bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 29th Jan 2013, 21:49   #1
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Raspberry Pi Competition: Lego Case UPDATE: no more wheels :(

Ok, so after seeing everyones designs, I realised I needed a case for my pi, other than the box it came in . After thinking about trying to make something with wood/acrylic I realised I didn't have a clue how to do it. So I found the big box of lego and got started.

One of the main problems I had was managing to fit the Pi in with the random pieces of lego I had at my disposal.

Here are some photos of the main idea, which just needs neatening up a bit.

One of the main concerns I have is that I might not have left room for it to breathe, but I'll test that tomorrow.

And thats about it so far, suggestions welcome

Last edited by fdbh96; 22nd Mar 2013 at 16:23. Reason: New Title
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 22:21   #2
mx0forever
Minimodder

mx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
nice little build !

i would suggest:
useing some of the thinner lego pieces to close it in a bit more
using smooth top lego pieces in some places ( looks nicer )
having some really small fan for cooling
using more of the lego technical pieces with holes in them for ventilaition
mx0forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 00:13   #3
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx0forever View Post
nice little build !

i would suggest:
useing some of the thinner lego pieces to close it in a bit more
using smooth top lego pieces in some places ( looks nicer )
having some really small fan for cooling
using more of the lego technical pieces with holes in them for ventilaition
Thanks

This is mainly just a prototype thing, in order to judge sizing and stuff. The problem Ive got is that the only lego Ive got is the stuff that I had when I was young (hence the wheels), and most of the blocks I have are really fat. However I did see some good thin pieces with ventilation holes in while I was rummaging around so Ill give that a go.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 08:49   #4
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Put a motor on it!

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 21:02   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
We demand proper placement of the duck eyes!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 23:17   #6
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
We demand proper placement of the duck eyes!
Haha, Ive had a bit of a tidy up today, and Im getting closer to an all red colour scheme.

I had a look at putting motors on the wheels, but I think its probably beyond my practical and programming skills. That and the fact that the case would have to be a fair bit bigger to house the additional power supply, motors and breakout box.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 16:28   #7
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

Update: Had the baby cousin round at the weekend so finally made some progress on case

However, due to its use in the house as a media center the wheels weren't really working (it kept rolling away) so I got rid of them. However, its not all bad news , I managed to find enough ventilation pieces for one side, and some more red bricks for a bit of colour co-ordination.

Here are the new pics:

Current OS: Raspbmc with Frodo
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 20:04   #8
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Maybe put the weels on a moving hinge, so you can 'park' it, with the weels off the ground, but still ride with it if the situation warrants it (for example a baby cousin). You shouldn't worry too much about the temperatures of the pi. That thing never even gets hot. Only warm. Lego and Pi can handle 'warm'.

I'm a bit sad to see the duck-eyes gone, too.

And can't you make the holes in the sides a bit smaller? or does the lego not permit that? It would make the case a bit sleeker, no?

Anyhow, mod on!
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 20:31   #9
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
Maybe put the weels on a moving hinge, so you can 'park' it, with the weels off the ground, but still ride with it if the situation warrants it (for example a baby cousin). You shouldn't worry too much about the temperatures of the pi. That thing never even gets hot. Only warm. Lego and Pi can handle 'warm'.

I'm a bit sad to see the duck-eyes gone, too.

And can't you make the holes in the sides a bit smaller? or does the lego not permit that? It would make the case a bit sleeker, no?

Anyhow, mod on!
I took the top off mainly for access to the GPIO pins, as it was becoming a pain to take the top off.

The port holes are about as wide as they could be as I end up swapping the cables/sd card round a fair bit, so I need a bit of room to access them. However, when I get more settled with the pi in terms of projects, ill maybe close up the gaps a bit.

I like the idea of parking it, Ill just have to find something in the big box of lego for the job.

View Mode