HTC 8S

Any views on the HTC 8S?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...QAR56/buyin-21

Seemed like a good one to me.
kaxliysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:02   #2
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Only thing that I'd be a bit wary of on there is the 500mb of ram, seems like it would be too low for multiple applications + live tiles + updates simultaneously. Obviously this is the budget phone to go alongside the 8X, I'd wait and see what the Nokia 620 looks like when it comes out next month; as the 920 is the superior of the high-end Windows 8 phones and will give this a run for it's money.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:08   #3
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
512MB RAM is not an issue, 512MB is what highend WP7.5 phones had. What is the real issue with 8S for some is the storage space. 4GB total, but you have only ~1.1GB available to you, because the rest is taken by the system. If that is low or not depends on your use case. First, you can use an microSD card for music, video and pictures. 1.1GB will be used for cache (mail, sms, telephone numbers etc) and apps. Unless you are going to install a navigation app which needs gigabytes of space and can't put the files on SD card, you will be fine with it in my opinion.

Alternative is to wait for Lumia 620, which got pretty much identical specs, except it will have 8GB storage and will be priced around 250€.

@Edwards: You do realize 920 is ~600€, 8X and 820 are ~€450-550, while 8S is ~300€ and 620 is going to be ~250€. Suggesting 920 against 8S is like saying "Get a 500€ Samsung Galaxy SIII instead that 100€ ZTE Blade" - it is pointless, they are completely different market segments.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:14   #4
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
512MB RAM is not an issue, 512MB is what highend WP7.5 phones had. What is the real issue with 8S for some is the storage space. 4GB total, but you have only ~1.1GB available to you, because the rest is taken by the system. If that is low or not depends on your use case. First, you can use an microSD card for music, video and pictures. 1.1GB will be used for cache (mail, sms, telephone numbers etc) and apps. Unless you are going to install a navigation app which needs gigabytes of space and can't put the files on SD card, you will be fine with it in my opinion.

Alternative is to wait for Lumia 620, which got pretty much identical specs, except it will have 8GB storage and will be priced around 250.

@Edwards: You do realize 920 is ~600, 8X and 820 are ~450-550, while 8S is ~300 and 620 is going to be ~250. Suggesting 920 against 8S is like saying "Get a 500 Samsung Galaxy SIII instead that 100 ZTE Blade" - it is pointless, they are completely different market segments.
I think you misread my post. I was suggesting waiting for the 620 to compare against the 8s, as the 920 compares favourably against the 8x.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:28   #5
Archtronics
I *am* a Dremel

Archtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I also recommend waiting for the Nokia 620 similar spec but better camera and interchangeable cases mean if you damage it, it's a quick fix. If its anything like the 920 then you will enjoy it!
Archtronics is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode