bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th Jan 2013, 03:28   #1
HammerForged
Minimodder

HammerForged has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Case Labs ST10 Project "HardLine"

Welcome Everyone!

I am new here to Bit-Tech. I have been active on a couple other forums but never here so I thought I should share this new build with you all. Hopefully you will subscribe and follow along!

After much tinkering and playing around with my TJ07 learning the tricks of the trade I've decided to start a new build!

The main goal of this build is to move from my cramped TJ07 to the larger Case Labs ST10 and refine my modding skills along the way. I currently plan for the build to have a black, red, and polished nickel theme. I look forward to everyones comments and suggestion to help make this build awesome!

Sponsors:

Components:
  • Case Labs ST10 LINK
  • Intel i7-3770K
  • Asus Maximus V Formula
  • EVGA GTX 680 4GB
  • 16GB Corsiar Dominator Platnium 1866mhz
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Raid 0
  • WD Black 1TB
  • Seasonic 1K Platinum
  • Asus VG278HE

Water Cooling:
  • Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 480 (x2)
  • Koolance CPU-370
  • Aquacomputer AquagraFX GTX 680 - Nickel Plated
  • Laing D5 Pumps (x2)
  • Koolance PMP-450/S Rev.2.0 (x2)
  • Corsair SP120's (lots)
  • Corsair AF120's (x5)
  • Lamptron FC8
  • Koolance NZL-CU10 (just google it )

Update Log:
Most Recent Photo:

So heres the start of the mod:

With the ST10 it allows for multiple 480mm radiator placements. Either one up top, front, or the bottom. For the setup I'm going for there will be a 480mm on the top and bottom which will require the PSU to be relocated. Here is how that will happen:

PSU Mounting Bracket

PSU Blanking Plate for the stock location.

Finished setup of how the PSU will be installed

Last edited by HammerForged; 20th Mar 2013 at 22:16. Reason: UPDATES
HammerForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 05:58   #2
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
Always nice to see a caselabs mod But please read the rules
p0Pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2013, 06:11   #3
HammerForged
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
Always nice to see a caselabs mod But please read the rules
Whoops! Sorry about that. I will post more here in just a little bit!

Edit: Updated the first post. Sorry for being such a idiot guys. New to bit-tech. Hopefully the pics seem to be sized okay. If not please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by HammerForged; 18th Jan 2013 at 06:40.
Old 18th Jan 2013, 07:28   #4
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
No problem and welcome The rules are just in place to ensure that we have some progress to watch, and not just text

Plans, actual progres or maybe some renders will make a good start
Old 18th Jan 2013, 09:24   #5
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
oo another Case Labs mod... cant wait
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:14   #6
HammerForged
Minimodder

More updates today!

Started off by installing the PSU blanking plate. I plan on buying a larger PSU cord and running it from the front mounted PSU behind the back panel and out this hole.

And then there are the Corsair AF120 fans. Talk about blowing some money

These mount in the Flex Bay 120mm fan mounts. These flex bays really make it easy to change components in and out. There is any number of combinations that could be used here. The flex bays can be loaded up with hard drives or another 480mm radiator. The options that they offer are definitely impressive.

Flex Bays Removed:

Fan mounting in the Flex Bays:

Flex Bays installed:

Not sure if anyone can help me out here but do you all have any suggestions for wiring up all the fans to one FC8? A bunch of Y's?

The 2 Black Ice 480 rads are on there way and I am going to mount those up with the Corsair SP120's.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please feel free to let me know!
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:36   #7
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Use Phobya 3-pin to 4x3-pin adapters ?http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_...----black.html

There is a 3x,6x and 9x fan adapter too.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:42   #8
HammerForged
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Use Phobya 3-pin to 4x3-pin adapters ?http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_...----black.html

There is a 3x,6x and 9x fan adapter too.
Okay. Thank ya. Thats what I had originally planed on using but I just wanted to make sure that was the best way to go about it. I have seen where others have actually daisy-chained them together but the Corsair wiring doesn't allow for that with much ease.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:46   #9
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I would not recommend doing that-you might burn fan controller that way.

Two fans per channel is fine, but really wouldn't recommend more.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:58   #10
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@Pranja: There is no way for him to burn out the fan controller that way. Reason ?
http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-coolin...twin-pack.html
0.13 A per fan in case of the Performance Edition. That is 4x0.13x12=6,24W total for 4 fans.

http://www.lamptron.com/products/vie...Controller_FC8
Power Output:Up to 30 watts per channel

So the 4 fans will use 1/5th of the rated power consumption one fan controller channel.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:58   #11
HammerForged
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post

I will be using the Lamptron FC8 and its rated for 30 watts per channel. So doing a little math using the .18 amps @12v the SP120's drawl I should be fine. Works out to be around 2.2 watts per fan. I have seen a burnt up Lamtpron FC and it was not a pretty sight. I think Im going to have around 21 fans so hopefully 3 per channel will be okay.

EDIT: Ha! Faugusztin we had the same idea!
Old 19th Jan 2013, 23:06   #12
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:

Not true,its a 30w per channel FC,capable of powering 8 fans if the wattage is right

I have 4 SP 120's per channel on a FC5

The start draw is around 3w for each of those fans,the quoted specs are running specs.
You need to bare that in mind when choosing a controller

Last edited by B NEGATIVE; 19th Jan 2013 at 23:18.
B NEGATIVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2013, 00:49   #13
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ok, then no problem.

I seen some burned conrollers-don't know specs of them,but not a pretty sight.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2013, 09:13   #14
p0Pe
gief cake?

Quote:
Ok, then no problem.

I seen some burned conrollers-don't know specs of them,but not a pretty sight.
If your fancontroller burns from handling 3 fans, then you have bought a shitty fancontroller
Old 20th Jan 2013, 11:16   #15
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
If your fancontroller burns from handling 3 fans, then you have bought a shitty fancontroller

More often than not,its the crap wiring harness that will give out first....Yes Phobya,im looking at you...
Old 20th Jan 2013, 21:17   #16
HammerForged
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post
More often than not,its the crap wiring harness that will give out first....Yes Phobya,im looking at you...
Im glad you said something about this because I probably would of picked up the Phobya harness but I'll be checking out the Bit Fenix ones now. I guess the gauge of the wire was just too small to handle the current load.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 21:41   #17
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerForged View Post
Im glad you said something about this because I probably would of picked up the Phobya harness but I'll be checking out the Bit Fenix ones now. I guess the gauge of the wire was just too small to handle the current load.
Exhibit A

This had 4 Corsair SP120's on it.
Blew the controller then caught fire.
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 01:43   #18
HammerForged
Minimodder

Just a little bit of an update today!

Got the Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 480mm radiators in. Snapped a few pictures for everyone to look at. I know the glossy finish doesn't really match the mate black of the case but I'm hoping it won't throw off the look too much

I went with a higher FPI radiator so I could actually take advantage of push pull. Won't be too much of an improvement but it made more sense than using a low FPI radiator in push pull so hopefully it was the right decision!
Old 29th Jan 2013, 21:22   #19
HammerForged
Minimodder

Just a little bit of an update, no pictures.

I picked up the 1/2" type M copper pipe last night. I was able to get it in straight lengths so no straightening for me! Originally I wanted run 3/8" but the local place only stocked 3/8" in coils.

I placed the order for the Koolance stuff as well. Originally submitted it through PPC but because of lack of stock they just sent the order directly to Koolance. Should work out fine.

Does anyone have any experience in bending nickel platted copper? I'm considering getting the pipe plated then bending it up. The shop I talked to said it would make plating much easier and that as long as I didn't go over 90 degree bends it should be fine but I am still hesitant. Thanks for the help!
Old 29th Jan 2013, 21:54   #20
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I got away with doing it with chrome,you should be ok.
Ideally it would be plated afterwards.

View Mode