bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 7th Jan 2013, 08:59   #101
crudbreeder
Minimodder

crudbreeder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
How does an what-you-call external powered usb hub work?
It's just an USB hub that has its own separate power supply. So they provide their own power to the hub ports instead of drawing all power from the port on your computer. They are useful when you need to attach multiple power hungry devices to a single USB port.
crudbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 09:51   #102
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Thanks crudbreeder!

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2013, 22:29   #103
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
Thanks for the info kelmannen! The laptop has three USB connectors, and Ive tried changing between them. Sometimes (if Im lucky) the controllers work simultaneously, but only for a couple of seconds. How does an what-you-call external powered usb hub work?
here you have an example powered usb hub @ kjell&co

as the other guy said, a normal hub with a net adapter..
if you have 3 usbports they might all be on the same power =/

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2013, 02:12   #104
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Back after holidays with NEW hardware. This arcade beast deserves something better than tip founds. I'll have better airflow in there from now on.

The Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX, 8 gb RAM and an i3

A 60GB SSD from Intel and pain-in-the-*ss-to-mount cooler Scythe Shuriken

Also got my ebay "unbranded" controllers. Good simple PCBs inside for easy soldering and no driver issues, but the range!!! Aprox 2 meters(!?) Soooooo cheap So I had to throw them away. Going to give those xbox controllers one more chance.

Anyway, installed OS on the new HW

Laterz!

Last edited by quizz_kid; 12th Jan 2013 at 02:48.
Old 12th Jan 2013, 02:46   #105
quizz_kid
Squid

Ill really have to finish this one soon........

Old 12th Jan 2013, 11:01   #106
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice hardware. Gotta love those ITX boards. Is it an Ivybridge I3? An arcade rig like this does deserve some great hardware. Can't wait to see this finished.

Retro Stuff:USB modded N64, NES, Gamecube, Mega Drive and Dreamcast controllers for Emulation ~ Homemade Arcade Stick ~
Darkwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2013, 11:37   #107
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
Nice hardware. Gotta love those ITX boards. Is it an Ivybridge I3? An arcade rig like this does deserve some great hardware. Can't wait to see this finished.
Nope. It is lga1156 i3.

@quizz_kid:

Too bad for those controlers. But I believe there is a way to exted the range with better antennas.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2013, 16:51   #108
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
Thanks Wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Nope. It is lga1156 i3.

@quizz_kid:

Too bad for those controlers. But I believe there is a way to exted the range with better antennas.
Hmm... They would be perfect if you could extend the range somehow. An antenna you say. Would the antenna go on the receiver or the controller PCB? Do you happen to know more about this? Im VERY intersted.

Tiny update: Decided to go back to the xbox-PCBs. After a lot of precision soldering I managed to get it all working.

Heres the guts of the detachable joystick pads. A lot of wires in there

But It looks much better when I cover them with these egg white inner protective plates.

Heres a close up of the 4-8-way switching of the joystick. Pretty simple, but elegant I think.

And heres when the outer plates are attached. Hope youll like it!

Old 15th Jan 2013, 20:09   #109
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 06:02   #110
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
wow
Thanks man!

Last update before finals...

Decided to solder those tiny LEDs on the xbox pcb. It was tricky, but I managed and secured it with epoxy.

And then found a good spot for the LED mount... Marked it and started to drill.

Final pictures next time guys!

Old 18th Jan 2013, 17:56   #111
quizz_kid
Squid

Finally finished!!

No text today, Im just gonna let the pictures speak for themselves.

And heres a video I made, if interested in how it actually works:

Thanks for watching / Quizz

Last edited by quizz_kid; 11th Feb 2013 at 17:32.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 18:28   #112
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That looks awesome Quizz.

About that antennas, you should check what antennas are build in controler and usb receiver.
There is probablay something like extended pcb or flat cable with "extra" conduit on it in maze or spiral shape. That is how cheap antennas are made. You can enhace range simply with soldering something like paper stample on it.

And may I say again-awesome project.

And one question-the wood you used for the build is walnut,right? Is it good type of wood for laser cutting?
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 23:25   #113
C4B12
Minimalistic PC's

C4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Shut up and take my money!

Check out my website Minimalistic PC where you can find different modding projects, reviews and contests!
C4B12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 09:56   #114
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
That looks awesome Quizz.

About that antennas, you should check what antennas are build in controler and usb receiver.
There is probablay something like extended pcb or flat cable with "extra" conduit on it in maze or spiral shape. That is how cheap antennas are made. You can enhace range simply with soldering something like paper stample on it.

And may I say again-awesome project.

And one question-the wood you used for the build is walnut,right? Is it good type of wood for laser cutting?
Thanks Pranja! And thanks for the antenna info, Im going to try that staple idea first thing tomorrow. Regarding the walnut I have no idea, I did it all by hand. The laser cutter Ive access to cant cut solid wood, just MDF(max 4mm). Its mainly for acrylic, papers, cardboard etc. Hope that answeded you question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4B12 View Post
Shut up and take my money!
Ill gladly do that =) Thanks friend!

Old 19th Jan 2013, 10:51   #115
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Incredible work again mate and the video was something I would expect to see in a local indy cinema. Keep it up
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2013, 03:37   #116
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Drooooooooooooooool

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2013, 03:38   #117
AbKaRy
What's a Dremel?

AbKaRy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great job ... Amazing work of art
AbKaRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 00:48   #118
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Incredible work again mate and the video was something I would expect to see in a local indy cinema. Keep it up
Thanks Editor. Glad you liked the movie, took a while to shoot by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Drooooooooooooooool
Nutty nutty boy... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbKaRy View Post
Great job ... Amazing work of art
Thanks AbKaRy! Appreciated.

Took some photos of the mashine running the beamer today, hope youll like it!

Old 21st Jan 2013, 08:43   #119
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
So wonderfully geeky.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2013, 10:15   #120
crudbreeder
Minimodder

crudbreeder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's simply amazing
crudbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode