bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 17th Jan 2013, 15:41   #1
PortalBen
Multimodder

PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.
Small screw stuck in phone - any tips on how to get it out?

Hi. I'm currently replacing the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Unfortunately, there is one small screw I have to remove from the mainboard that is incredibly tight and I can't unscrew it. I've now sheared the head of the screw as well through trying to loosen it. If anyone has any ideas on how to undo it then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Ben
PortalBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 17:42   #2
Andersen
Umpteen to the elfteeth

Andersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Can you see threadlocking compount in it? Usually red or blue blob of glue-ish looking stuff. Try heating it carefully (not more than 20-30C above ambient) and have a go at it with pliers that have fresh jaws (read: fresh pliers, not your grandpa's).
Samsung SF510 | Acer Iconia A1-810 | Samsung Galaxy S III LTE | Asus RT-AC66U | 100/10Mbps cable
Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2013, 17:52   #3
PortalBen
Multimodder

PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.PortalBen is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah there's blue stuff on all the screws, that must be it! I don't have small enough pliers for the job though, the head of the screw is ~ 1mm thick.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:11   #4
PortalBen
Multimodder

I'm thinking of just filing of the head of the screw and then just taking the mainboard out. Anyone have any opinions on whether this would be a good idea?
Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:28   #5
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have had luck in the past of putting a rubber band between the screwdriver and the screwhead - for a bit more friction...
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:32   #6
PortalBen
Multimodder

I already tried that to no avail

Thanks anyway though!

Ben
Old 18th Jan 2013, 13:52   #7
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
sounds like you will need to drill the top of the screw out with a fine bit.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 14:09   #8
Andersen
Umpteen to the elfteeth

Andersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitAndersen is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalBen View Post
Yeah there's blue stuff on all the screws, that must be it! I don't have small enough pliers for the job though, the head of the screw is ~ 1mm thick.
That sort of screw is pretty easy to break. TBH it can take maybe quarter of a Nm of torque and it breaks in two.

Just an idea. You got other screws out right? See if you can lift and turn the display module just enough to break the threadlocker or even to completely unscrew that bugger.
Samsung SF510 | Acer Iconia A1-810 | Samsung Galaxy S III LTE | Asus RT-AC66U | 100/10Mbps cable
Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 14:47   #9
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalBen View Post
I already tried that to no avail

Thanks anyway though!

Ben
B****r... I had a similar situation, albeit with a bigger screw, and I can't for the life of me remember how I got round it now. I'll rack my brain and post back if I remember

GK
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 16:30   #10
Daedelus
Multimodder

Daedelus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbungle View Post
sounds like you will need to drill the top of the screw out with a fine bit.
That's what I would do. Getting a file in there without doing some sort of damage is going to be tricky.
Daedelus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainboard, mobile phone repair, samsung galaxy s3, screw