bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 6th Jan 2013, 15:54   #1
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Long Term Cloud Storage Solution

Hi guys,

Just thinking about backing up everything I have that's of real value to a cloud service so that should a HDD of mine go bust I have a backup on a server somewhere.

This isn't so much for being able to access files on the go, more to do with backing up data and not touching it unless something locally goes wrong.

Any thoughts on a good provider or a solution?
Old 6th Jan 2013, 16:11   #2
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Dropbox are great, new service provider is coming soon called mega which is exciting, avoid all the small ones like media fire, rapid share and such,

How much data do you need to store?
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:41   #3
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Was thinking of commiting about 10-20 gb of data to cloud. The key things are my music and my photos. Everything else is kind of 'meh, i lost it so what.'
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:57   #4
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I had similar thoughts but my photos run to over 45gb and I doubt I could be bothered running the computer for days and days while that swamps my upload. Instead I bought a cheap (slow) 64gb and take it into the office, odds of the house and the office burning down on the same night are fairly slim.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:01   #5
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pretty much what steveo said. Even better solution is if you can find someone (work, family) who will allow you to put your backup computer system somewhere and you will just back up remotely.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 10:07   #6
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Amazon S3 Glacier is your friend. Cheap, highly redundant and secure.
Old 7th Jan 2013, 12:28   #7
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Something like www.crashplan.com or www.backblaze.com would be worth looking at.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 00:00   #8
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
Hi guys,

Just thinking about backing up everything I have that's of real value to a cloud service so that should a HDD of mine go bust I have a backup on a server somewhere.

This isn't so much for being able to access files on the go, more to do with backing up data and not touching it unless something locally goes wrong.

Any thoughts on a good provider or a solution?
I take back my dropbox comment it's been a thorn in the side all night.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 07:08   #9
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would second Amazon S3 we use it in work to backup clients, very very cheap and never goes down for us
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 07:58   #10
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
S3 is great.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 11:04   #11
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Buy a cheap External drive and stick it in a safe.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 19:22   #12
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
KeepVault is good also very cheap and been rock solid and saved me loosing a few files despite having multiple backups

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:00   #13
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
To you guys who use S3 what software do you use to either do direct backups or mount drives locally? I have seen a few solutions to mount a bucket as a local drive (my ideal solution) but these cost money and I am not willing to splash out unless I know it is good.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:09   #14
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We use Jungle disk but i would stay away from them, i havent seen any updates for there software in over a year, it seems like a dead product which we will be moving away from in the not too distant future
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:30   #15
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Don't know how well it works but if you have a Linux server kicking around you could mount this over samba.
http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/wiki/FuseOverAmazon
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:48   #16
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
I will stay away from Jungle Disk, thanks for the info. I haven't got anything spare and Linux kicking about.

I have been using SyncBack free for ages to do my backups from Local Pc to external HDD and/or my Synology and I just noticed that the Pro version will backup straight to S3. It is 37 for a pro licence but you can then use that version forever. I am trying out the Pro trial now.

The only downside to this is the lack of drive mounting so isn't quite a dropbox like say... Dropbox but if I set it to push up certain folders to S3 on a schedule it will just be like a delayed dropbox.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 14:44   #17
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Amazon S3 Glacier is your friend. Cheap, highly redundant and secure.
Weirdly enough this popped up at work today and looks perfect for my personal backup. Was honestly surprised how cheap it is Only $0.011 per GB / month (for EU Ireland) is just stupid, it's basically pocket change!

Do you use Glacier? Don't happen to use CloudBerry by any chance?
Old 15th Jan 2013, 15:35   #18
Matticus

The only "issue" with Glacier is when it comes to getting the data out. It costs quite a lot to move 10s of GB's out. It really is supposed to be your final backup, which is great is that is what you need. For me S3 is better as I want to be able to access certain files on it from variously places occasionally.

One thing I didn't notice before is that my Synology can backup to S3. I am not sure how efficient it is, I presume it will only upload changed files etc. I haven't had chance to check it out yet.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 15:41   #19
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
The only "issue" with Glacier is when it comes to getting the data out. It costs quite a lot to move 10s of GB's out. It really is supposed to be your final backup, which is great is that is what you need. For me S3 is better as I want to be able to access certain files on it from variously places occasionally.

One thing I didn't notice before is that my Synology can backup to S3. I am not sure how efficient it is, I presume it will only upload changed files etc. I haven't had chance to check it out yet.
I only use Glacier as as final backup position, and never access the files in day-to-day use, as my NAS is accessible worldwide anyway. The overall cost of using Glacier as opposed to using S3 Standard or RRS, even if I have to pull my 80-odd GB backup all at once, is still a major saving in cost. Remember though, if you're not pulling more than 1GB a month in general use, you can do that for free, even with Glacier.

I run S3 through my Synology. Trust me, it's a perfect setup. Works seamlessly, without you having to worry about it, and yes it's a differential check, unless you decide you want a full set again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Weirdly enough this popped up at work today and looks perfect for my personal backup. Was honestly surprised how cheap it is Only $0.011 per GB / month (for EU Ireland) is just stupid, it's basically pocket change!

Do you use Glacier? Don't happen to use CloudBerry by any chance?
I don't. I run it through my Synology NAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
To you guys who use S3 what software do you use to either do direct backups or mount drives locally? I have seen a few solutions to mount a bucket as a local drive (my ideal solution) but these cost money and I am not willing to splash out unless I know it is good.
There are a few ways to get S3 working. Check out their FAQ section for different ways. A lot of products have the interface built into them. Synology are a big fan of theirs, for example, and have made it very easy to configure a backup to S3 as often as you like.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 16:16   #20
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just out of curiosity how secure is your data when someone else stores it? I.E. if you have family/military records with personal information? Thoughts, and this is not a hijack just thinking out loud.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote