bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 58 42.03%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.64%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 46 33.33%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th Jan 2013, 10:47   #2161
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft Sees 24 Percent Increase in Windows Revenue, Drop in Profit

Microsoft reported a 2.7 percent increase in overall revenue thanks to a small boost from Windows 8

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29744
Quote:
Microsoft: This is just the start of the Windows 8 business

Microsoft held its regular quarterly conference call with financial analysts today as part of its fourth quarter 2012 financial announcements. During the call and its follow up Q&A session, the company's chief financial officer Peter Klein seemed very optimistic that Windows 8 growth would continue, despite outside reports of slow sales of the first Windows 8 specific products.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...ows-8-business
Quote:
Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed
Slab builders ignored Redmond, claims Reg source

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01..._8_blame_game/
Old 25th Jan 2013, 16:14   #2162
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I agree that it was OEM.
Their "high-end" systems were identical to their low end in every single way.
Not even dedicated graphic card of any sort, even if you had 3000$ to give them, same for the CPU. No reason to buy the high-end models. And build quality wasn't that good on the high-end system to justify the price.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2013, 17:09   #2163
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Can't really blame pc makers for not wanting to take risks.

Nothing is selling in the pc hardware market.

Most of the manufactures have tried the tablet market and lost cash, I'd guess none of there market research showed that a windows tablet would do alot better than the andriod ones they already tried to sell in many cases.

We're also down to only 3 main pc distributors these days.

Dell, hp, Lenovo. All 3 are loosing cash and would struggle to invest the R&D in a product they though might not sell.

Not like Microsoft surface rt has set any sales records to show them there's a market. And with the high hardware requirements actually making something that beats or = a surface rt is very difficult.

Asus came out and said themselves as much once cost of OS was added on top there unit price was $150 above the surface rt.

None of them have the supply chains that Apple or Samsung have so parts are very expensive.

I'd be surprised if we see another tablet with windows rt on it outside of the Microsoft surface range. Manufactures seem more intent on exploiting a tablet using atom CPUs as cheap x86 tablets than more expensive than Microsoft ARM tablets.

Have a feeling to see wider adoption Microsoft may need to drop its windows rt price tag to allow there pc makers its moaning at to build more viable tablets.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2013, 19:54   #2164
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The problem with OEM is that they are public. So "0" risk. They HAVE TO not only show that they reached their goals, they need to surpass expectation or the stock plummets.
I am glad that Dell is going private. I hope that they succeed in going private, and not stop selling PC (or sale their PC division to some other company), and that they can take more risk, whether it's new marketing risk, focus on improving their image to attract sales, or focus on high end computer, and presenting them self as the Apple of PC's or return to it's root by ACTUALLY having customization. Picking you warranty length IS NOT customizing. What Dell is now is the last thing Dell wanted to be when it started.

It would be truly silly to think that the the Surface RT will sale great deal. It's only availible in limited quantities online and on Microsoft stores, and it's not cheap. I said it since the begging. Microsoft allowed OEM to have the entire market to themselves. What Microsoft done is a reference design.

Imagine if Nvidia or AMD reference design card are much better than the alternative from the rest? That's how I see the PC market. While, it is true that Microsoft deign is a bit over board for a reference design, it never stopped Nvidia or AMD card manufacture to find creative ways to surpass it.

The that the Surface RT sold anything, shows that people are sick and tired of the OEM crap, and were willing to jump on a device from a manufacture that never made physically a device to the mass market, and no idea on the warranty service quality, or build quality.

Apple supply chain is very very small. They don't sale as many PC's as Dell or HP. They are just good at negotiating prices, and due in having essentially a "1-2 model fits" design, they can order even more identical parts, and instead of have let's say 1000 engineer split in working on 30 different laptop design at a rush paste, they have 1000 engineer talking their time, be in a productive environment, and working on 1-2 laptop/desktop design, and one at a time.

Apple order from 1 manufacture they displays for a laptop and desktop. Dell, HP, etc. Uses 2-3 manufactures for the same laptop. What the heck? Since when multiple small orders is better? Beside you create different experiences. For my laptop I recall 3 monitors LG being the best, Samsung being so-so, and if you had AOC you would return the laptop due that the color were extremely washed out, and very yellow.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB

Last edited by GoodBytes; 25th Jan 2013 at 20:04.
Old 26th Jan 2013, 14:52   #2165
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Can anyone fill me in on how I can enable DVD playback in Windows 8? I have downloaded (and installed) Windows Media Centre, but it still won't play DVDs. Do I just have to give up and use VLC?

I know Microsoft didn't want to include DVD playback by default to avoid paying license fees, but I thought Media Centre included support?!

Thanks
Old 26th Jan 2013, 15:05   #2166
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
It will only play the DVDs through windows media centre program itself, so if your trying to use windows media player instead that won't work.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2013, 15:23   #2167
GoodBytes

Correct.

In the AutoPlay panel of Windows, you can set Windows Media Center to start when you insert a DVD movie. When you do that, it will open and play the DVD movie as you soon as you insert it. So that you don't have to go through the menu of Media Center.

Old 26th Jan 2013, 20:47   #2168
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Correct.

In the AutoPlay panel of Windows, you can set Windows Media Center to start when you insert a DVD movie. When you do that, it will open and play the DVD movie as you soon as you insert it. So that you don't have to go through the menu of Media Center.
I tried that, but I get an error message:

This is a vanilla install of Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Centre installed.

EDIT:
Doing a bit of googling, I think the issue might be this:

http://www.eightforums.com/software-...play-dvds.html

I shall investigate further...
Old 26th Jan 2013, 21:08   #2169
GoodBytes

Well I can assure you it works for everyone. So its definitely a driver related issue, or a conflict.
I would also try a different DVD player drive.

Old 27th Jan 2013, 00:30   #2170
thefriscokid
why s**t so crazy?

thefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremelthefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremelthefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Silly question but will win7 drivers work in win8.
i5 2500K | 8 GB Corsair Vengence | MSI GTX560TI | Asus P8P67 Pro B3 | Crucial M4 64 GB SSD | 2x Samsung F3 1TB | Antec TP 750W | Lian Li A05 | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX | Filco Ninja TKL | Razer DeathAdder | Dell U2410M | Senn PC360
battlelog: thefriscokid - bf3s - xbox live: JAS82
thefriscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2013, 00:35   #2171
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefriscokid View Post
the drivers themselves should [as should vista drivers], but any installers may need to be run in compatibility mode

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2013, 00:36   #2172
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefriscokid View Post
Short answer: pretty much, yes

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 21:52   #2173
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
8GadgetPack

8GadgetPack is a small utility with which you can install the original Gadget program files on Windows 8.

http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/
Old 30th Jan 2013, 23:36   #2174
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!
Quote:
8GadgetPack

8GadgetPack is a small utility with which you can install the original Gadget program files on Windows 8.
Wasn't there some security issues with gadgets?
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 23:53   #2175
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post

yes that's why they were removed
Old 31st Jan 2013, 09:16   #2176
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
What other excuse could Microsoft give to remove them from W8 and open the field to live tiles?
Old 31st Jan 2013, 16:57   #2177
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seriously? You think MS need to invent security issues?
Old 31st Jan 2013, 17:40   #2178
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

What other excuse could Microsoft give to remove them from W8 and open the field to live tiles?
To be honest, I think it really was a happy coincidence. I mean some hackers and security experts must have verified the exploit.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 17:42   #2179
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Good riddance, IMO. Sidebar Gadgets were crap. Rainmeter is much better. And it has been recomplied for ARM so I've got it running on my Surface RT too.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 18:22   #2180
GoodBytes

I agree. The only gadget I was using was the weather, and the dam thing works only for some months. Most of the time it could not pull the weather info from the website, or just showing the temperature, not the weather condition.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview