bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 58 42.65%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 32 23.53%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 46 33.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:33   #2281
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
I remember the days when you had to go to Start to select Shut Down and then select Sleep, Hibernate, Shut Down or (natch) Log Off. Then, in W95 times, you had to wait until your PC had gone through its shut down ritual and parked the HDD and told you it was safe to turn off the computer, by pressing the physical power button. No-one ever complained about this.
Pretty sure someone complained, Microsoft did change the shutdown process.
Quote:
But we got used to the idea that you had to tell your PC to shut down, in three actions (same as in Windows 8; the location has changed but that's all), rather than just poke the power button.
W7, press Start, press Shutdown, two actions.
As for the power button, two of the PCs I work at have the power button near the floor (one of them is hidden bellow a table and chairs), NOT handy at all to press the power button each time I have to shutdown them, gives me enough trouble to power them up.

Quote:
Two Windows 8 Linux boot solutions may merge efforts

A few days ago, the Linux Foundation announced its first version of a way to boot Linux on a PC that has Windows 8 installed. Now there's word that the Linux Foundation efforts could merge with another previously released solution for running Linux on a PC with Windows 8 inside.

ZDNet.com reports that the second method was actually released by Linux programmer Matthew Garrett on November 30th, about a month after the launch of Windows 8. Garrett uses his own "Shim" method to boot Linux with a PC that has an UEFI secure boot system.

http://www.neowin.net/news/two-windo...-merge-efforts
Old 12th Feb 2013, 10:39   #2282
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
or create a shortcut on the desktop/modern interface its not hard shutdown -s

touch on a desktop is awesome, I have a touchscreen on my desktop, when browsing, scrolling the page up and down seems more natural with a finger on the screen than using scroll wheel, turning pages on kindle app is better, I could go on...
Old 12th Feb 2013, 11:18   #2283
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
What on earth is up with ActiveX filtering in IE10? I've fiddled with the settings turned if off and on and off again, gone into the defailed settings but still you get a "controls have been disabled" message and it is impossible to enable them. I can't even use the checkout in some online stores.

Yeah I have chrome as well but I was quite liking IE10 apart from this.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 13:41   #2284
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
As was said: press the power button? Close the lid?

I remember the days when you had to go to Start to select Shut Down and then select Sleep, Hibernate, Shut Down or (natch) Log Off. Then, in W95 times, you had to wait until your PC had gone through its shut down ritual and parked the HDD and told you it was safe to turn off the computer, by pressing the physical power button. No-one ever complained about this.

But we got used to the idea that you had to tell your PC to shut down, in three actions (same as in Windows 8; the location has changed but that's all), rather than just poke the power button. Well guess what? Now you can just poke the power button.
I'm sure no one complained because it was some improvement over the precursor (I can't remember pre it's safe to shutdown your computer) although I have used windows older than 95. (Actually I can remember using DOS as a lad and floppy floppies) You had access to fewer opinions of others in those days too.

Also I'm pretty sure from a number of previous windows versions you can set your physical power button to shutdown the computer. Sometimes hitting the power button can be more awkward than doing it from software. I have also had instances where shutting using the power button wasn't successful. Something I have never experienced with the software method.

The number of actions from 7 and vista was was 1 click start 2 click shutdown. Now its 1 activate charms, 2 click on settings, 3 click power, 4 click shutdown. Thats more actions as far as I can tell.

Last edited by theshadow2001; 12th Feb 2013 at 13:48.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 15:01   #2285
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Critics cannot have it both ways. They argue that the Surface RT was a dud because it did not sell many, ignoring the fact that it was in limited supply (it is only now being released on the European market and took until December to even appear in US and UK shops). Now they argue that the Surface Pro is not really a success, pointing to its limited supply.

Meanwhile, ZDNet is now arguing that the two models should have been a different colour. That's right: we're now down to criticising their colours. The hate is getting a bit pathetic.
That was partly my point: even in limited supply, was it selling out the way in which the Pro is selling out? I don't know if the critics are claiming that the Pro isn't a success; rather, they're calling Microsoft on marketing BS.

And yes, criticizing the color is a pretty weak argument.
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 15:28   #2286
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
As for the power button, two of the PCs I work at have the power button near the floor (one of them is hidden bellow a table and chairs), NOT handy at all to press the power button each time I have to shutdown them, gives me enough trouble to power them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Sometimes hitting the power button can be more awkward than doing it from software.
Your comments are all nice and cool, but i think we should go back to the post we were answering :
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathazza View Post
I bought a touchscreen windows 8 laptop this week (asus s200E) and for something that is meant to be intuitive windows 8 feels remarkably laboured and unfriendly. i.e it took me five minutes to find out how to shut the thing down as they hid that behind 3-4 layers of needless touchscreenery.
Are you guys trying to say that hitting the power button or closing the lid on a laptop is hard or awkward ?
Old 12th Feb 2013, 15:42   #2287
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Your comments are all nice and cool, but i think we should go back to the post we were answering :

Are you guys trying to say that hitting the power button or closing the lid on a laptop is hard or awkward ?
ok.....

Quote:
I have also had instances where shutting using the power button wasn't successful. Something I have never experienced with the software method.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 15:44   #2288
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The only case using power button would not work is if you assigned "No action" to the power button in Power Options.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:09   #2289
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I have also had instances where shutting using the power button wasn't successful. Something I have never experienced with the software method.
I use the power button to shut down my pc every time, and do so every night. and for the entire time I've been using Windows 8 (since the first public beta, more than a year ago?) I've not had an issue with it not working.

The default assignment to hitting the power button is to shut-down the computer, so there shouldn't be an issue really.

Having said all of this, I still have no idea why MS didn't include a shut-down button on the start screen, or directly on the charms bar. For people used to hitting start->shut down, doing this would have simply avoided criticism.

Quote:
The number of actions from 7 and vista was was 1 click start 2 click shutdown. Now its 1 activate charms, 2 click on settings, 3 click power, 4 click shutdown. Thats more actions as far as I can tell.
To be pedantic, in Vista is was 3 clicks. Start->small button next to sleep->shut down. The default assignment for the sleep button couldn't be changed from what I remember (this changed in 7). I could check on my gf's laptop which is running Vista, but can't be bothered right now.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |

Last edited by dullonien; 12th Feb 2013 at 16:14.
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:19   #2290
RedFlames
Bringer of Meh

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullonien View Post
Having said all of this, I still have no idea why MS didn't include a shut-down button on the start screen.
Because you're supposed to just let it go to sleep? Everything seems to be geared towards a tablet/phone-like 'always on' [in some form] state of affairs.

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:30   #2291
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Because you're supposed to just let it go to sleep? Everything seems to be geared towards a tablet/phone-like 'always on' [in some form] state of affairs.
I've ran into problems leaving my pc to go to sleep over several days, but that's mainly due to the several demanding programs I often have open. Whilst the memory management is good in Windows 8, it can struggle coming out of sleep with several 50MP drawings open in Photoshop, a few complex AutoCAD drawings, and a 3ds Max model open. When I have that much open though, windows also struggles slightly to cycle between programs.

This probably just highlights that I need more RAM, rather than a problem with the sleep instead of shut-down premise.
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:37   #2292
RedFlames
Bringer of Meh

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
I generally save and close anything strenuous like 3ds max or large photoshop stuff before letting it sleep as I had that exact problem with windows 7 [it not waking up]. When it did wake up it took a while to get it's bearings again.

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:45   #2293
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullonien View Post
To be pedantic, in Vista is was 3 clicks. Start->small button next to sleep->shut down. The default assignment for the sleep button couldn't be changed from what I remember (this changed in 7). I could check on my gf's laptop which is running Vista, but can't be bothered right now.
You are right, that's the default. I had vistas power button set to shutdown not suspend. This is not a choice you get in windows 8 as there is no power button to set
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:04   #2294
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
The only case using power button would not work is if you assigned "No action" to the power button in Power Options.
Try shutting it down if its in a bit of a sleep is one instance I can think of. But if I have had trouble it was probably due to some bit of software running somewhere, or not shutdown fully.

Last edited by theshadow2001; 12th Feb 2013 at 17:10.
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:07   #2295
faugusztin

Quote:
Try shutting it down if its in a bit of a sleep is one instance I can think of.
4 second push works all the time .
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:25   #2296
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Though worth noting that is what completely killed my previous install and caused much much swearing in the house!
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:31   #2297
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
W7, press Start, press Shutdown, two actions.
Three. Press Start, Press Shutdown, Press the right option from the Shutdown menu (Shutdown, Hibernate, Sleep).

Quote:
As RichCreedy says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
or create a shortcut on the desktop/modern interface its not hard shutdown -s
Some BIOS have an option to turn on the PC by pressing a key on the keyboard. I once had an MSI dual MP board that would turn on the PC if you just typed in a password. Pretty neat.

Quote:
You are right, that's the default. I had vistas power button set to shutdown not suspend. This is not a choice you get in windows 8 as there is no power button to set
Try power management settings?

Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:53   #2298
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Try power management settings?
Oops, I meant software button, like in 7 and vista and what you get with start8
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:57   #2299
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
When I click the Win 8 power button, a little menu comes up with the options Shutdown, Hibernate, Suspend. Only when I select one of these options does it proceed. Does that not happen with you?

Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 18:19   #2300
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
When I click the Win 8 power button, a little menu comes up with the options Shutdown, Hibernate, Suspend. Only when I select one of these options does it proceed. Does that not happen with you?
Yes it does thats exactly what happens. What I was referring to was the button below (ignore the red arrow)

which says "Shut down" and is beside the little arrow button that gives you all of your shutdown log out and restart options.

Windows 8 does not have an equivalent of this button, which can be configured with a single purpose such as shutdown, logout sleep etc.

Which is where I get the two step shutdown, start and then this button.

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview