bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Feedback & Suggestions

Old 8th Jan 2013, 21:21   #1
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Why is the BBC general news site more up to date than Bit-Tech for tech news??

As in this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071

I saw the headline for it and clicked to Bit-Tech hoping for a better article, only to find nothing!

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:10   #2
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Probably because the BBC has thousands of technology staff all over the world, whereas Bit makes do with a handful of freelancers and a hamster in a wheel powering the server.

The forums are your friend though. If it's not in the news or reviews we just get on and do it ourselves
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:23   #3
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Probably because the BBC has thousands of technology staff all over the world, whereas Bit makes do with a handful of freelancers and a hamster in a wheel powering the server.

The forums are your friend though. If it's not in the news or reviews we just get on and do it ourselves
Agreed...he speaketh the truth
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:40   #4
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Thousands of tech staff all over the world, yes, but this was news about the Valve Console, from the CES show, which I expected Bit-Tech to be covering...

Old 8th Jan 2013, 22:47   #5
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Because bit only has one news guy and he'd done his 3 or 4 stories for the day. I expect it'll be here tomorrow with more detail or background than the beeb, bit is usually a day so behind but with better coverage. Suits me tbh up to the minute gossip and speculation can be found any where...
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:10   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers View Post
As in this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071 I saw the headline for it and clicked to Bit-Tech hoping for a better article, only to find nothing!
Because the Beeb - and a whole host of other sites - have jumped the gun. Here, have a look at the press release: note that there is absolutely zero comment from Valve. Xi3 has not announced a partnership with Valve, nor has it announced that the device it has unveiled - a compact PC described as a development-stage product, not a launch-ready retail product - is the long-awaited Steam Box. The company has stated it has received "investment" from Valve, but not what form that investment has taken.

Until Valve says it's the Steam Box, it's just another compact form-factor PC that can run Steam - and there are plenty of those around.

The most important line from the press release, just in case you missed it: "No additional details about Xi3's new system or Valve's investment in Xi3 will be released at this time." No additional details = no news story. When there are additional details - i.e. there's actually something to write about - we'll cover it. Until then, we'll leave it to the rumour-mongers and click-whores at the Beeb and elsewhere.

In short: don't mistake "complete failure to do any research into a story or even to verify information from a press release" with "more up-to-date."
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:34   #7
greypilgers
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Because the Beeb - and a whole host of other sites - have jumped the gun. Here, have a look at the press release: note that there is absolutely zero comment from Valve. Xi3 has not announced a partnership with Valve, nor has it announced that the device it has unveiled - a compact PC described as a development-stage product, not a launch-ready retail product - is the long-awaited Steam Box. The company has stated it has received "investment" from Valve, but not what form that investment has taken.

Until Valve says it's the Steam Box, it's just another compact form-factor PC that can run Steam - and there are plenty of those around.

The most important line from the press release, just in case you missed it: "No additional details about Xi3's new system or Valve's investment in Xi3 will be released at this time." No additional details = no news story. When there are additional details - i.e. there's actually something to write about - we'll cover it. Until then, we'll leave it to the rumour-mongers and click-whores at the Beeb and elsewhere.

In short: don't mistake "complete failure to do any research into a story or even to verify information from a press release" with "more up-to-date."
I happily stand corrected... You, sir, are an oak!

Old 8th Jan 2013, 23:37   #8
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Aw, Gareth. That's possibly the most polite pwnage I've seen in a while. A tip of the hat to you, sir.
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:32   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
And now that there is additional information available, here's the more in-depth coverage for which you were hoping. Note that it basically points out that the BBC article was, to put it bluntly, hogwash. That's what you get when you don't fact-check and just rush to put up articles as quickly as possible.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 18:34   #10
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I usually find it's the BBC that tend to be behind the times regarding technology - my dad watched BBC Click yesterday and proceeded to tell me smugly about the YotaPhone and its E-Ink display as well as the German-built laser defence system.

Imagine his dismay when I told him I read about both last month!
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote