bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 31st Dec 2012, 08:53   #101
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I so want that res, cant wait for more pics
Meelobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:04   #102
fr0Zen
sabertooth 990FX

fr0Zen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfr0Zen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
have you found a block for your 7970 yet? you are on every forum in Denmark trying to find one
Old 31st Dec 2012, 13:04   #103
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
I so want that res, cant wait for more pics
Yes, it is very nice. I love the idea that it's glass and not acrylic. But I was a bit surprised over the sheer size of it - the glass tube is 80 mm. wide and the base (and of course also; the pump top) are slightly bigger than my old D5 top (EK-D5). Well, at least that's how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0Zen View Post
have you found a block for your 7970 yet? you are on every forum in Denmark trying to find one
No luck so far.

Well, that's not entirely true.
Coolerkit have actually found an old block and reserved it for me (thanks, Michael!) - problem is that it's not EN Nickel, but simply copper. So, I can either have it nickel plated myself (which I would like to avoid, because the glare/finish probably won't be the same as EK's electro nickel plating method), or I can do as I did: I asked EK if they happen to have a spare block in the old design. Long story.... so, here it is (copied directly from the Hotmods.net facebook page):

"Here's a positive story involving EK Waterblocks.

Now, I've always had good email conversations with EK, and they always responded fast to my various (some of them pesty, I'm sure) questions and sponsoring requests.
I don't think it's a secret or surprise to most of you that I'm absolutely NOT a fan of their CSQ line and I've vented this often and in various places - so many places that I would think that Eddy and his crew know how I feel about it.

With this in mind, let me tell you a good story:

Last week, I purchased an ASUS 7970 for my "The Scratchbench" test bench project. It was simply so cheap I couldn't control myself - and with "Farcry 3" in my game arsenal and with "Crysis 3" coming out soon, I think I needed something more powerful than my 6970.

Now, my 6970 was non-reference and I got the EK-FC6970 V2 block and matching backplate for it - it's just stunning.
I knew that EK make/made a non-CSQ block for the 7970 (last non-CSQ block, I believe), so I started looking around for that one. But I couldn't find it anywhere - well, not in any trustworthy shop, anyway. Couldn't even find any used ones on eBay!

So I was at a loss and started thinking "Should I go CSQ?" - even though I hated the idea and felt (and, to this day; still think like that) that EK had dropped the ball on that one. Still, I had a look around and found that although EK did make a CPU block (the EK Supremacy) that would fit my CPU, they don't make a MOSFET/VRM block in CSQ for my motherboard (ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z), so I would end up mixing designs by going CSQ.

So, I thought: "Let's try to ask EK. It can't hurt, right?" - so I wrote Eddy and Gregor a message, not saying that I dislike CSQ, but that it just doesn't fit my other blocks and if they would still happen to have some classic EK-FC7970 Acetal/EN Nickel block lying around.

To my surprise, Eddy responded REALLY fast, although this was right after Christmas. First of all, he told me that Gregor doesn't work for EK any more, which was new to me. He CC'ed another guy, a Peter Sajn, and told me that Peter would start looking around their stock and warehouse for the block I was looking for. And if they didn't find any, they would ask their resellers to see if any of those would happen to have a block in their stocks.
I was really surprised by the speed and professionalism of EK here. Peter also responded really fast, saying he hadn't found enough parts to put together a whole block for me, but he would start asking the resellers. I was really happy and grateful towards EK for this. It also taught me a lesson - even though I felt they didn't listen to their customers with the introduction of the CSQ design line, they still have an excellent customer service (at least to me) and are willing to go that extra mile for difficult customers - like me, for instance.

I'm not saying that this will win me over on the CSQ side of things - I still think the circles look weird and it's massively annoying that you can now only mount fittings on one side of the blocks, but it made me feel like I should write this to enlighten you all and tell you that EK don't seem to crap on their customers. They just believe that the CSQ line is nice and cool - while still being able to do stuff for their older customers. Thanks, EK!"

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Dec 2012, 13:31   #104
Bitwacker
C# forever

Bitwacker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You got skillz. Like the sketchup stuff too.
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 08:23   #105
fr0Zen
sabertooth 990FX

fr0Zen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfr0Zen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i read that on your facebook nice service thou
Old 10th Jan 2013, 13:29   #106
Lehani
Multimodder

Lehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
plastic protector nutman? what is this ? you know them ?

hows it going ? missing pictures
Old 10th Jan 2013, 19:55   #107
Nutman

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehani View Post
plastic protector nutman? what is this ? you know them ?

hows it going ? missing pictures
STOP TEASING ME!

I know it was stupid to not use the plastic slot protector while cleaning those caps. I do hope I was able to properly re-shape all the pins in the CPU socket. I mean, I THINK I succeeded, but I guess only the 1st boot attempt will tell.

Old 9th Feb 2013, 11:02   #108
Lehani
Multimodder

Lehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the DremelLehani has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
long time no see ?? a status Nutman ??
Old 10th Feb 2013, 08:24   #109
Nutman

As you wrote in your own worklog:

"Modding is not my 1st priority right now".

To which I would like to add:

"Becoming able to mod again is my 1st priority right now".

Still renovating the office/modding/gaming room, aswell as the workshop in my basement. Solid progress was done last week, though, so we're definately getting there!

Old 10th Feb 2013, 08:29   #110
Lehani
Multimodder

bah don't steal my lines :P

well i will say a good work space is very important

i have thrown a small update + pictures on my own work-log your pump is ready to get mounted inside the case this week

but i can say i'll looking forward to see some pictures of your new basement and work space
properly amazing and ofc your mod :P
Old 11th Feb 2013, 15:21   #111
Nutman

I'm not really sure how awesome it'll be.
It won't be as awesome as Bill Owen's modding table, nor any of the other top modders' workshops, but it'll be OK for what I got. Which is a 2x4 m. basement, where I need to be able to store other things, too.

Old 25th Mar 2013, 23:19   #112
Nutman

THIS PROJECT IS NOT DEAD!

Really, it isn't.

However, the worklog seems dead, so let me explain why nothing has happened to this project for sooo long time now.

Well, first of all... I am renovating our apartment and also our basement storage room, where I usually do most of my "dirty" modding work. I have a small workshop set up down there, but, due to the renovation of the apartment, there's really no room for any modding in the workshop right now:

As the apartment was getting more and more ready, I was able to spend some time in the basement room. The plan is to get rid of lots of the junk stored down there (already did, but still much to go) and then build a slightly larger and more logically laid-out-for-modding workshop for me.

First of all, I wanted a bigger table and I wanted it mounted to the concrete wall, to make it much more stable than my old desk.

But first I had to get all the crap out of the room:

And yes, I got a lot of monitors. Old Compaq TFT 8030 18.1" ones - leftovers from the place where I work. I thought I would be able to sell them for app. 30 U$D a pop, but so far no one has been interested enough. Would give me some money for my current project aswell as for renovating the modding workshop, but I guess it just isn't going to be.... they will be thrown out soon, if no interested buyers step up.

However, I was now able to access the room:

A vertical shot might demonstrate better how little room I actually got for modding in there:

I'm not complaining, though. I'm happy to even have a place to do all the "dirty" modding work, and after the renovation it'll become even better, so...

The old table had to go:

Drilled holes in the concrete and mounted the brackets for supporting the table top.
Sadly, I broke the gears in my rotary hammer while doing this. I guess cheap tools can become just TOO cheap. Next time, I'm buying a quality hammer, for sure...

It'll be sweet with the table top fixed to the concrete wall, I'm sure. Since my drill press is going to be mounted to the table top, this will eliminate lots of its vibrations - or, at least, that's the idea. Let's see how it'll all pan out. More to come. Stay tuned.

Old 26th Mar 2013, 15:39   #113
rwb97
Addicted to modding

rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So glad this isn't dead, been eager to see more of this!!!
Quote:
I got my first real 24-pin.... Bought it at the five-and-dime.... Sleeved it till my fingers bled.... Was the summer of '69
rwb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2013, 20:02   #114
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
I didnt read every word, but has anyone else suggested making that res bracket into a handle since it goes across the whole thing?

Like this..

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 10:05   #115
Nutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb97 View Post
So glad this isn't dead, been eager to see more of this!!!
My mods never die. They just go to dust heaven and return eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
I didnt read every word, but has anyone else suggested making that res bracket into a handle since it goes across the whole thing?

Like this..

Funny you should mention handles. I was (and still am) wondering where to put handles on this this. The res bracket is an interesting idea, but I fear it's not stable enough to be used for carrying the entire testbench. I'll keep looking.

Tags
bench, hotmods.net, nutman, scrapbench, testbench

View Mode