bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 29th Nov 2009, 19:24   #1
vils
Multimodder

vils has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Macintosh Atom(?)

I built my wife a comp a year ago, based on a Intel atom board and some leftovers.
The result is a well working but not so good looking object:

But I've just got my hands on this one:

A Macintosh IIcx, my plan is to fit all current internals of the ghetto mod into this lovely case.
Apart from the PSU wich won't fit. It's almost a shame to go for a mini-ITX board since a mATX will fit, but finance limits me to what I already got.
I will try to get a slot loading dvd though since I will try to make minimal work on the outside of the case. Just widening the floppy port would be the best way to go.
Here's some pics of the new case:

Plans are brewing...

Last edited by Combatus; 13th Jan 2013 at 21:27.
vils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2009, 19:36   #2
Ryan Cooper
It's been a long time.

Ryan Cooper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Liking the Idea. You've got a follower. One question though, are you gonna make that slot in the front (which I'm guessing was for a floppy drive) bigger, or are you going to seal that up and make a completely new one?
Old 29th Nov 2009, 19:38   #3
Raiden
Portuguese reviewer

Raiden has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Time for a modd in it !
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2009, 19:40   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Nice catch on the case, as it has basically all interiors allready done to simply mount the new hardware into it.

I'll be watching this

Define Mini Black [Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H | intel i5-3450 | Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 8GB | Gigabyte GTX660OC Windforce2 | intel 330 120GB | WD AV GP 1TB]
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2009, 19:44   #5
vils
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cooper View Post
Liking the Idea. You've got a follower. One question though, are you gonna make that slot in the front (which I'm guessing was for a floppy drive) bigger, or are you going to seal that up and make a completely new one?
Just widening the original floppy slot. I only need to make it one inch wider. And that won't compromise the original looks.
Thanks for the comments to you and Raiden.
Old 29th Nov 2009, 22:10   #6
Jelle46
Belgian freedom

Jelle46 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJelle46 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks promising, nice ghetto-mod btw, was your wife happy with it :d
Jelle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2009, 23:38   #7
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh, like it! Your "old" box looks quite like my skeleton case (the mod is still alive, I just can't find the time to finish it ). Can't wait to see what you make of this
Old 30th Nov 2009, 01:23   #8
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love putting PCs into other people's products. I watch.

john
Old 30th Nov 2009, 01:44   #9
null_x86
Thread Closer

null_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysis
im watching this
Korraz - That iPad vs Stone one is an insulting lie! I never expected to see something so mediocre as THIS an this holy thread! You disgust me! A stone HAS a Touchscreen!
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2009, 02:08   #10
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
I will be watching, from a tree outside your bedroom window!

If you are planning to hackintosh on the software side, be warned that OSX was updated to not allow atom machines to boot. Not sure how easy this is to get around (probably just not updating )
Old 30th Nov 2009, 03:29   #11
null_x86
Thread Closer

null_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysisnull_x86 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
If you are planning to hackintosh on the software side, be warned that OSX was updated to not allow atom machines to boot. Not sure how easy this is to get around (probably just not updating )
its already been fixed, that story was last weeks news. I have 10.6.2 on my mini and its working fine. [/hijack]
Korraz - That iPad vs Stone one is an insulting lie! I never expected to see something so mediocre as THIS an this holy thread! You disgust me! A stone HAS a Touchscreen!
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:22   #12
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vils View Post
Plans are brewing...

Because we need pics of work in progress. And when you have, let me know and I'll move it back to Projeft Logs.

Last edited by Nexxo; 2nd May 2011 at 22:24.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:49   #13
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
For obvious reasons, I like this (I'm doing something similar with an IBM case)
Is the apple a working system? Would be a shame if it were to destroy it, but I like the idea none the less!
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2013, 20:16   #14
vils
Multimodder

Ok, this have been on ice for too long. My Facit project exhausted resources and energy but now things are on the move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Is the apple a working system? Would be a shame if it were to destroy it, but I like the idea none the less!
I don't know if it worked since I had no possibility to check it. Now it definitly don't work, but I still have working MacClassic in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
For obvious reasons, I like this (I'm doing something similar with an IBM case)
Thanks, parallel with this I'll be working with a IBM 8570 case.

Well, here are the progress so far.
All hardware was ripped out of the case and all odd plastic stands were trimmed off.
I have enlarged the floppy-slot so it can be used for a slot-in Blu-ray burner. The bottom of the case is now lined with an aluminium plate for mounting Mobo and all other devices.

Basic planning:

I don't want to change the exterior of the case to much so all i/o ports will be housed in the original holes with cables attatched to the mobo.

The original 0n/off and reset buttons were mounted directly to the mobo pcb (activated with plastic pins from the front of the case). I salvaged some nice clicky switches from an old VCR that I will mount in some way.

The computer will be used as a media server so I'm looking for a itx-board with hdmi and that are not too heat producing.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 11:04   #15
vils
Multimodder

The last days I've been playing around with card-board mock ups in the case and tried different positions of the hardware.
There are plenty of room but not in the right places, this will be tricky to get right. But challanges like this is one of the reasons for that I like cramming new stuff in odd old cases.
Nostalgia might be another one.
I'm now contemplating to use a PicoPSU with a 12v AC-DC converter housed inside the case to get some more flexibility with the inside logistics.
Both SFX and Flex PSUs poses tremendous placement problems.
Any good ideas a welcome.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 13:24   #16
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The SFX-PSU should fit nicely, if you turn it by 90. It has only 125mm width, but yeah, a picoPSU would make it even easier to place the components, and it wouldn't be much more expensive either.

Define Mini Black [Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H | intel i5-3450 | Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 8GB | Gigabyte GTX660OC Windforce2 | intel 330 120GB | WD AV GP 1TB]
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 19:22   #17
lew0808
What's a Dremel?

lew0808 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
love the idea, I'm watching this.
lew0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 14:07   #18
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Look at all that EDO RAM lmao.

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 20:45   #19
vils
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
The SFX-PSU should fit nicely, if you turn it by 90. It has only 125mm width
Now it does. I have chiseled away the plastic 'grid' from parts of the case's bottom and now have exactly 125mm.
I did intend to show you some pics of this painstaking chore but for some reason I no longer can transfer pics from the phone to the computer. I can hopefully solve this until tomorrow.

Apart from blisters in my palm I have also produced a stand for the internal on/off and reset buttons.
But more about this later when I can post pics again.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 01:08   #20
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
Look at all that EDO RAM lmao.
That puppy maxed out at 20Mb of ram!!

View Mode