX-4100
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
DVD Burner: LITE-ON iHAS124-04
Fans: Cooler Master R4-S25 4 Pack (2 front intake, 2 back exhaust) and Kingwin CF-012LB (top intake)
along with some Silverstone fan filters, and APEVIA grills, and also motherboard standoffs, and screws
I have also taken parts that I have already got here, and I will be putting them into this build such as:
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit
RAM: ASint 4x2GB 1333MHz Dual Channel
HDD: Samsung HM500JJ 500GB 2.5" (Movies)/Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75PSA0 (Games + Storage)/Western Digital WD800JD-08MSA1 (Dual boot Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8)
Various parts from my old NZXT LEXA S

I have the case already built, and that will be displayed in my very first project log update! This is all very exciting!

Last edited by sAnity; 12th Jan 2013 at 16:40.
sAnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2013, 04:48   #2
Fredcompany
Sir, your PC just bit me.

Fredcompany has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAnity View Post
Unfortunately my mom would rather go to Staples and buy a $300 P.O.S. than have me build her a computer for the same price, thats 25-40% better, but no that is NOT an option.
Fortunately, that means she won't blame you when it breaks :P
Fredcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2013, 04:59   #3
sAnity
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcompany View Post
Fortunately, that means she won't blame you when it breaks :P
are you sure about that? she blames me everyday for it not working to her expectations when it comes to farmville
Old 4th Jan 2013, 02:34   #4
sAnity
Minimodder

It looks like the power supply is in Pennsylvania and is scheduled for early delivery tomorrow, so hopefully I can get everything marked up for cutting when I get my other parts. Sorry guys, I am doing this basically all at once, mostly because my dad doesn't want to have to take more time on this than he needs to. I will be taking pictures of everything step by step, but I unfortunately won't be able to ask your guys input during the build. Sorry .
Old 4th Jan 2013, 19:58   #5
sAnity
Minimodder

Change of plans! UPS messed up (only half way though). I have parts... but I don't have the power supply. Story from UPS is that a trailer was late, and that I won't be getting the power supply until further notice. But I do have the motherboard and everything else, so I can get the box all marked up for cutting when the power supply arrives.
Old 5th Jan 2013, 05:32   #6
metalglasses
Minimodder

metalglasses has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmetalglasses has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmetalglasses has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In the future, when you are planning to upgrade your system, install the old parts into your parents compy's and see if they can figure out what you did, of course without you knowing about it.
metalglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2013, 09:14   #7
sAnity
Minimodder

I'm not upgrading my system, I am taking spare parts that I have lying around (all of these work) and ones I bought new to go into this scratch build. In no way am I modifying, taking parts from, or otherwise doing anything to my mom's $300 P.O.S. like I believe you thought I was doing. Correct me if I am wrong?
Old 6th Jan 2013, 00:32   #8
sAnity
Minimodder

I have a lot of respect for people who make their computer cases out of wood! This is really interesting material to work with!
Old 6th Jan 2013, 03:47   #9
sAnity
Minimodder

FIRST EVER UPDATE!!!
Yesterday I tore down my old NZXT LEXA S which had some issues with stability and sturdiness. This update contains those pictures.

Not my hands, my dad's -

That's it for this update! I do have more done, I would just prefer to space it out a little bit over time.

Teaser Pics!!!

Have fun until next time guys!

Last edited by sAnity; 6th Jan 2013 at 03:53.
Old 10th Jan 2013, 21:31   #10
sAnity
Minimodder

Sorry I have not posted anything in a while guys, but my mom just went in for her 3rd spinal tap today, and I have been dealing with 3 sprained fingers over the past 3 days (my moms spinal taps haven't all been in a row, but about a month apart). This project is moving along, but at the same time is slightly delayed.

Tags
air cooled, first build, htpc, wooden box

View Mode