bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 9th Feb 2013, 01:39   #41
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx0forever View Post
now thats good insight! thank you!

well the plan is that sometime in the future to upgrade to a belt frive from the motor to the threaded rod.., ( so i can use different sized pulleys.., ).., but this motor mount i have right now is highly temporary., i aim to get the machine running so i can cnc cut better motor mounts.,

as far as i know , the best way to dissapate the resonance of milling is to basically build it overkill, with HEAVY materials.., ( kind of what im doing)
example, big $$$ mill, is basically a big cast iron lump , there is a reason for this..,

and with as much as possible of my machine being homemade, leads to easy design changes later on..,
Well your absolutely right about reducing the resonance and vibration. Your best bet is to just add mass! The thing to keep in mind though is that there really needs to be a balance between too little mass which could lead to to little rigidity and to much vibration, vs. to much mass which could lead to increased stress on your motors, higher intertia, and sagging on your axes or gantry.

Bracing is good because it can really help provide strength while allowing you to use thinner cross sections on your members, but overkill can add more weight than you want and end up requiring bigger motors to move drive your gantry. Also, hollow shapes such as square tube can be awesome for providing strength but allowing for some weight reduction to keep sagging to a minimum.

Definitely keep torsion in mind. When your cutting material in the "y" direction your z-axis is going to be creating a moment arm thats trying to twist the whole gantry so you will definitely want that make sure your cross sections are beefy enough to handle it. And when cutting in the "x" direction your tool is going to be torqueing on your linear slides, so you want to be sure to space them far enough apart so the deflection can be countered as much as possible.

I'm definitely no expert but hopefully some of this info is helpful! I wish the best man I'm actually planning to start designing my own this weekend if I have enough time, but my construction is still probably 12 months away
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2013, 13:58   #42
mx0forever
Minimodder

mx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
time for a update then:

beginnings of the y motor mount
and the alignment system:

why ?!

threading in progress , oil is a great thing to have here..

one brilliant tool..,
( cutting THICK steel plate.. )

no fancy "sheet metal bend machine" here, just a hamemr and a wise...

wood !
and the beginning of the control box..

some of you might be wondering why in the name of all that is holy, would i need 23 and a bit mm, thick wood for the control box.. the answer will come later on

symmetrical, thats why

and here is the asnwer, i use a thick sheet of wood because , now i can mount the electronics nicely and firmly on the panel, with decent skrews..,

furthermore, why wood?
some may wonder.., and theres a very good reason for this.., in the control box i will be having all sorts of different electrical equipment , and if a wire happens to come loose ,,, and wood does not conduct electricity, so safety mainly..

as i mentioned , wire management i need some feedback here, any good ideas on how to manage this?!

there always comes a point while assembling the threaded rod for the axis where you have to hold on to the threaded rod.., and newer get a good grip.., until now!

late nights working one gets tired..,
homemade zero backlash nut..

finalized the z-axix bearing plate.., when theres not enough material in the corners then one just welds on some..

y axis dolley., stripped and fully welded..

ready for some paint

when it comes to paint, then only the very best will do .., and i have used hammerite for years now and it is the best !

mx0forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2013, 18:20   #43
mx0forever
Minimodder

mx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
no comments .., again

anyway.., update :

decided on the cable management , a bunsh of these, and some zip ties..

even the computer , or adleast all of the parts will be mounted inside this control box..,

the motherboard is spaced up:

and with a long pair of pliers i even managed to get the spacer in for this screw

the GPU, with aftermarket cooling , obviously..

the zip ties tidy it the wiring even more..

yep this will be fun to troubleshoot..., NOT

2 computer PSUs, one for the computer and one as a power supply .., and after some slicing and dicing ( a BRAND NEW PSU .. )

time to break out the energy drink..

now how to make this connection stay together ?, ( soldering is not really an option here.., soldering this thick cables is just asking for trouble )

i used some leftover parts from my other projects .., and if you compare these connectors to the 6-pin gpu connector then you realize these are no ordinary cable terminals , ( they are ment for 50mm square )

drill and cut to make a small pipe , ( it is made out of pure copper with a tim coating )

give it a good squeeze

and some insulaition

stuff just got real..

the massive power connections..

heart of the CNC machine ( the breakout board )

i created a set of hinges earlier ..,

the welding is crap, and will be grinded down and rewelded

anyway , the idea is :, control table up, and easy to use

control table down and out of the way

( it swings deep enough to actualy be "inside" the cnc chassy )

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

as for the off topic pic i posted recently..,

is it a fiberglass port for my soundsystem:

and we are not talking about no small 2-3 inch joke , no no, this is a proper 8 inch port
Old 11th Feb 2013, 22:46   #44
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Old 12th Feb 2013, 22:12   #45
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
..., i saw it aswell..,
but what are the options here ?, search everywhere and HOPEFULLY find a matching capacidor and break out the soldering iron?

or just leaving it alone..,, because this is an a old computer, and a very simple one.., so maybe it wont affect the computer anytime soon ( a few years ), and the worst case scenario the computer will stop booting in a few months time and then i can go back to option A

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

, update time.. !!

time to figure out the HDD mounts.., and here seems to be a good place..

some raw material.., i beleve this sheet to be 3mm thick but has rusted down to 2,5 ich..

seems to clear just fine.., and even the usb ?jumper connectors? are accessable

the hole pattern .., and always some of the holes dont really seem to line up, however precise you measure them.., of cource this time is no exception, ( slightly bigger holes fixed this error )

quick coat of paint

dual 80gb IDE HDDs, ( one storage, other windows)

the final 2 couplings arrived

cutting out the pieces for the x-axis, threaded rod bearing holders.. ( this is not the bearing.., its just something round i had nearby )

8 mm thick steel, cutting freehand
( to you who has not tried plasma cutting , then try to wear 3 pares of sunglasses in a slightly dim room and follow a black marker line on a dark paper , with a laser-pointer holding the laser perfectly perpendicular to the paper .., this is just to give you an idea to why my cuts look like crap.. )

Im a man of my word.., some days ago someone requested a pic of the whole machine.., so today i cleared away all the junk and took a few pictures.. ( the z axis is still in a 100 pieces , after some paint )

once i get on with cutting metal i cover the elctronics ..

tought up a ingenious way to mount the sheet metal for drilling ( holesaw )

works like a dream, ( more then i can say for my drillpress )

welded them together..,

this it the idea..,

marking the holes for the alignment bolts..

got lazy, and jsut plasmad out the holes..

the heavy duty washers

ok time to call it a day...

COMMENTS !!!
Old 12th Feb 2013, 22:39   #46
shinji2k
Minimodder

shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
COMMENTS !!!
Don't worry, I'm still paying attention. And you need to hurry up, I wanna see this thing in action!
shinji2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2013, 23:25   #47
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
..., i saw it aswell..,
but what are the options here ?, search everywhere and HOPEFULLY find a matching capacidor and break out the soldering iron?
I've actually had pretty good luck with radio shack for those caps. But!(I know, never start a sentence with but) if the caps are already starting to swell, then most likely the other caps will start going soonish as well. The one between the pci slots probably won't cause you any problems, it's the one over by the ide ports. I'm not sure what that one is working with. You really don't want your computer to crap out in the middle of a job, all kinds of fun things can happen. It might just stop right there, or it might continue in whatever direction it was moving until it hits the stops, hopefully it stops at the stops.... You could also check around places like the salvation army or other places like that. I know the company I work for drops off all our old computers, and our clients computers there for recycle.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 07:44   #48
Azariel
Multimodder

Azariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for president
Each update I am amazed again and wonder how the entire thing will look as I can't really get the full picture in my mind yet.

One funny thing is that when I think about a CnC machine, I think about very small pieces and precision engineering. And I absolutely love the contrast your machine creates to that image
Azariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:22   #49
CMos
Minimodder

CMos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome project; I will follow
CMos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 13:03   #50
coolamasta
Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesome amounts of effort going into this, will be watching

My Main Rigs:~ H2O'd i7 3770K @ 4.5 - 16GB - H2O'd GTX 670 | Asus Z9PE-W8, EP-Xeon 2670 @ 3.2 - 16GB
| ~~~ My Current Dual EP-Xeon 2670 Project ~~~ | ~~~ My Mitsubishi Evo Track Car Project ~~~ |
coolamasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 14:09   #51
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azariel View Post
Each update I am amazed again and wonder how the entire thing will look as I can't really get the full picture in my mind yet.

One funny thing is that when I think about a CnC machine, I think about very small pieces and precision engineering. And I absolutely love the contrast your machine creates to that image
^ That & Looking forward to see this finished and see what it will produce
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2013, 22:06   #52
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
I've actually had pretty good luck with radio shack for those caps. But!(I know, never start a sentence with but) if the caps are already starting to swell, then most likely the other caps will start going soonish as well. The one between the pci slots probably won't cause you any problems, it's the one over by the ide ports. I'm not sure what that one is working with. You really don't want your computer to crap out in the middle of a job, all kinds of fun things can happen. It might just stop right there, or it might continue in whatever direction it was moving until it hits the stops, hopefully it stops at the stops.... You could also check around places like the salvation army or other places like that. I know the company I work for drops off all our old computers, and our clients computers there for recycle.
Well for the moment ill probebly stay with my option A, ( leave it alone )

as for the consequences you mentioned ..,
well first of all i am going to use a proper emergency stop , unlike basicallt every project i have seen thus far.., my e-stop, will cut all power to the motors, drivers, electronics, ect and will send the stop signal to the computer .., i might leave the comptuer running not sure..., but the difference is that many project i have seen just have the e-stop connected to the breakout board ( crazy )

( i have studied "control technology", and one of the more basic thing we learned was that the e-stop has to kill EVERYTHING, and if anything fails in the e-stop circut ,everything will die aswell .. )

i will do the same with the limit switches, if any switches is triggerd or if the circut breaks , then the motors will die.., and the software gets a e-stop signal..,
one of the biggest dangers with cnc machines is that they can hurt themselves ( not to mention you )

as for the possibility of the computer crapping itself, well it just has to be a acceptable risk for the time being ..

////////////////////////////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azariel View Post

Hehe .., well theres a very detailed picture of the whole machine .., ( in my head ).., i basically build as i go along.., when its time for the next step, i just look around at what i have to work with and come up with something.,

im guessing that most of the homemade cnc machines you have seen are the small desktop versions.., , well i have been building and inventing different machines for alla my life basically.., and one thing i have learned over the years is that its REALLY hard to get precision in the ways needed for this machine ., so i'm using this system, to have alot of adjustments so i can finetune in the precision i need... ( and this has worked like a charm thus far.. )

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE TIME!!!

small treat in the end..

and ofcource i like to thank everybody who has commented and given feedback keep it up!

bearings mounted ( ran out of washers.. )

testing how good the rod rotates.., ( conclusion, fine tuning with a hammer is needed later on.. )

my marker died.., no problems just grab a skrew and scribe.. hardcore..

beginnings of the motor mounts

my favorite tools.., this is how i bend sheetmetal.., ( bare in mind.., its 3mm thick steel )

eyeball it..

tacked in place..,

takes you 3 sec.., to scroll , takes me 30 min to make..

bolted the z and y axis together again..

made a bit more permanend motor mount ( not clamps )

this damn lump weighs in at 11kg , before any router , plasma or anything.,

dual shaft cheesecake!

got damn fed up with running out of wire everytime i did some wiring .., ( this here is 100+m , and i have used 30+ thus far )

on the topic of beeing mad.., this little switch has been a constant irritaition since i got a plasma.., i always manage to forget it in the wrong position when switching between plasma and welding..

the computer still works..

FINALLY AFTER 2,5 WEEKS !!!

did i , or did i not predict that i will get some BASIC cnc action in the middle of this week.., hehe!

ok so i maybe cut a corner or 2 to get it working .., but i could'nt wait..

next up 3-5 years of finetuning.....
Old 13th Feb 2013, 23:34   #53
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

Sweet! Now you can use your cnc to make better parts for itself. At least that's what I see most people use their home made cnc machines for....
Old 14th Feb 2013, 18:58   #54
mx0forever
Minimodder

well time for a small update.,
i have been tinkering away to get the software running correctly , still a long way to go..

anyway , some of the other things i got done today:
fixed a set of more solid zero backlach nuts for the x axis..

wiring ,OH YEAH

made a quick and dirty mount for the router to test milling

flexes like crazy ..

protect the electronics..

even found a good use for the old pc case..

because i ran out of clamps , so i took 2 heavy weights , ( worked a charm )

the bit im using at the moment is a ball end 7mm

(size is about 50mm, in outer-diameter )

heres a bunch of settings i used to cut a circle.., and there is a nice little video of this ( and as soon as my damn computer stops bluescreening , i will upload it )

ok here im just playng around..,

anybody knows of any good g-code program ?
Old 14th Feb 2013, 20:53   #55
tekonivel
Multimodder

tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!tekonivel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Nice work! Have to love those weights, makes me wonder what else is hiding in your work shop.
tekonivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 21:16   #56
Father-Time
Multimodder

Father-Time has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is true modding, find a problem, find a spare part, bit of steel, leftover case....., fix problem, move onto next problem

AWESOME!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 21:26   #57
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
I am just so impressed that this works seemingly as well as it does. It's certainly not pretty, but most importantly it's functional, and I'm very jelly right now. Heck maybe you could design another whilst using this one to make the components? This is down the line of course, wouldn't expect you to abandon this baby.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 21:50   #58
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Incredibly moving forward!!! Love that you got it up and running! (sort of) =P

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 22:13   #59
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekonivel View Post
Nice work! Have to love those weights, makes me wonder what else is hiding in your work shop.
i have piles of funky stuff layng around.., hehe
and a even more incredible list of stuff that has rolled out the door ..

ok could'nt help myself:

want to know more :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATtk...eature=related

still want to know more, pm me..

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father-Time View Post
This is true modding, find a problem, find a spare part, bit of steel, leftover case....., fix problem, move onto next problem

AWESOME!

Modding as it should be!, amen to that !!!

///////////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post
I am just so impressed that this works seemingly as well as it does. It's certainly not pretty, but most importantly it's functional, and I'm very jelly right now. Heck maybe you could design another whilst using this one to make the components? This is down the line of course, wouldn't expect you to abandon this baby.
function is nr.1, then safety, and looks ect..

maybe maybe.., ( dreaming of a proper cnc tabeltop size and milling hardend steel with easy.. but this is stilla few lifetimes away.)

/////////////////////////////

as mentioned in my last post a video was promised, and a video has been uploaded..:
Old 14th Feb 2013, 22:15   #60
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Heavy Metal !!! cool project and makes me want to raid the scrapyard

Tags
cnc, homemade, plasma, router, table

View Mode