bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 10th Jan 2013, 12:02   #1
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

Ddemon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Water Cooling Design

Hi all, been planning this loop for a few years now, bought most of the stuff then ran out of money. Anyway trying to get it finished now, iv done a design on sketchup approximately where everything will go (im not the best) and wanted your opinions. Note that the NB SB and pwms will be in one of the loops.

Originally i had 2 graphics cards thats why there are 2 loops, so i thought i would keep them for when i get another 570.

Anyway, my plan is to build a small enclosure out of plexiglass ( already bought it ) iv got 4 500x500mm sheets 8mm, but the problem im having is if it will support the rest of the computer?

Iv thought about putting the enclosure on top but then im unsure if the pumps will work effectively being above the waterblocks?

Hardware :
XFX 790i Ultra
Q9550 @ 3.8
Gainward GTX570 Phantom

Ddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:10   #2
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think it would support the whole case no. you'd probably have to put in a support frame.
XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res, 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus, Alphacool NexXxoS XP Light - Acetal Edition, Alphacool NexXxoS NVXP GTX760 Full Cover Copper Block, Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30 Full Copper Rads, 5x
Xigmatec CLF Red 120mm Fans
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 13:06   #3
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

Im trying to think of ways to support it. One idea is angle iron on the inside or outside and tap/bolt the plexi to it.

Does anyone have any better ideas?
Old 11th Jan 2013, 16:00   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Build a box out of 6mm HDF (high density fibreboard). Way easier to work with, if you don't have any special tools, and it's dirt cheap aswell. You can buy 1m of 6mm HDF for some €20.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 16:02   #5
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

I already have the plexiglass, just need to think of a way to strengthen it.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 18:43   #6
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
put some ribs against the plexi then? 8 mm plexi is not that weak, and if its strengthened by plexi 90 degrees on the walls, it'll be that much stronger.

top side view:

|- RADIATOR -|
|- PUMPS -|
|- RADIATOR -|

with the minus sign glued against the wall, so to reinforce it. effectively making the plexi much thicker.

Edit: this is not clear, isn't it?
Old 11th Jan 2013, 18:45   #7
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

What do you mean? Bend some plexi into 90' and fix it to the case on the joints?
Old 11th Jan 2013, 20:33   #8
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ok, I made a quick-quick sketchup of what i meant. This way, the side is much stronger than without the ribs. And with some imagination, the ribs could be built in in the design. (to hold your radiators etc)

Old 11th Jan 2013, 20:56   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddemon View Post
I already have the plexiglass, just need to think of a way to strengthen it.
I thought you were only going to build the reservoirs out of the plexi.

Anyways, 8mm plexi doesn't need any reinforcement. The material is strong enough to carry the weight of the case ontop, if you build a box out of it. You just need to make sure that the joints are strong enough, and I would recommend using brass-inserts and screws to join the panels, as I'm not too confident with glue.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 21:01   #10
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

I see what you mean now.

Good idea, but i cannot see how i could implement it and still have the radiators mounted where they are.

I could use the idea and make a U shape and have the hoses running up them;
Top View
l_____________________l

Another problem im having is how to mount the reservoirs. Id like to use the threaded holes in the sides, the only way i can think is drill a hole in the side and have a long bolt. Ill need to take it out to put water in. My plan was to cut a hole in the back panel and put a fan grill there or something.

Thanks for help btw.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 21:06   #11
Ddemon
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
I thought you were only going to build the reservoirs out of the plexi.

Anyways, 8mm plexi doesn't need any reinforcement. The material is strong enough to carry the weight of the case ontop, if you build a box out of it. You just need to make sure that the joints are strong enough, and I would recommend using brass-inserts and screws to join the panels, as I'm not too confident with glue.
No, need to build the whole bottom box. Oh, brilliant, saves a lot of work for me.

Iv been told by my friend that the glue is the business as his friends make fish tanks using it and such. Can anyone else vouch? Id prefer using the inserts to be honest as it allows me to take a panel off if needed.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 21:12   #12
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Back to your pump question. It doesn't matter where it is in relation to the GPUs. More importantly is it is below the reservoir. Reason being that it will be a bugger to primer the system and you also run the risk of the pump running dry.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watercooling

View Mode