bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 8th Jan 2013, 02:04   #1
Dashie
What's a Dremel?

Dashie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Detecting Drives. . . " screen for a very long time?

Hey guys!

So I got my new PC case, and moved everything over, and did a fairly good cable management job. However... When starting my PC, it will show the BIOS screen (the Press Del screen) and then go to "Detecting drives . . ."
It will stay at this screen for approx 3-5 minutes. Then boot, and run completely normal. However, if I press the DEL key to get in to BIOS, it will go to "Detecting drives . . ." and then after the wait, go in to BIOS.
In boot priority, it is first, followed by Cd-ROM, then removable drive. (Should I disable this?)

It's running in SATA Port 3, so I was thinking maybe that's the issue? Or does the BIOS near-instantly detect them if there are no issues? It's a Western Digital 500gb 7200 RPM 16mb cache drive, if that helps.
I didn't change any hardware between switching, only the case. Also. My CD-ROM drive is detected in BIOS, but will not show up in "Computer" under my hDD. Nor will it open when I press it.
Is it a possibility that it's getting shorted out and that's why it hangs, and will show up in BIOS but not boot? I'm pretty much out of ideas now. :C

Can boot device times be affected by which SATA port it's in? I'd need a longer cable to reach Port 1, but I don't know if that would help or not. ( I could get a cable tomorrow.)

Here's my PC:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit .
Kingston HyperX 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
Sapphire 6870 1gb.
Phenom II x4 975BE.
Zalman Z9 Mid Case.
Corsair GS600 PSU.
The CD drive is an LG, but specifics I can't say.
Dashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 15:33   #2
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashie View Post
Hey guys!

So I got my new PC case, and moved everything over, and did a fairly good cable management job. However... When starting my PC, it will show the BIOS screen (the Press Del screen) and then go to "Detecting drives . . ."
It will stay at this screen for approx 3-5 minutes. Then boot, and run completely normal. However, if I press the DEL key to get in to BIOS, it will go to "Detecting drives . . ." and then after the wait, go in to BIOS.
In boot priority, it is first, followed by Cd-ROM, then removable drive. (Should I disable this?)

It's running in SATA Port 3, so I was thinking maybe that's the issue? Or does the BIOS near-instantly detect them if there are no issues? It's a Western Digital 500gb 7200 RPM 16mb cache drive, if that helps.
I didn't change any hardware between switching, only the case. Also. My CD-ROM drive is detected in BIOS, but will not show up in "Computer" under my hDD. Nor will it open when I press it.
Is it a possibility that it's getting shorted out and that's why it hangs, and will show up in BIOS but not boot? I'm pretty much out of ideas now. :C

Can boot device times be affected by which SATA port it's in? I'd need a longer cable to reach Port 1, but I don't know if that would help or not. ( I could get a cable tomorrow.)

Here's my PC:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit .
Kingston HyperX 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
Sapphire 6870 1gb.
Phenom II x4 975BE.
Zalman Z9 Mid Case.
Corsair GS600 PSU.
The CD drive is an LG, but specifics I can't say.
Sounds like the cd drive has a fault/short/incorrect fitting as if it wont even open it got to be a hardware problem as it should open even straight after you've pressed the comps power button.I would unplug the cd drive completely and see if it boots normally.

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2013, 15:41   #3
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Also, try re-seating or even replacing your SATA cable(s).

Horrible things, works of purest evil
Old 9th Jan 2013, 16:10   #4
aramil
Keeping it Kerbal.....

aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.
Unplug them all and reconnect one and boot then add another. Should show you which cable/drive is playing up.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2
System: Intel i5 3570K delidded CLU @ 4.6Ghz | Asus Stabertooth Z77 (2003) | Asus GTX560-TI Direct cuII | OCZ Agility 3 120Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 500Gb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 8Gb (2x4) Corsair Vengence | Corsair K90 Keyboard | XSPC-Raystorm-750-RS2400 (2 X Akasa viper) | Casecom 5288 | Samsung LS24B300HL / LE46C750 | Windows 10 64bit | Audio: Linn Classik & Keilidh Speakers
aramil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 05:59   #5
Dashie
What's a Dremel?

Dashie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got it. :P

I ungplugged the CD Drive ,and it still sat at "detecting drives . . ." So I plugged it back in (with a different SATA cable) and it worked. Turns out it was the CD drive causing me to hang, not the HDD. So everything is working correctly now. :P

I had to wait 2 days to get the new cables.
Dashie is offline   Reply With Quote