bit-tech.net

Old 17th Jan 2013, 09:16   #1
Teknokid
Ultramodder

Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
UPNP

I'm trying to get my homes DLNA working correctly, but so far it's just doing my head in.

I have my main hub connected to a wireless bridge in the living room. The wireless bridge however, doesn't have UPNP, so am I right in thinking that DLNA wont work, even though the main hub has upnp?

If this is the case, are there any bridges out there that do support UPNP?

Cheers,

Tom
Teknokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 09:36   #2
Snakko
exterminate

Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, UPNP and DLNA work on the Transport Layer (just like the Bonjour Service for Apple Airport, for example) so it shouldn't matter the brand or model of wireless bridge you're using (because they usually work on a lower level).
If the IP configuration of your wireless network is correct, and all the machines (DLNA Server, Clients, possibly a DMR and so on) can see each other (and use their UDP and TCP ports without issues due to nat/port forwarding/firewalls etc) everything should work without problems.
The only reason to have UPNP support on a network device like a bridge or a router is to allow control features from clients, like setting automatic port forwarding rules from compatible software on a router NAT table, but it's only that feature, the fact that DLNA uses UPNP isn't related to this at all.

Last edited by Snakko; 17th Jan 2013 at 09:46.
Snakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 12:12   #3
Teknokid
Ultramodder

Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakko View Post
Hmmm, UPNP and DLNA work on the Transport Layer (just like the Bonjour Service for Apple Airport, for example) so it shouldn't matter the brand or model of wireless bridge you're using (because they usually work on a lower level).
If the IP configuration of your wireless network is correct, and all the machines (DLNA Server, Clients, possibly a DMR and so on) can see each other (and use their UDP and TCP ports without issues due to nat/port forwarding/firewalls etc) everything should work without problems.
The only reason to have UPNP support on a network device like a bridge or a router is to allow control features from clients, like setting automatic port forwarding rules from compatible software on a router NAT table, but it's only that feature, the fact that DLNA uses UPNP isn't related to this at all.
Hmmm ok, so my hardware shouldn't be the issue? I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to networks.

I'm trying to get two main things to work: get the blu ray to see my NAS, and control the Blu-Ray from my mobile phone. Neither of things want to happen, which is quite frustrating!
Teknokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 17:14   #4
Snakko
exterminate

Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.Snakko is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknokid View Post
I'm trying to get two main things to work: get the blu ray to see my NAS, and control the Blu-Ray from my mobile phone. Neither of things want to happen, which is quite frustrating!
I suppose your NAS acts as a DLNA Server, am I right?

Could you check, in random order:
-if the NAS is visible from another PC on the same network segment? (fire up Windows Media Player or VLC with the DLNA discovery option enabled)
-if the NAS has a firewall that prevents connections to the DLNA service?
-if the DLNA Server service is actually running on the NAS? (brand and model? does it have something like a WebUI where you can enable or disable it?)
-if the IP configuration of the BR player and the NAS are correct?
-the wireless bridge is configured as a WiFi repeater or a WiFi AP?
Snakko is offline   Reply With Quote