bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Feb 2013, 08:15   #101
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owndapwn View Post
While your craftsmanship is outstanding, I still see this project as trying to polish poop.
It's starting to get a gloss to it, no doubt, but you're still dealing with poop.
This is how the case should have been from the beginning. But with better cable routing.

Also, you're planning on replacing that CPU heatsink with a custom waterblock, right?
I'd hate to see you be part of the ~24-46% (Depending on model) of Alienware users who have their water cooler randomly explode.
Pump failures (Some just stop circulating water and it just boils the water and burns the CPU, others actually explode and destroy the casing), radiator clogs (Paint dust or corrosion, usually), and hose ruptures (Either split lengthwise or come off the fittings).
That'd leak right on those 680's. Dx
Moderator hat on:

Dude, you gave your unrestrained opinion and then you found that you had to apologise for sounding a bit rude and conceited. Now you're going for round two?

We know what you think of Alienware by now. Let it go. This is about the modding.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 18:47   #102
Owndapwn
Modder

Owndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run CrysisOwndapwn can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckulz View Post
**** all yall.
I think he's doing a bang up job.
From what I've seen, no one disagrees with you.
Which is exactly why no one wants to see that cooler burst.
Granted, when these stats were pulled (By a Dell CR rep just before leaving the company), the year was 2009, so maybe they've fixed it.
I had to service one that had the pump stop circulating water. Luckily he didn't get the overclock option, or else throttling and emergency shutdown would have been disabled.
They are (or were) not quality water coolers. They're not worth defending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
No we don't... that would make us Facebook and nobody needs another one of those...

You both need to chill out! So he doesn't like Alienware... big deal! Your not helping anyone by saying he should be ban for given an opinion. His opinion is simple...
"While Kier's work is high quality, it's hard to make chicken soup out of chicken ****."

You don't agree... well guess what! That doesn't make him a troll. While I agree with you that he could keep some of the comments to himself, the point of a thread is to recieve peoples opinions about your work... most people just post things like "AWESOME!" and "MOD ON!" Just because he didn't follow that boring norm doesn't mean he's trolling. Both of you need to just leave it alone or take your disagreement elsewhere.

Damn man, I really hope not. While Alienware may not be my personal favorite I can definitely say that you are making this case look pretty sexy. I like that you painted the side vents black, something about the plain aluminum finish just didn't look right to me. Also with such a dark case internally I think you may actually do better trying to hide as much of the cabling as you can instead of sleeving. Typically I would prefer sleeved cables over stealthed because I think it adds more character but in this case I'm not so sure. I'm definitely interested in seeing the final results.
This guy.
All of what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post
Why do people keep beating me to posting?
Email updates and a smartphone that beeps when you get an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kier View Post
Thanks y'all for the support , I don't mind to have occasionally Alienware haters after i post an update.
But every time is getting a bit annoying. Please start your own thread or just call Dell support center if you have any issues.

Like I said before....it's all about the modding. Still very proud on the fact that Alienware has choosen a regular Dutch guy to mod one of there cases and after it's good enough take it with them to events with my name on it....this is a modders dream in my oppinion

Enough about this..... for those who like, more cable management

I call hacks.
No way you sleeved non-modular cables that smoothly without performing some sort of sacrificial ritual.
Teach us your secrets, oh great sleever of cables! Guide us to the path to OCD peace and prosperity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Moderator hat on:

Dude, you gave your unrestrained opinion and then you found that you had to apologise for sounding a bit rude and conceited. Now you're going for round two?

We know what you think of Alienware by now. Let it go. This is about the modding.
No offence.. But cowboy hats are way cooler.
Or those sombreros with the bells and stuff on them.

Anyways, I'm not going for round two.
My replies have offered significant advice (It's advisable to not spill fluids on expensive electronics, or put them at undue risk of being fluided on. GTX 680's aren't cheap.) or contributed positively. ("This is how the case should have been from the beginning.")
Owndapwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 21:04   #103
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well, on the bright side of this debate, this thread got boosted to page six!

And yay cablemanagement!

@owndapwn, smartphones just aren't worth it imho. They're one heeeeeeeyuuuuge gimmick full of more gimmicks. I text alot, yes, but the screens are'nt big enough and the apps are free but if your not cautious you'll wind up broke! and my email has become a spambox to the point where im getting spam faster'n i can mark it as such and I'm sub'd to too many threads to put in my yahoo account anyway that's for another thread..
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.

Last edited by siliconfanatic; 2nd Feb 2013 at 16:53.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 23:17   #104
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
No offence.. But cowboy hats are way cooler.
Or those sombreros with the bells and stuff on them.
Who says moderator hats don't have bells on them? And they have lights. They flash.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm not going for round two.
My replies have offered significant advice (It's advisable to not spill fluids on expensive electronics, or put them at undue risk of being fluided on. GTX 680's aren't cheap.) or contributed positively. ("This is how the case should have been from the beginning.")
Yeah, especially the poop comment was constructive. And the roll eyed comment about his sleeving.

Expressing concerns about the cooling system is great. Saying that you don't like Alienware is fine. Harping on about how it's poop crosses the line from honest opinion to self-important asshole just a little bit. Don't be that guy. Be the mellow guy. The guy who wears the cool cowboy hat.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2013, 20:58   #105
kier
-----------------

kier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for president
Alienware Aurora ALX-XL is sponsored by:

Update!!!

The end is almost in sight. Recent weeks i've done a lot on the Alienware Aurora R4
Because the sleeving didnt go easy with the large connector I used extensions. It is certainly not MDPC sleeve, but it's not too bad

Lower GPU power connected

And another

One more

And the last one

Some straightening and pulling

Looks nice

24 pins also some shapening

You've probably saw some pictures pass by with the the tubes, but here everything is connected. This time with 12/10mm tubing
Finally I found them with the perfect size (thanks E22 Nate). Only thing to do is to file a little edge off the tubes just like the crystal links.

Was a lot of work, but here one pic of the other side finished lol

Time to fill her up and leak testing. Optical drive removed and fill the bayres.

After some noise...it became quit

And then it was dark ...
Lights on please!!!

Oww almost forgot, the midplate: I've got the whole plate illuminated using a green ccfl bar for one half.
And the other half (left) I've used a glowpad. The PSU cage would otherwise cause a dark spot ... not now

And power on!!!. Because the side panel is off, 3 white LEDs are shining at the top, which shows the internal

Leds off

Default color is green, but all original color options are possible

Front is looking very nice

And lights back on. Some pictures with daylight and the panels installed

Still some minor work to be done, such as the Nvidia GPU sticker on the cover, acrylic window and so on. Next time Cheers!

kier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2013, 21:20   #106
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Very nice. Great job!
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2013, 05:16   #107
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ooh, havent watched this log in a while, and now it's almost done... '-_-
Really good craftmanship kier, high class as usual

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2013, 08:45   #108
jeckulz
Supermodder

jeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
DELL!
Take note!
jeckulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2013, 08:49   #109
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinded by the liiight!

Loop just got filled with awesomesauce
Are you gonna keep it as-is mostly, or pull off some kier acrylic pipe power of pine-sol magic trick on the cpu block? Thats what you've got!
The power 'o pine-sol, baby!
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.

Last edited by siliconfanatic; 19th Feb 2013 at 01:04.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2013, 20:42   #110
Hanoken
O.O

Hanoken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I feel that if Alienware ever wants to boost their sale, they will probably come after you Kier to do their next on display model seriously what you have done so far has made the computer all the more desirable, and probably made me think again of getting an alienware product (not a hater, just not a fan of the price tag ) anways, Im kind of bummed that the second tubing covers the Nvidia logo on the GPUs, I really liked that logo :3
Old 18th Feb 2013, 20:59   #111
AverageNinja
Almost an EpicNinja

AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.AverageNinja is definitely a rep cheat.
Not a big fan of alienware (and Dell by that matter), but I like this. Interested in seeing more
AverageNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2013, 21:59   #112
tekonivel
Multimodder

tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Nice and tidy! Liking a lot.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 19:32   #113
elAwesome
Multimodder

elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.elAwesome is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
kier, thank you very much for the tutorial of how to install the GPU water block! That really helped me a lot

And I must say that this is an absolutely outstanding build!!
I love every detail of it!
elAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 20:24   #114
kier
-----------------

kier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for presidentkier should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
Very nice. Great job!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
ooh, havent watched this log in a while, and now it's almost done... '-_-
Really good craftmanship kier, high class as usual
Only a few things to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckulz View Post
DELL!
Take note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post
Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinded by the liiight!

Loop just got filled with awesomesauce
Are you gonna keep it as-is mostly, or pull off some kier acrylic pipe power of pine-sol magic trick on the cpu block? Thats what you've got!
The power 'o pine-sol, baby!
lol, internal is almost done...so no big changes anymore, but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoken View Post
I feel that if Alienware ever wants to boost their sale, they will probably come after you Kier to do their next on display model seriously what you have done so far has made the computer all the more desirable, and probably made me think again of getting an alienware product (not a hater, just not a fan of the price tag ) anways, Im kind of bummed that the second tubing covers the Nvidia logo on the GPUs, I really liked that logo :3
I hope so earn some money with it. there will be another beter logo and will be visible all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Not a big fan of alienware (and Dell by that matter), but I like this. Interested in seeing more
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekonivel View Post
Nice and tidy! Liking a lot.
Just the way i like it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by elAwesome View Post
kier, thank you very much for the tutorial of how to install the GPU water block! That really helped me a lot

And I must say that this is an absolutely outstanding build!!
I love every detail of it!
Your welcome mate, good to hear

Old 16th Mar 2013, 10:59   #115
kier
-----------------

Alienware Aurora ALX-XL is sponsored by:

Update!!!

This is it ... he's finished.
Last work is done and now only the final photo shoot. Then he (temporarily) returns to Alienware.
For the demo room and events ... so maybe you'll see it again live somewhere

Window was one of the last things that must be done, so I have adjusted the original cover a bit more unnecessary plastic removed

Cut a piece of acrylic.

And installed

The vinyl stickers were in and looks very nice. They gave my some more pieces to try it out. Letterop Advertising thank you very much for this.

Applied and tested the light

And the Alienware Aurora ALX-XL connected

Crysis 3 installed

Last update will be the final photo shoot and maybe a nice vid ... until then!

Old 16th Mar 2013, 11:37   #116
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow-sexy pc.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2013, 13:23   #117
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Outstanding. A very evil green machine... muwah ha ha ha haaaaaaa!

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2013, 04:16   #118
avolla
Hackintosher

avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That mid plate is such an amazing piece of craftsmanship. Great work.
avolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2013, 07:39   #119
Hanoken
O.O

Hanoken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh my.... oh my... oh my.... oh my... (this went on for an hour as I kept at looking at that logo) yep, I def agree with you having a better logo... damn so that is the product of putting vinyl over plexiglass?
Old 18th Mar 2013, 12:01   #120
dreps
Multimodder

dreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so clean! love it
dreps is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode