bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 23rd Sep 2012, 19:57   #21
Razbit
Modder

Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Razbit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's just something awesome to watch someone have talent to do woodworking with hand tools, some of which are quite old..

Looks good so far, keep up the good work, brother.

PS.
May I suggest Hazel stain + semi-matte varnish?
Razbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 23:35   #22
maestro0428
Master Modder

maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maestro0428 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hand tools!? Very cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
JAllen Labs GT1000- 3770K @ 4.5ghz, 32GB Dominators, ASUS 660GTX OC SLI, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, 4 drive RAID 0 and 3TB storage in a Silverstone Fortress GT03, Logitech G9X Gaming mouse on Razer eXact Mat, Custom built Fostex studio monitors, Yamaha amp, Nvidia Surround 3x23.5 AOC LED LCDs
maestro0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 23:39   #23
avolla
Hackintosher

avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hand tools keep the neighbors from complaining about the noise of a saw or drill being used in your apartment. lol Keep up the good work.
avolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 00:10   #24
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro0428 View Post
Hand tools!? Very cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks, I've been going all hand tools lately, partly because then I can work in my apartment, and also because I find it more enjoyable. I hope to not disappoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolla View Post
Hand tools keep the neighbors from complaining about the noise of a saw or drill being used in your apartment. lol Keep up the good work.
This is very true... though sometimes I wonder if they can hear the sawing, or hand planing through the walls... occasionally I bet they can hear the hammer from time to time... But if the layout is the same as the neighbor on my living room side, then the bedroom I use for my "shop" would be next to their living room, so I wouldn't be disturbing any sleeping (don't ask how I know that my neighbors bedroom is next to my living room... )
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 01:34   #25
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
On the "100+ year old tools" I know this is a little off topic, and not really related, but this plane was given to me by my Grandfather, and we believe it came from my mothers-cousins-grandfather, as the wedge had his name on it, and a date. The plane dates back to the late 1800's, and I sharpened it up, and made a few shavings with it. It feels really good, for a reason I can't really describe. Again, sorry of the OT, I just like sharing
Your thread you can go OT if you want. I like the feel of older tools also, back then they were made to last unlike today where it's use it once and throw it away.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 16:49   #26
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razbit View Post
It's just something awesome to watch someone have talent to do woodworking with hand tools, some of which are quite old..

Looks good so far, keep up the good work, brother.

PS.
May I suggest Hazel stain + semi-matte varnish?
Thanks, and welcome to Bit-Tech
Old 24th Sep 2012, 16:54   #27
Sviatoslav
Multimodder

Sviatoslav has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome job there, always respected hand tools, let's you put your soul into it!
Sviatoslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 19:33   #28
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sviatoslav View Post
Awesome job there, always respected hand tools, let's you put your soul into it!
Thanks It's a lot more peaceful and relaxing too. Something about being able to say "made with all hand tools" that's kind of fun too
Old 27th Sep 2012, 00:03   #29
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Excellent progress Mosquito & looking sweet, it's extra awesome due to the tools you are using also.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 17:22   #30
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Excellent progress Mosquito & looking sweet, it's extra awesome due to the tools you are using also.
Thanks Waynio. It's been fun so far
Old 29th Jan 2013, 19:43   #31
morgansk
I've got wood

morgansk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
<snip/>

On the "100+ year old tools" I know this is a little off topic, and not really related, but this plane was given to me by my Grandfather, and we believe it came from my mothers-cousins-grandfather, as the wedge had his name on it, and a date. The plane dates back to the late 1800's, and I sharpened it up, and made a few shavings with it. It feels really good, for a reason I can't really describe. Again, sorry of the OT, I just like sharing
There's something oddly satisfying in using a handed-down tool. And you can go on all day about yours as I'll be listening - I have a load of hand-downs, most from my Dad but also a bunch from other people who have gone before, and I cherish them more than any others that I have purchased. It's somewhere between a feeling of awe, reverence and just plain pleasure!
morgansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 13:57   #32
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansk View Post
There's something oddly satisfying in using a handed-down tool. And you can go on all day about yours as I'll be listening - I have a load of hand-downs, most from my Dad but also a bunch from other people who have gone before, and I cherish them more than any others that I have purchased. It's somewhere between a feeling of awe, reverence and just plain pleasure!
Can't agree more man.

I'm also now working on making my own handplane(s) that will hopefully stand the test of time, and get handed down from me eventually
Old 5th Apr 2013, 13:58   #33
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update - Completed - 05 April, 2013

Been a while, but I finally got around to taking the final pictures. I redid the veneer on the top and also made it stand up a little higher than the edges, because it felt like it was missing that little something. I did it because it sort of mimics the idea of the base that way. Also added some mesh in the top cut out.

Finish is 3 coats of Shellac polished with pastewax.

Thanks for checking it out
Old 5th Apr 2013, 16:19   #34
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice use of tools, I dragged out some chisels form the shed for the last build and hadn't done any wood work before, it is oddly satisfying.

Great finish to the case

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 22:21   #35
avolla
Hackintosher

avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice to see you got this guy finished. Looks great. Looks good with the little rise on the top piece. Helps bring it all together. So what's your next project?
avolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 22:54   #36
Mosquito
Hypermodder

@Asouter, thanks. I saw that... I think I sharpen mine a bit more often

@avolla, thanks. I finished it a week or two after you were down here for the modders meetup, just hadn't gotten around to taking pictures lol. As far as what's next? Finish my server rebuild... and my workbench... and my handplane...
Old 6th Apr 2013, 01:36   #37
biojellywobbles
Multimodder

biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.biojellywobbles is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nice to see an update on this, you've got some real talent with the hand tools. What do you use this for now? HTPC?
Old 6th Apr 2013, 01:41   #38
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by biojellywobbles View Post
Nice to see an update on this, you've got some real talent with the hand tools. What do you use this for now? HTPC?
Thanks, I've been getting better over the past year working with mostly handtools.
As far as use, I'm actually not using it at the moment. It just sits on the shelf and looks neat, I guess. I don't really have any TVs that don't have HTPCs already lol

View Mode