bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 59 42.14%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.29%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th Jan 2013, 23:03   #2001
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Internets gone dodgy again. I have no idea what to do now
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 23:21   #2002
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Knew I should have gone to windows 7.

Computer hung last night when I put it to sleep so I turned it off by holding down the switch, now it just endlessly cycles through auto repair. The only option that I've not tried is to reinstall which windows claims will remove my files.

Cue an evening of swearing and frantic browsing. Linux to the rescue in the end wget on the server to download and burn some decent software to get my last two weeks of photos off the crippled windows install then I can reinstall every thing and partition everything I want to keep on a separate partition.
Old 11th Jan 2013, 22:08   #2003
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I might just have to buy a internet cable and hope it fits under my door. I want to play CS:GO
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2013, 10:58   #2004
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
**** happens, but that is not necessarily due to what version of Windows you are running. I'm running W8 on a seven-year-old dual Opteron with legacy drivers for a Radeon X1650, a SoundBlaster card and a K8T Master-2-Far motherboard, known for being a capricious beast. It runs fine. Better than Vista, in fact.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2013, 12:23   #2005
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
True, my frustration s mostly around the ineffectual but unskipable repair process. But in the back of my head I get the feeling the issue was caused by immature drivers and code and with the two years w7 has it might not have been an issue.

The upside is I spent the evening last night with Knopix last night sorting files and partitions, I've not had Linux on my desk top for 12 months now but I'd forgotten how much I prefer it even to xp so I've made a files and os partitions so I can get back to using windows as a games console.
Old 12th Jan 2013, 21:55   #2006
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Samsung won't launch Windows RT tablets in the US, blames confusion and weak demand

Samsung's line of Windows Ativ tablets was announced just this past fall, but it doesn't look like the company will be bringing the RT version to the US any time soon. Speaking to CNET, Samsung executive Mike Abary said that the Qualcomm-powered RT tablet will not be sold in the US, citing the high cost of educating the consumer on Windows RT and studies from retail partners that said demand for Windows RT tablets was not enough to warrant the heavy investment in consumer education.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/10/38...-rt-tablets-us
Quote:
CES 2013: Industry Source -- More Than 3 Out of 4 Enthusiasts Reject Windows 8

For obvious reasons I won't name the particular company I heard this from, but during a discussion this week with a company who makes enthusiast laptops and desktops for gamers I heard a somewhat interesting and startling statistic that drives home just how much Windows 8 is indeed struggling.
According to the the source:

It's really interesting... what we see is more people selecting Windows 7 [than Windows 8]... because we offer both side by side. And we actually see more people switching [back] from Windows 8 [to Windows 7] which is interesting.

The source said that over half of the purchasers of enthusiast PCs who do take the Windows 8 drive tend to bail within a couple weeks.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29639
Old 12th Jan 2013, 22:36   #2007
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ROFL, Samsung is absolutely insane with their pricing. 718€ for a Windows RT tablet is plain stupid.
Old 12th Jan 2013, 23:38   #2008
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Problem is they are not the only company who have pulled out of a windows rt tablet citing a varying reasons. Cost of OS, cost of educating fokes, lack of demand been the 3 most used.

Samsungs ATIV has been viewed as a nice piece of kit with good battery life on most review sites so its all in all a loss to the consumer.

Samsung pulling out will also make less well off companies consider if its worth it, as they may feel if Samsung with all there billions can't make it work why should we risk the companies survival on it.

Microsoft should be the one pushing the OS not expecting hardware manufactures like Samsung to drive demand. ( yes I know its a similar strategy to google) Main dif is google OS is free.

All Microsoft adverts in the uk have slowly disappeared again, back to the full on apple Samsung adds on the major uk channels.

Microsoft need to push windows rt if they expect it to be a success, feels alot similar to Zune launch and that ended in defeat.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2013, 23:44   #2009
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Linux and Windows 8: Fast Startup puts data at risk

The new Fast Startup feature of Windows 8 puts the filesystem's integrity at risk if other operating systems are used to write to Windows partitions. Data loss is particularly likely with dual-boot configurations that involve Linux and Windows 8.

http://www.h-online.com/open/feature...k-1780640.html
Old 13th Jan 2013, 23:57   #2010
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As long as you don't change Windows driver or system stuff, you are fine. Silly news is silly.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 00:15   #2011
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
As long as you don't change Windows driver or system stuff, you are fine. Silly news is silly.
Hardly silly, as someone that occasionally dual boots I find that piece of info quite useful to know. Also it's not unknown for windows to be crippled to the point the system requires something like a live CD antivirus to get an install back up and running. I don't believe it's just driver or system stuff either. Sharing files between os for dual boosters is reasonably common
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 00:16   #2012
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you are sharing data, you are better off with 3 partition. Windows, Linux and Data

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 00:23   #2013
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Sharing files between os for dual boosters is reasonably common
Using NTFS for this is not (unless you are a crazy adrenaline junkie).
Old 14th Jan 2013, 00:51   #2014
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
If you are sharing data, you are better off with 3 partition. Windows, Linux and Data
That seems like a waste of disk space to me. If I needed to share files on the same disk I would just shut windows down properly.

Anyway I'm in Ubuntu 12.04 and it won't let me mount my windows system drive. It tells me its hibernating and to go shut it down properly. So its good that they carry a warning on the fact. I can mount mount a seperate ntfs drive that I have.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 11:28   #2015
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
I personally keep all my shared files on another drive out the way. Seems like a weird decision not that I have fast boot enabled never turn the thing off.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:22   #2016
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Well back in Win8. Time to set it up how I like it and make a system restore point and hope it stays...

You have to admit nuking the system and all the related files to fix a corrupt file is seriously amateur hour. In fact the "amateurs" manage better, most linux installs will ask to nuke your /home (files) partition before installing a new distro...
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:33   #2017
theshadow2001
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Well back in Win8. Time to set it up how I like it and make a system restore point and hope it stays...

You have to admit nuking the system and all the related files to fix a corrupt file is seriously amateur hour. In fact the "amateurs" manage better, most linux installs will ask to nuke your /home (files) partition before installing a new distro...
I'm pretty sure if you have home in a separate partition to root you don't need to nuke it when you reinstall.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:44   #2018
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Precisely! And Linux has been doing this behind the scenes for over a decade now...
Old 15th Jan 2013, 13:45   #2019
impar
2n-1

Greetings!

Quote:
Help! I've got Windows 8 and I miss my Start menu!
We take a look at some of the Start menu alternatives for Windows 8.

To address the unfamiliarity and (perceived) problems with the Windows 8 UI, a number of third-party applications have popped up to provide a Start menu, or some approximation thereof, and a Start button for Windows 8 users. They also pull some kind of trickery to switch directly to the desktop upon logging in.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...my-start-menu/
Old 15th Jan 2013, 16:25   #2020
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
It would appear that there is no way to copy and paste in the browser on my Lumia 920, another step towards it just being used for calls and texts.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview