bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:12   #1
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Abysmal internet speeds on 60mb fibre

Says it all really.

Virgin Media. What a massive pile of fail.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:14   #2
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Have you called them?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:15   #3
fuus
Rocking All Year Christmas

fuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyanfuus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
2000th post too. Feel for you Tang
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:18   #4
Tangster

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
Have you called them?
I'll be on the phone to them at 9am sharp tomorrow. Not happy, especially as they're going to hike the price by 1.15/month from Feburary.

It's frustrating because VM are the only company that offer a 9 month student contract as well. I'll have to look into pay monthly contracts next year.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:19   #5
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
When did it start happening? If you log in to your account then you can see the status of your connection.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:28   #6
DD_nVidia
Multimodder

DD_nVidia has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If they are that bad, just get a 12 month and pay the rest off at the end?

And since when did student leases only last 9 month? Most go over summer in Dundee at least.
DD_nVidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:36   #7
Tangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
When did it start happening? If you log in to your account then you can see the status of your connection.
About 3 days ago. It's been getting steadily slower since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_nVidia View Post
If they are that bad, just get a 12 month and pay the rest off at the end?

And since when did student leases only last 9 month? Most go over summer in Dundee at least.
They aren't supposed to be this terrible. In Coventry they were decent, in Liverpool they aren't great at all. I'd never lease a house for 12 months. I go home over the summer.
BT Feedback
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:39   #8
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quality generally depends on who owned the infrastructure before Telewest was merged with NTL.

Have you check the router? I was having horrible trouble with mine but the router/modem was over heating had to get it replaced.
Old 14th Jan 2013, 22:44   #9
Tangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Quality generally depends on who owned the infrastructure before Telewest was merged with NTL.

Have you check the router? I was having horrible trouble with mine but the router/modem was over heating had to get it replaced.
We've tried leaving the router off for a couple hours to cool, turning it on-off. Not much help. Might be a firmware bug. That's happened before.
BT Feedback
Old 14th Jan 2013, 23:43   #10
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I just hope that they are not playing with the word "Up to" like they do in Canada.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 00:09   #11
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
And your only slower than 56% of the UK.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 01:50   #12
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Hi Tangster

I had the same problem as you for ages, but it's fixed now!

Try the following:
Go to http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_downstream.asp
On the row labelled "Power Level (dBmV)" each of the values should be between -3 and +7, but up to 10 can be ok. However, if you add them all up, it should total less than 33.

What are your values? If they're too high, you can fix it by buying an attenuator from maplin. If they're too low, try unscrewing the co-axial cable at the wall and on the modem, then screwing it back in again reasonably tight. If that doesn't fix it, ring VM and ask them to send someone round.

There's a guide to what all the numbers mean here
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 02:11   #13
Tangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
Hi Tangster

I had the same problem as you for ages, but it's fixed now!

Try the following:
Go to http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_downstream.asp
On the row labelled "Power Level (dBmV)" each of the values should be between -3 and +7, but up to 10 can be ok. However, if you add them all up, it should total less than 33.

What are your values? If they're too high, you can fix it by buying an attenuator from maplin. If they're too low, try unscrewing the co-axial cable at the wall and on the modem, then screwing it back in again reasonably tight. If that doesn't fix it, ring VM and ask them to send someone round.

There's a guide to what all the numbers mean here
The mean power level is -0.5dBmV, -1.1V to -0.1 so that's probably not it. Thanks anyway.
BT Feedback
Old 15th Jan 2013, 09:31   #14
Cabe6403
Supreme Commander

Cabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for presidentCabe6403 should be considered for president
Good luck when you ring them. I've always found them to be remarkably unhelpful on the phone.
Try this to get through to them quicker: http://gethuman.com/phone-number/Virgin-Media/

I'm also on the 60mb package but luckily we tend to get it. The other night I was downloading off Steam at 6-8MB/s.
I can kick you way up into a tree
Cabe6403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 10:00   #15
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i must say ive had virgin for 3 or 4 years and 2 years at my parents and its has been fine. I would imagine there is a problem with your line.

Ive had the 10mb, 20mb and now upgraded to 30mb packages (for free only took a phone call) and ive gotten the full speed with sub 7ms pings at all times of the day.

I must admit the support is rubbish and always has been. Best thing to do is ask for it escalating as you dont understand them. It should put you through to a Glasgow call centre and those guys are helpful.
Old 15th Jan 2013, 10:48   #16
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
had virgin since it was telewest blueyonder, was and still is awesome.

managed to download Diablo 3 last night at a steady 13.1MB/sec (104.8Mb/sec!) took mere minutes! mind in my area we were one of the first to get fibre and always seem to get the speed upgrades first, guess im in a lucky catchment area
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 22:01   #17
Tangster

Got an engineer out today to look at the local box. Problem is mostly fixed(Still not getting near 60mb, but better than before).
Ping is down to double digits and the speed is around 2-16mb. Uploads at <1mb, but I don't do any serious uploading anyhow.

Not happy with the quality of service, but the CS is good.
BT Feedback
Old 15th Jan 2013, 22:14   #18
hugo60
Multimodder

hugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Having similar problems with Virgin Media last couple of days.

Terrible D/L and jitter, upload seems unaffected? My ping test results seem normal (~20ms,3ms ping/jitter) while pc is just idling but as soon as i try to load a webpage or video it does this...

hugo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 23:05   #19
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Strangely enough I've been noticing better speeds on my VM account than I'm paying for. I was downloading a couple of games at the weekend and my d/l speed was hitting around 4.2MB/s (35Mbps) when I'm only supposed to be on up to 30Mbps.

It's a postcode lottery!

EDIT:
Old 16th Jan 2013, 16:19   #20
abezors
Lurking since '08

abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.
I've sorted out a couple of different friend's Virgin media setups, after they'd upgraded to 30/50mb with the "Super Hub" (a pile of crap).

Turn the Hub into Modem Mode and use a different router to do the real work.

Ping times, throughput and wireless quality all improved by an insane amount in both cases. Like 1.5mb down 50ms pings to 35-49mb down 11ms ping. The super hub made browsing the web more painful than my home 0.5mb dsl.

Just quit the super hub, can't be overstated.
abezors is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode