bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 52 44.83%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 26 22.41%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 38 32.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th Jan 2013, 10:57   #2041
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As to the geek question, I used to consider myself a geek but this big hardware upgrade (Athlon x2 to I5) plus the upgrade to Win8 made me reconsider.

I consider my self more an informed power user these days. The frustration around the file corruption, the new gfx card that's been sitting under my desk waiting to be installed, all reinforced my view that I just don't enjoy this like I used to. As I said before, going to stick Linux on the other partition and see if I can get some mojo back.
Old 16th Jan 2013, 11:18   #2042
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
Tbh having used it for a couple of weeks, I don't use metro that much at all I have no need for it. From what little I have used the "new stuff" simply replicates functionality from a browser but in yet another place to look. This is fine on a tablet but when I use a desktop computer I tend to know what I want to do with it.
Exactly, instead of using custom apps for a very specific purpose designed for use with a clunky finger, you have the browser which can multitab and is designed for using with a keyboard and mouse. Metro doesn't add any real functionality to the desktop computer apart from some novelty from live tiles.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 13:51   #2043
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows 8 is not designed for just current desktop computers. Neither will its successors be. They are being designed for what comes after keyboard-and-mouse desktops. Things with touch screens, that are both desktop and portable, using keyboard, mouse, pen, gestures, game controllers alike.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 14:12   #2044
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.theshadow2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Windows 8 is not designed for just current desktop computers. Neither will its successors be. They are being designed for what comes after keyboard-and-mouse desktops. Things with touch screens, that are both desktop and portable, using keyboard, mouse, pen, gestures, game controllers alike.
Well thats not much good if I have a non portable, non touch, non pen, non gestures desktop.
Old 16th Jan 2013, 17:16   #2045
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
I'm still hung up on the idea of a dedicated mini metro screen for my desktop. That combined with a third party start menu would be the shizness. Although I'm probably the only person that would like something like that.
Me, I'd like that feature too. Quick access to all my programs + all the live tiles always visible. Having a single touchscreen monitor for those tasks, whilst keeping the main monitor(s) non touch to avoid fingerprints and smudges on these monitors that are used for work makes sense in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Yep. QuickLaunch user here too. No idea why Microsoft is slowingly burying it.
I honestly can't get my head around why anyone would moan about the loss of quicklaunch, when pinning programs to the taskbar does the same thing + adds much more functionality in the form of jumplists, and when the program is open there isn't a doubling up of icons. It's simply win, win, win.

Quote:
Well thats not much good if I have a non portable, non touch, non pen, non gestures desktop.
It's still the future though, as is a possible integration of a kinect style input. The Modern UI is more suitable to a Minority Report style of input than the traditional desktop, and who doesn't want to see that come to fruition?
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 17:35   #2046
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Yeah, obsolescence is a bitch, no? I find my ATi Radeon 1650XT doesn't run Crysis either.

Old 16th Jan 2013, 18:11   #2047
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Yeah, obsolescence is a bitch, no? I find my ATi Radeon 1650XT doesn't run Crysis either.
Nothing says obsolescence like my bleeding edge hardware. (Well apart from my cpu)
Old 16th Jan 2013, 21:04   #2048
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
You should upgrade your hardware to match the 30+VAT software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullonien View Post
I honestly can't get my head around why anyone would moan about the loss of quicklaunch, when pinning programs to the taskbar does the same thing + adds much more functionality in the form of jumplists, and when the program is open there isn't a doubling up of icons.
Can you pin a folder shortcut? Or Recycle bin?
Jump lists are available on running programs.
I use small icons, have no problem hitting them with a mouse.
In W8 previews you couldnt even pin resource monitor shortcut. Is that fixed?
Old 16th Jan 2013, 21:45   #2049
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Opinion: Windows 8 Is Unuasable
I figured since you guys liked Brian's other video on data caps, you'd also get a kick out of this.

Video

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/01/...ws_8_unuasable
Quote:
Stardock: 3 million Start8 downloads; version 1.1 launched
http://www.neowin.net/news/stardock-...on-11-launched
Quote:
Pokki revamps Windows 8 Start menu program; hits 1.5 million downloads
http://www.neowin.net/news/pokki-rev...lion-downloads
PS: Sorry for the double post.
Old 16th Jan 2013, 21:58   #2050
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

You should upgrade your hardware to match the 30€+VAT software.
People do to play the latest version of Crisis. But that's not the point. The point is that one day her will upgrade his hardware, as everybody does, and it will have all sorts of shiny new features, and Windows is ready to make the most of them.

You are getting too stuck on how Windows 8 fits your current PC and your current way of doing things. It is actually building the foundations for something much bigger than you can see. Not everybody has vision. It's why Steve Jobs was a bit special.

Last edited by Nexxo; 16th Jan 2013 at 22:51.
Old 16th Jan 2013, 22:15   #2051
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally ill stick to my none touchscreen dell 27inch monitor thanks all the same.

When a touchscreen has the dell Quality then i may consider it, Till that time there is 0 chance id ever buy one or consider it.

For my gaming pc if they made a touch screen game that i wanted to play on a pc id consider the upgrade i guess but can not see that happening.

Microsoft is more content to throw kinnect at us than they are to provide a touchscreen game.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2013, 22:48   #2052
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

I'd imagine it depends on the game. A god's-eye view strategy game for instance would work awesomely with a touch screen. A first-person perspective game would work better with Kinect.

Old 17th Jan 2013, 00:27   #2053
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Not everybody has vision..
It's not about vision, windows 8 is not the software in the vision. Its a transitory piece of software. It doesn't fit the vision any more than the last version of windows does. The point is, its a poorly done transition. Its [Metro] not very useful on current desktops, nor does it give any useful elements of "the vision". It gives you jumbo tablet, that's about the height of it.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 09:29   #2054
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
The point is, its a poorly done transition.
Yep.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:23   #2055
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Another frustrating thing, when connected to an audio device via Bluetooth my 920 drops the connection if I receive a text or email and pauses the song even if I have all notification tones off.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:36   #2056
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
It's not about vision, windows 8 is not the software in the vision. Its a transitory piece of software. It doesn't fit the vision any more than the last version of windows does. The point is, its a poorly done transition. Its [Metro] not very useful on current desktops, nor does it give any useful elements of "the vision". It gives you jumbo tablet, that's about the height of it.
They said something very similar about Windows 1 with mouse once. And when Steve Jobs felt that computers should have typeset fonts, everybody thought that he was on crack.

On a Surface, or laptop like the Lenovo Yoga it makes a lot of sense. On a family all-in-one desktop with touch screen it makes a lot of sense. Sure, it needs a lot of refining but so did Windows 1 when it came out. It took a decade to refine that paradigm.

Old 17th Jan 2013, 11:56   #2057
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
On a family all-in-one desktop with touch screen it makes a lot of sense.
Does touch-screen itself make sense though? I can't think of many less natural ways of using a desktop PC than touch-screen - tablets yes, laptops yes, a large monitor on a desk, not so much.

I've just been pretending the monitor sat in front of me is touch (it very nearly was, I just swapped out for an AIO and the Dell XPS One-27 was under consideration), and my shoulder is already aching. Large sweeping movements, at full stretch up to above shoulder height followed by switching back to a keyboard in the general lap region, repeating ad infinitum - no thank you.

Touch-pad gestures might make sense, and make sense of the new interface, but I can't see how a desktop touch-screen does.
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 12:57   #2058
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
Does touch-screen itself make sense though? I can't think of many less natural ways of using a desktop PC than touch-screen - tablets yes, laptops yes, a large monitor on a desk, not so much.

I've just been pretending the monitor sat in front of me is touch (it very nearly was, I just swapped out for an AIO and the Dell XPS One-27 was under consideration), and my shoulder is already aching.
I think the idea is to have the touch-screen immediately in front of you, on hte desk and with a ~30 angle.
You lose the desk for paper work, though.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 13:01   #2059
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

And you keep the desk free for paperwork when there's the slab of a 101-key keyboard and mousepad on it?

Again, y'all are getting too stuck on the concept of a literally desktop PC, not a family PC that happens to live on a desk, a table, a sideboard. And on office PCs being sit-down-at-a-desk devices with keyboard-and-mouse input.

Old 17th Jan 2013, 13:05   #2060
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
They said something very similar about Windows 1 with mouse once. And when Steve Jobs felt that computers should have typeset fonts, everybody thought that he was on crack.

On a Surface, or laptop like the Lenovo Yoga it makes a lot of sense. On a family all-in-one desktop with touch screen it makes a lot of sense. Sure, it needs a lot of refining but so did Windows 1 when it came out. It took a decade to refine that paradigm.
So we should excuse something which is substandard or unsuitable because it might get better

Last edited by theshadow2001; 17th Jan 2013 at 13:14.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview